Gum

A Story of a Complicated Friendship

Jinhee got off the bus and entered the school building like it was any other day. But for some reason, more people than usual were staring at her. Sure she had been digging around in the park this morning, but she couldn’t have been any dirtier than she was any other day. She ignored them and continued on her way. Her earphones made her unable to hear what the people were whispering about; otherwise she would have known that everyone was whispering about seeing her friendly with the boys, specifically Junhyung and Hyunseung.

 

She tried to enter her classroom, but was stopped by the same girls in her class as yesterday. They said something, but she couldn’t hear them over her music. They yanked the earphones out.

 

“We told you to stay away from them yesterday!” They growled and shoved her into the door frame.

 

“You don’t learn do you? Dumb ugly .” They pushed her around some more. “You have money? So what? You don’t get privileges here for that .” They pulled at her hair, but the girl had rings on and it got stuck in Jinhee’s hair. “What the hell?” She tried to get her hand free by pulling, but since she was pulling her hair, Jinhee had to follow her yanking.

 

“What are you doing?” Dongwoon yelled angrily, trying to separate the girls.

 

“My hand is stuck!” The girl screamed.

 

“You should be careful. I might have bugs in here waiting to crawl onto you.” Jinhee couldn’t resist saying it. Unfortunately the girl freaked out and started pulling harder, making her struggle to follow her. This time Jinhee got irritated, and her head was hurting too much. She grabbed the girl’s hand and pinned her to the wall with her body until she got her hair free.

 

“Oh my God! There’s a bug on me! There’s a bug on me isn’t there?!” She screamed. Jinhee was surprised her ear didn’t start bleeding from the shrillness of it.

 

“Relax. I was kidding.” Jinhee rolled her eyes. “If there was a bug on you, I would have rescued it from you by now. Life would be so much easier if I had short hair.” She sighed trying to somewhat straighten out her hair.

 

“What happened here?” Doojoon laughed entering the room with the other guys. “The guys and I just heard a bunch of screaming.”

 

“They were bullying her again. Or are you going to say it was a game?”

 

“She said my hair was just so pretty that she had to run her hands through it. But she has these rings on her fingers you see.” Jinhee smiled innocently, “So it got stuck.”

 

“They were bullying her.” A guy in class confirmed.

 

“Which ones?” Junhyung asked looking around, pissed.

 

“It was those three next to the screaming girl, and two over there by the door. One left the room when Dongwoon appeared.”

 

“We’ll find her later.” KiKwang smiled.

 

“No need. Got her.” Yoseob and his sister dragged in a crying girl.

 

“Yup, these are the same girls as yesterday.” Hyunseung affirmed nodding.

 

“Just admit that these girls were assaulting you.” Junhyung helped Jinhee fix her even more knotted than usual hair.

 

“Define assault…”

 

“Did she shove you around? Throw your things around? Pull your hair and possibly get their hand stuck in the process?” Doojoon grinned.

 

“I know you would never hit a girl, and neither do we,” Junhyung smiled, “But Yoseob’s kind Noona and her friends over there don’t have that kind of problem.”

 

“Nothing happened.”

 

“Well, since we’re here. We’ll hit them anyway.” Yoseob’s Noona grinned maliciously at the one she had a hold on.

 

“Stop!” She tried to interfere, but Junhyung had a firm hold on her.

 

“Dude, calm your stare. You look like you want to hit the girls too.” Yoseob nudged Dongwoon playfully.

 

“I do.” He said dangerously quiet, and looked out the window to try and calm down.

 

“Stop hitting them!” Jinhee continued to try to interfere.

 

“If you’re afraid they’re going to retaliate worse to you, don’t worry. We got your back!” Yoseob’s Noona smiled and kicked a girl that was on the ground in the stomach.

 

“No! They shouldn’t be getting beat up for someone like me. It’s not a big deal!”

 

“They were bullying you! They were pulling your hair! How is that nothing? You expected me—us to just sit on our hands?” Dongwoon rounded on her, shaking with rage.

 

“I stay out of the fights I know you get into all the time.” She looked defiantly back at him.

 

“I’m a guy!”

 

“Misogynist!”

 

“I’m bigger than you!”

 

“What’s size got to do with anything? I could have taken those girls down by myself just fine! It’s the choosing not to that seems to be the problem here!”

 

“What’s going on between those two?” Yoseob’s Noona asked her brother while dragging a girl up by her hair.

 

“I really don’t know.” He shook his head in confusion.

 

“Yes that’s a problem! You don’t stick up for yourself! You don’t mind getting hurt for others, even for a fly, but you don’t care about yourself!”

 

“Why do I need to care about myself? Because of my damn money I got plenty of people worrying about me!”

 

“That’s not the same!”

 

“How is it not?”

 

“What’s going on here?!” The teacher came in to be greeted by such a sight.

 

“Not now!” Jinhee roared at him. He his heel and left obediently. “Ugh! You just made me yell at our teacher!”

 

“Doesn’t he usually listen to you anyway?” Dongwoon scoffed.

 

“Yes! But that doesn’t mean I should yell at him!”

 

“Stop yelling at me!”

 

“You started this!”

 

“What?!”

 

“You yelled at me first!”

 

“I was yelling because you don’t take care of yourself enough! I’m sorry for being concerned!”

 

“It’s no longer your place to BE concerned for me!” The accumulated hurt she was feeling was all going to burst now.

 

“What?” He took a step back from her, his eyes betraying how hurt he was really feeling.

 

“Two years ago! We were friends! We studied and took the exams for this school to stay together! I begged my mom not to send me to a private school! You begged yours to let you go to this arts school. Then what? You stop talking to me? Not even a nod as a hello in the hallway! Fine. I accepted that you were no longer my friend and I was going to be alone here. You! How dare you yell at me? How dare you pretend to care about my wellbeing now? Because your friends think I’m cool? Is that it? You know what? Screw this! There’s a new exhibit in the museum showing fossilized spiders, I’m out.” She shook herself out of Junhyung’s hold, which was easy since his grip slackened when she started screaming. She grabbed her bag and stormed out.

 

There was an awkward moment of silence in the room.

 

“Have you ever seen her that mad before?” Junhyung asked his taller cousin.

 

“Never…”

 

“I knew she was probably hurt, but I didn’t think she was this mad at you…”

 

“I figured she wouldn’t care either way.”

 

“Idiot, you were her best friend. Of course she would care.”

 

“She doesn’t need someone like me in her life anyway.”

 

Junhyung sighed at his depressed cousin.

 

“Could someone clue us in?” Yoseob raised his hand and the others all nodded. “She didn’t seem like the type to yell at people…”

 

“Didn't you hear her?” His sister laughed. “Buddy boy over here dropped her like hot cakes ’cause he got popular in high school. Girly was hurt because of it, but bottled it up till now. Poor girl. You’re a prick.” She sneered at Dongwoon.

 

“It’s not like that.” Junhyung sighed.

 

“I’d be sticking to her like gum if I could.” Dongwoon sighed quietly and left with his head down.

 

 

 


 

 

Author's Note

 

Yes, Yoseob's Noona is a thug. I love it lol.

 

And what really happened between those two? What was really their relationship?

It's still being hammered out in my head hehe.

 

Hmmm, I thought about Mir too, but the character is supposed to be a college graduate, so he doesn't fit the bill. I like MBlaq too, they're really funny. And Rain would be too old and mature. Sigh. Oh well, an excuse to look at more kpop boys :D

 

Random Question Time:

 

What kind of girl should Junhyung be with?

You can base your answers of real life celebrities too. Though not Hara, because they broke up, and I feel like writing them together would be Awkkie.

 

Thanks so much for reading and commenting and subscribing Jang Rancho!