Convenience

A Story of a Complicated Friendship

Chapter Nineteen

 

“Care to repeat that?” Jinhee cocked an eyebrow at Doojoon, one of the few people she considers a good friend, and usually one considered to be of sound mind. “I think I misheard you. Or I suddenly stopped understanding the Korean language, because I swear, I just heard you ask me to date you with the clear possibility – and intention of getting married.”

Doojoon hated that he was doing this, but he agreed to this already. The words were already out of his mouth. There was no taking it back. “Look, we both need to get married, and we both need to get married earlier than others. Neither of us really expects to get married to someone we really love, but I care about you at least. And I know you. I’m comfortable with you, and a marriage with you wouldn’t be terrible. You like me too, we’re friends, and you trust me.”

“Did your mom put you up to this?”

“No. Think about it. We know we don’t like each other like that, and never will, but we’re comfortable with each other. You’re not comfortable with Jong Hyun. You put on your ‘polite society’ face when you see him. You even speak in a different tone of voice. You make all of the decisions and lead the relationship. You have to tell him what you want, even tell him what he wants. Sure, he’s a likable guy, but you already like me. Why not?”

Jinhee stared at him expressionlessly. “What about Jiwon?”

“I may like her, but it’s impossible. My mother would never allow me to marry someone not of status. I’ve heard some of the prospects she has for me – aside from you. I met some of them at the banquet. I hate them. They’re annoying and didn’t even try to have a real conversation with me.”

“Are you sure you’ll be okay with this?”

“If you’re okay with it, then I’m okay with it.”

“Okay then. For now, we are dating. But it’s nothing permanent like a marriage as of yet. Make that clear to your mother. We’ll try dating, and if it’s okay, we’ll see about marrying each other. I don’t want you to regret this.”

“So you really don’t care who you marry, do you?”

“Not really. As long as the person is decent, everyone is essentially the same to me. But with you, at least I don’t have to pretend to love you to you.” Jinhee shrugged carelessly. “I’ll call Jong Hyun now.”

Jinhee called and pretended to be sympathetic to the guy she just dumped over a telephone call. She sighed inwardly when the phone call ran longer than she wanted. “I think you’ll get over me faster if we stopped talking. So this is my goodbye to you. I’ll see you around. Have a good life.” She hung up before he could say anything. “Sorry about the wait.”

“… You didn’t really care about him at all, did you?”

“He was likable. I was starting to like him, kind of. But I can’t say I cared really. I mean, I wouldn’t like it if he died, but yeah…”

“You’re a bit scary sometimes.”

“I know.” She chuckled. “How are we going to tell the others? This is kind of a big deal to people like them, even if we could care less about this.”

“Well, first, I’m using you as a human shield to protect me from Junhyung, and then we just say it. Or be subtle and go around holding hands and being couple-like.”

“But we do couple-like things like holding hands already.” Jinhee frowned.

“Hmmm…” Doojoon looked thoughtful for a moment. Suddenly he swooped in and kissed her. She was startled, but didn’t move.  He backed off and sighed. “That do anything for you?”

“Not a thing.” She smiled. “It was kind of weird actually.”

“Yeah. Sorry if that was your first kiss by the way.”

“I’ve kissed once before.”

“Really? With Jong Hyun? He didn’t strike me as the type.”

“No. With someone else long ago.” Jinhee smiled secretively. She thought back to when she and Dongwoon were ten years old. They had fallen asleep watching TV again. She woke up and saw him still sleeping beside her. Junhyung was across the room, snoring away. She had impulsively kissed the sleeping Dongwoon. She didn’t know why she did it, but she did, and that was how she gave her first kiss to her best friend. “Was that your first? I doubt it.”

“I’ve kissed a few times before.” He laughed. “Is this really okay for you? You said status doesn’t matter, so you might actually have a chance to marry who you want.”

“I can only think of one person I’d want to marry, but there are two problems. The first is that he doesn’t feel the same way towards me. The second is that I would never want him to be stuck in my world. It’ll suffocate you if you can’t take the pressure. Even if you can, it still . I’d rather marry someone I don’t love and suffocate them, no offense to you. At least I know you understand what you’re getting into. You’re already living in my world.”

“That is true.” He nodded.

“Your secret might end up coming out if you date me. Are you okay with that?”

“I planned on telling them when we tell them we’re dating anyway.”

“The girls in school are going to go crazy.”

“You think they’re going to start bothering you again?”

“Maybe, but I mean in another way. You’re one of the six most popular guys in school, you’re decent in school work, which means you’re smart in this school, you’re athletic and good looking, and now we’re adding wealthy to this list. My ears might start bleeding if your fans’ screams get any louder.”

“Do what we do in the morning going to class, wear ear plugs.”

“I wear earphones, but even they don’t drown that nonsense out.”

“You do have really sensitive hearing.”

“A gift and a curse.” Jinhee grimaced, “Lunch is over. Let’s get back to class. We’ll announce it officially to them during club activities.”

“We don’t have to if you don’t want to.”

“Don’t worry about it.”

The walk back to class felt longer than usual. It wasn’t that they were awkward together, they were just unsure of how to be a couple with each other. They held hands easily enough. They hugged and cuddled. They shared food and secrets. They did everything short of kissing.

The two got back to class just in time. He sat her down at her desk, glanced at Dongwoon (who was staring at them intently) and pecked her lips. Jinhee and Doojoon both smiled; it was still so weird to them that they had to smile. Immediately the class was in shocked silence. Then the sound of people sending gossipy text messages could be heard. Doojoon left her side and went to his seat when the teacher walked in and ordered everyone to put away their phones.

“She agreed?” Dongwoon sounded hurt. Doojoon frowned.

“Yeah. She saw the logic in marrying me out of convenience. She’s more worried about me possibly regretting this than her own happiness. She doesn’t even care. She broke up with that guy carelessly after we made the agreement right in front of me. It’s true, she doesn’t care about much. It’s scary.”

“It’s not that scary.” Dongwoon smiled wryly.

“So now I’m dating the girl you love. How do you feel? I might even marry her.”

“Like .” He glared out the window. “But I know you’re the best for her. Even if there weren’t circumstances that prevented from pursuing her myself, you’re still better for her.”

They barely had a chance to make it down the corridor to the club room before they were ambushed. Jiwon nearly knocked Jinhee down. Dongwoon, who was walking with his head down behind the newly formed couple, caught her in time. Doojoon barely dodged a punch aimed at his jaw by Junhyung. Jinhee found herself being dragged by So Eun, Jiwon, and Haneul into the club room. Doojoon was backing away from Junhyung, who had to be restrained by Dongwoon and KiKwang. Hyunseung and Yoseob stood in front of Doojoon as a second line of defense.

Jinhee vaguely heard some yelling of ‘My little sister?!’ before the club door shut behind them. Hae Yeon and her friends were there too. The ones who weren’t afraid of the club’s topic of interest anyway.

“I heard you made out with Doojoon in front of your entire class after lunch.” Hae Yeon chuckled.

“I heard you’re getting married.” Haneul nodded.

“I heard you’re pregnant with his baby after cheating on the guy you’ve been dating, and the father is Doojoon.” So Eun added.

“I heard you’re going to elope and live in the states or travel the world. While taking care of yours and Doojoon’s lovechild.” Jiwon giggled.

“It was a peck. Didn’t last even half a second. Give us a moment and we’ll explain it to you guys.” Jinhee rolled her eyes. “Let me out there or I’ll set my ninjas on Junhyung.” The girls let her go. “Guys. Come on in. We need to talk.” KiKwang and Dongwoon still had Junhyung pinned against a wall when she came out. She leapt into his arms. “You want to try fighting him when you’re holding me? I’ll strangle you if you even try.” He grimaced and carried her into the club room.

She jumped off him after they entered and stood between Junhyung and Doojoon at all times. He sighed and stood calmly behind her. Dongwoon stood at his side, ready to block him from another Junhyung attack. Dongwoon tried to smile, but it was tough, so he stopped pretending and just stared out the window again.

“So… we’re dating now.” Jinhee stated simply. “I broke it off with Jong Hyun today, and then I agreed to date Doojoon. Or the other way around, it doesn’t matter.”

“I’m the second son of the ever so prestigious Yoon family.” Doojoon smiled, “We both have to get married young, and my parents already want me married to her anyway.”

“And I just have to marry someone suitable.” Jinhee shrugged. “Doojoon is suitable.”

Suitable? I’m just suitable? Really? I think I’m more than suitable.” Doojoon scoffed.

“Yes, yes, you’re amazing, you crap rainbows, you’re the cat’s pajamas, and any girl would be more than lucky to marry someone like you.” Jinhee rolled her eyes. “So we’re dating now. If you have any problems with that, state it now or forever hold your peace.”

Dongwoon grit his teeth and clenched his fists. Everyone was staring at the three awkwardly, unsure of how to feel about all of this. They remained silent.

“Good. Let it be known that our relationship of convenience remains strictly a secret of those in this room. I’m not the kind of person who likes personable business like this being spread around to people I don’t know.” Jinhee stared pointedly at Hae Yeon’s friends. “I wouldn’t want another mysterious series of coincidences like last month to happen again. I’m sure you wouldn’t either.”

“You get really scary sometimes.” Doojoon grinned. “But I like it.”

“Good. Depending on how this all pans out, you might be stuck with my scary for the rest of your life.”

“So you guys plan on getting married for real?” Haneul cocked an eyebrow at the older girl. “That’s seriously okay to you?”

“Why don’t you care about who you marry? It can’t just be about heirs and society to you? You’re tough, but you’re still a girl.” Jinyoung sighed.

“I’m the heir to AFA before I am a girl. ‘Ahn’ goes before ‘Jinhee’.” Jinhee said simply. “I’ve always known that. I also have a lot more freedom than the others of our social class. I can choose who I marry, as long as they’re alright people. Even so, I’ve never held any illusions as to a picture perfect romantic marriage. I don’t have time for that. Doojoon is one of the very few good choices that fit into the characteristics I want in a spouse.”

“You have ‘wanted characteristics’ for a guy?” Jinsoo gaped at her.

“Of course I do.” Jinhee rolled her eyes. “Just because I don’t really care about a romantic marriage, I do have qualifications for a man.”

“What are they?” Doojoon grinned. “I’m curious as to what qualifications I’ve met for you.”

“Good looking and healthy. Well-mannered and can hold a decent conversation. Can survive at a social function without my help. Not annoying or boring. Can tolerate my love for bugs.” Jinhee sighed. “It’s actually higher standards than anticipated, but these were more or less blurry guidelines.”

“Glad I met the requirements then!” Doojoon grinned.

Jinhee nodded, “Enough of this. Let’s get back to our club activities! Haneul, you’ve been slacking on your daily assignment of image documentation.”

“Sorry…”

 

 

 


 

 

This is all I had prewritten from four years ago. I'm gonna see if I can remember the storyline I had in my head to finish this.