Beef

A Story of a Complicated Friendship

-End of club activities-

 

As the group of club members was leaving the school gates, two cars pulled up in front of them and five guys got out and looked at the seven people strangely.

 

“Hyunseung! We’ve been calling you forever! School’s been out for two hours!” Yoseob yelled dramatically.

 

“I was in a club meeting! I get to take care of Billy today!” He showed the spider happily and everyone could see the blood just leaving Dongwoon’s face.

 

“Dude… what the hell…” Dongwoon groaned and hid behind Doojoon.

 

“I’m a part of the Small Critters Club now!” He beamed. “This is Jinhee, the president. She’s super nice! She’ll help me with my math tomorrow! She tutors for free! And this is Jiwon, our hoobae, but she’s also nice. And these two are Ki Bum and So Eun, they’re a couple – they’re really nice too. This is Jin Gyo, he’s a sunbae, but he doesn’t care about the formalities. He’s dating Jiwon. And this is Haneul! She’s mean, but I like it! She’s a hoobae too.” He laughed, happily introducing everyone.

 

“You’re like a child.” Haneul rolled her eyes.

 

“I think it’s cute. And funny. More funny than cute actually.” Jinhee was more than amused. She held her hand out to see how well Billy was doing with the fly they gave him to eat.

 

Watching the interaction between the two all throughout the club meeting was entertaining to say the least. Usually the club was calm; just a few people who wanted to hang out somewhere after school without being bothered. But today there was Hyunseung, who had a pretty loud voice, and was constantly following Haneul around if he wasn’t following Jinhee around asking questions. Then there was also the fan girls peeping through the glass door to see Hyunseung. Luckily the large amount of bugs and other critters they were surrounded by intimidated the girls too much to even think about coming inside.

 

“Yah! I remember you!” All twelve heads turned to the group of guys coming towards them, glaring at the guys in the car. “You stole my chick at the club last night!”

 

“Ah, it’s you.” KiKwang remembered the guy and chuckled. “He didn’t steal her, she came to him.” He patted Dongwoon on the shoulder.

 

The whole thing quickly turned into some trashy KDrama and Jinhee and Haneul, the two girls closest to the strangers, were grabbed.

 

“Yah! What do you think you’re doing?” Hyunseung frowned and came to get us back quickly, but was shoved back instantly by a lackey.

 

“You smell bad. Let go of me.” Haneul sneered at the one holding her arm.

 

“You’re gross. Do you take care of yourself? There’s dirt even on your face!” The one holding Jinhee looked at her in disgust. He grabbed the jar with Billy. “What? Did you find this spider in your hair?”

 

“Yah! Those girls have nothing to do with this. They just go to this school, leave them out of this.” Dongwoon glared at the one holding Jinhee.

 

She was trying to get Billy back, but the guy was just laughing. He was taller than her, so he easily held it out of her reach.

 

“Give him back.” She glared up at him.

 

“This school .” He laughed and threw the jar down and stomped on it.

 

“Yah!” Dongwoon and Hyunseung yelled. All the boys were coming to the strangers now; teasing girls was one thing, but to do that to Jinhee and the spider was just out of line. Though the fact that the guy dared to grab Jinhee already pissed Dongwoon enough to want to punch the guy's face into a bowl.

 

Jinhee was fuming now. She threw her bag and glasses to Jiwon. “I got this.” She told the boys roughly.

 

Within seconds, every one of the guys was on the ground, knocked out cold with either something broken or bleeding.

 

Jinhee went back to the one who stomped on the jar and took his shoe. She sighed when she saw the dead spider stuck to the bottom.

 

“I’m sorry guys. Billy’s dead.” She turned to her club members sadly. They’ve seen her fight before, so they weren’t as shocked as the guys. Hyunseung quickly recovered and came to look at the shoe. “I’m sorry, I know you were growing an attachment to him.” She said quietly to him.

 

“It’s okay. He had to die eventually.”

 

“He was actually going to die pretty soon. He was old.” Jinhee nodded.

 

“He was? I thought he was just 6 months old!” He stared at her, shocked.

 

“That’s old for this kind of spider. I didn’t want to tell you yet, because you liked him so much.”

 

“Aww! You’re so nice!” He moved the shoe and hugged the small girl. “You’re all covered in dirt, but you don’t smell bad. You’re also skinnier than you look.”

 

“So you’re saying prez unni looks stinky and fat?” Haneul laughed.

 

“No! Not at all! I didn’t mean it like that! You know that right?! Yah! You!" He pointed at Haneul, "Why are you so mean to me?! You are not fat or smelly okay?” Hyunseung assured the small girl over and over again, totally freaking out.

 

Jinhee shook her head and took the guy’s other shoe and received her bag from Jiwon. She made her way over to the flower patch in front of the school and knelt down. She took a small shovel from her bag and began digging.

 

“She carries a shovel around?” Doojoon smiled disbelievingly. She was growing into more and more of worldly wonder to him the more he watched her and got to know her.

 

“That’s our prez unni.” Jiwon chuckled.

 

“Hey! What are you doing? I’m sorry! I didn’t mean to say you were fat or smelly! You don’t have to kill yourself!” Hyunseung rushed over to stop her.

 

She stared up at him, wondering how he even got to that conclusion, “I’m burying Billy. With the shoes, because I feel like not letting that guy over there keep his shoes.” She explained so he would give her the small shovel back.

 

“Oh. Okay.” He nodded and dug the hole for her. She put the shoes in and he covered it up with dirt again. Patting it down gently. “Bye Billy. I hoped you lived a happy life in the girl’s bathroom.” He said causing Jinhee to burst out into a fit of giggles.

 

He roughly pushed her hair out of her face, making her fall back on her . “What are you doing?” She asked when he wouldn’t move his hands from her face.

 

“Without glasses, and if your face wasn’t covered by your tangled hair with all these leaves and dirt in it, you’re actually kinda cute.”

 

“Thanks?”

 

“Hey Hyunseung… What are you doing?” Everyone was starting at the two curiously.

 

“Are you two dating or something?” Junhyung cocked his head to the side.

 

“Oh, no. I just feel like I can be friendly with her. She’s cute and small like a teddy bear.” He hugged her again. “But I actually like Haneul.” He let go of Jinhee to run over to Haneul giggling.

 

“Don’t you dare.” She glared at him. He pouted and didn’t hug her like he wanted to.

 

“Are you okay?” Junhyung casually went over to her with Doojoon following him. “I forgot you could fight like that.”

 

“You knew?” Doojoon gaped at him.

 

“I just said I FORGOT.”

 

“I’m fine. I’m just annoyed. Taking care of Billy for a week was supposed to be Hyunseung’s first assignment as a club member.” Jinhee sighed and got up with the help of Junhyung. “I don’t really get it. Why were they here and why were they being mean to us?”

 

“Apparently that guy’s girl dropped him to try to get with Dongwoon. He got mad and took it out on those that looked the weakest. Unfortunately, you’re small and look weak.” Junhyung explained, dusting her off in a brotherly manner.

 

“I see. So Dongwoon hit the wasp hive and the wasps attacked whatever they got their hands on?”

 

“Yep.” He nodded. “He’s sorry by the way. He’s just not going to come over and say it to you. He knows how much bugs mean to you.”

 

“It’s okay. Like I said; it was going to die pretty soon anyway. Tell him I’m okay if he cares to ask. Or not. Doesn’t matter.” She shrugged and picked up her bag and threw it over her shoulder, not caring that it was covered with dirt from the flowerbed. Junhyung sighed and stopped her to dust it off too. “Thanks.”

 

They waved their farewells to each other and the club members left together without Hyunseung, who was captured by his friends and not allowed to leave with them.

 

“Do you know Junhyung? He was really nice to you.”

 

“We’ve known each other since we were four, or actually earlier than that. His mom used to give me food.” She didn’t think it would be polite to tell people his mom was once an employee for her family.

 

“Oh okay.” Jiwon nodded.

 

“Let’s go eat there today.” Jinhee pointed to a Korean BBQ restaurant. Jinhee usually got to pick where they ate since the rest of the group didn’t really care, and she was paying anyway.

 

“Sounds good.” Everyone nodded and they walked over.

 

They walked in, and instantly, she got distasteful looks from everyone over her dirty appearance. She told the others to get a table and order while she cleaned herself up in the restroom. She smiled at her reflection. She was a mess; she still had leaves from the morning stuck in her long hair. She cleaned herself the best she could and luckily she carried around a spare t-shirt for emergency purposes and changed her shirt. Her skirt was easy to clean, and the color of the fabric didn’t show the dirt too much. She washed her face, hands, arms, and legs as much as she could until she saw her natural white skin – though now pink from the scrubbing. She tied her wet hair back from her face and went back out to join her table of club members.

 

“Did you put face cream on?” So Eun asked when she sat down. Jinhee shook her head and sipped her water thirstily. “Come here. Your face will dry out if I don’t help you take care of your skin.” She sighed and pulled out face cream from her bag and began rubbing it on the other girl’s face for her.

 

“Oh! What a coincidence!” Haneul groaned when she recognized that voice. “We’re going to eat here too!”

 

“No wonder he was so adamant on eating here today.” Yoseob rolled his eyes.

 

“I just thought it was because he loved meat.” KiKwang smiled.

 

“Can we sit with you guys?” Hunseung asked Jinhee happily, even though she couldn’t really see him with So Eun’s hands rubbing the cream into her skin. “Oh, you have surprisingly clear skin.”

 

“Oh, so now you thought our prez was going to have bad skin?” Haneul again.

 

Needless to say, he freaked again. Jinhee frowned at the younger girl. “Calm down. I know what you mean. Ask the other members if they mind you joining us. I don’t care either way.”

 

“Go for it.” Everyone but Haneul said.

 

“Yay! I’m sitting next to Haneul!” He plopped down next to her unceremoniously before she could protest.

 

“That was Jinhee’s seat!” She glared at him.

 

“It’s okay. He can sit there. If he doesn’t, I might end up between you two. I would kill myself if I had to be the one that keeps you two apart.” Jinhee chuckled heartlessly and sat down next to Jin Gyo instead.

 

Jinhee called over a waitress, who could barely pay attention when she saw the cute boys at the table. “Double our order, and put it on my tab.” Jinhee smiled politely up at her.

 

“You don’t have to pay for us.” Junhyung said, sitting down next to her. He knew she wasn’t the biggest fan of sitting very close to guys she’s never met before, and the others would get too friendly with her before she could get used to them. Much like the way Hyunseung already was to her, but at least then she’d already had time to adjust to him.

 

“It’s fine. Consider it a thank you for joining us tonight for dinner.” She grinned. “Feel free to order more.” She told the others down the table from them. “How’s your mom? Is her catering business still doing well?” She asked Junhyung, sipping more water.

 

“Yeah. She’s doing great. She was stressed because she had to prepare for a huge banquet last week. She did awesome, as expected.”

 

“I think she just freaks out to freak out. She lives off that stress.” She joked.

 

“She says she wants you to come over for dinner again, but wasn’t sure if you would be okay with that. With you having a new cook and all…”

 

“Can I?” She turned to him excitedly.

 

“You want to?” He was amused.

 

She nodded happily. “I like her cooking. It tastes like what a mother’s cooking should taste like. The new cook came from some uppity restaurant in the states. Everything is so pretentious. I swear he’ll put gold flakes in the Kimchi Jjigae if he could.” She grimaced. “Plus, dinner with your family means I don’t have to eat alone…” She said the last part quietly.

 

He patted her head affectionately. “Understood. Do you want to come to dinner tomorrow?”

 

“Hmm, I can’t. I’m tutoring Hyunseung tomorrow. Plus your mom may not like the short notice. How about we make it the day after tomorrow, Friday?” She asked and he nodded agreeing to the plans.

 

“Wow, you two are surprisingly close.” KiKwang stared at the two.

 

“Not really. She’s close with my mom rather than me.” He chuckled. “My mom used to be the cook in her house for almost ten years until my mom quit to start up her catering business.”

 

“So that’s what you meant by his mom giving you food.” The club members nodded.

 

“You didn’t tell them my mom worked for you?”

 

“It sounded rude to say something like that.” She shrugged.

 

“Hey, can you help me with my English homework?” Yoseob asked when the meat was placed down on the table.

 

“No! She’s helping me tomorrow.” Hyunseung pouted.

 

“It’s okay. I can tutor you both. It’s fine.”

 

“I need help with English too!” KiKwang raised his hand grinning.

 

“Can you help me with Korean?” Doojoon grinned.

 

“Hey…” Junhyung nudged her, not really looking at her, “Physics…” He cleared his throat awkwardly.

 

“Of course.” She nodded to him, smiling at his reluctance to ask for help.

 

“Hey, you need help with chemistry don’t you?” Doojoon nudged Dongwoon.

 

“It’s fine. I don’t need help.”

 

“Well, I’ll be holding the tutoring session at my house. Join or not. It doesn’t really matter to me.” Jinhee sighed. “There’ll also be free food. Though I don't think it'll be all that tempting. Seriously, our new cook .” She laughed to Junhyung. “My mom said she’s looking for a replacement because he gave her some strange dish that ended up making her sick. He was rude about it too. He said something about our Korean stomachs in French. I couldn’t really understand him; I quit my French lessons after middle school.”

 

“I’m surprised your mom didn’t fire him right then.”

 

“She was going to. But she decided to keep him around a little longer to make him a bit more miserable and have him quit on his own.”

 

“That sounds like something she would do.” Dongwoon smiled bitterly to himself. The only one who heard him was Doojoon, who looked at him curiously.

 

“Are you sure this is okay? This is a lot of food.” They asked after ordering another round of meat.

 

“It’s fine.” Jinhee nodded, happily eating more, listening to all the talking going on around her.

 

“Jinhee!” Yoseob grinned and held out a lettuce wrapped samgyupsal for her.

 

“Uh, I can feed myself.” She smiled awkwardly.

 

“Aw, come on, I wrapped it just for you.”

 

“I guess…” Jinhee agreed as Junhyung frowned and leaned back so Yoseob could feed her over him.

 

She bit down twice after the whole wrap was in and just started laughing.

 

“Yah! What did you do to the wrap?” Junhyung asked the cackling Yoseob, grabbing him by the collar.

 

Jinhee was still smiling and trying to chew the wrap quickly, though tears were leaking from her eyes now.

 

“Pepper paste and two whole pieces of garlic.” Yoseob squeaked out.

 

“Spit it out.” Junhyung held out his hand for her to spit into. She moved her head away and shook her head. She continued chewing though the spiciness was insane. She swallowed it and gulped down rice and water.

 

“Wah, I really wasn’t expecting that!” She smiled and wiped at her tears.

 

“Why didn’t you spit it out?” Junhyung.

 

“Because that’s rude, and by the time you knew what I was eating and were trying to get me to spit it out, the spiciness had already enveloped my entire mouth.” Jinhee explained, wadding up lettuce to shove into to get rid of the spiciness still there.

 

“One time, I gave her a pepper covered in pepper paste with three pieces of garlic in a lettuce wrap. She still ate it smiling.” Haneul chuckled. “Either she’s nice, or a masochist.”

 

“She’s nice.” The table echoed.

 

“I think it’s funny.” Jinhee shrugged, eating a rolled egg. "Weird things can be fun."

 

“Like the girls who were playing that weird game with you earlier today?” Hyunseung asked.

 

“Uh…. Yeah…” She nodded hesitantly.

 

“What girls?” Junhyung asked.

 

“You mean the girls that looked rough and seemed like they hated Unni?” Jiwon cocked her head to the side.

 

“They hated you?” Hyunseung asked, surprised. “Were they really bullying you? I asked but you wouldn’t say anything! You smiled, so I thought it was a game.” He looked so down. “I’m sorry…”

 

“No! It was a game.” She smiled reassuringly.

 

“Yah…” Jin Gyo looked down at her. “They were bullying you weren’t they?”

 

“It’s fine. I’m fine.”

 

“Did it have anything to do with the fact that you helped these guys get out of school and then helped this guy join our club?”

 

“I have no idea what you’re talking about.” Jinhee smiled and continued eating happily. “It was a game.”

 

“Now that I think about it. Didn’t they throw all your things around?”

 

“It was part of the game.” Jinhee continued smiling.

 

“Were these girls you were playing games with in our class?” Dongwoon asked.

 

“Maybe.” She shrugged nonchalantly.

 

“How many were there?”

 

“I don’t remember.”

 

“Around seven.” Hyunseung answered.

 

“That’s half the girls in our classroom.” Doojoon sighed. “I’m sorry we caused you trouble.”

 

“I don’t know what you’re apologizing for.” She was adamantly denying everything with a smile.

 

“Why is it when you see others being bullied, you’re so quick to interfere and fight for them, but when someone attacks you, it’s like you don’t care?” Dongwoon grumbled.

 

“Because… it was a game. Now eat. The meat is getting burnt.” She ate like nothing was happening.

 

“Is she always like this?” Yoseob sighed.

 

“Yes.” Junhyung nodded. “I’ve given up on getting her to admit to anything. She’s more stubborn than that kid over there.” He gestured to Hyunseung, who was still bothering Haneul by trying to get her to eat a wrap he made for her.

 

“I’ll be right back.” Jinhee whispered to Junhyung and Jin Gyo, getting up to pay the tab.

 

“We can pay for our portions.” Junhyung held her back, frowning. “I know you have a lot of money, but making you pay for all this is still rude.”

 

“Don’t worry about it. I genuinely enjoyed the meal with you guys. It was very lively.” She grinned. He sighed and let her go.

 

“Is she really paying?” The guys gaped at her and jumped to try and stop her.

 

“Trust us. There’s no stopping her. Remember what she did to those guys? She can easily do it to you too.” Jin Gyo sighed. “We all tried and we ended up on the ground before we even realized she knew we were behind her trying to stop her.”

 

“Her fighting is better than Dongwoon and Junhyung’s.” Yoseob sat back down meekly.

 

“Of course. We learned how to fight together when we were younger.” Junhyung smiled. “Even though she’s kinda weak, she’s quick and has good ears, so we rarely won.”

 

“It helps when I’m looking for and trying to catch the quiet bugs.” Jinhee grinned, coming back. “But the moment I slip up and you guys get a hold of me is game over for me. As fast as I am, you guys are too strong for me.”

 

“You gave me my first black eye.” Junhyung smiled wryly. “You’re weak, but not that weak.”

 

“It was a lucky shot.” She smiled. “Shall we get going then?” They nodded and were surprised by how late it was. It was already dark outside.

 

“Hyunseung, could you walk Haneul home. Her place is just down the street.”

 

“I can walk myself!” She protested when Hyunseung grinned and nodded.

 

“It’s late. Just go. Text me when you’re home safe.” She waved goodbye and turned to leave.

 

“You’re not getting driven home?” Junhyung stopped her.

 

“No. I finally got my mom to stop sending him for me a while back.”

 

“We’ll take you home.”

 

“Oh it’s okay. I know your house is in the opposite direction from mine. It’s not that far and I’m taking the bus at the stop down the way.”

 

“It’s dangerous for you to be alone this late.”

 

“It’s dangerous for anyone to be alone anywhere at any time.” She reasoned logically.

 

“Where do you live? Maybe one of us can walk with you.” Doojoon asked.

 

“Nowhere near any of you.” She smiled wryly. “I live away from most of the school.”

 

“She lives in an isolated area for mansions.” So Eun chuckled.

 

“We’ll drive you.” They tried to stop her.

 

“I don’t know why you’re making a big deal out of this. I’ve walked around at later hours. I went jogging at 2AM before and I was fine.” She sighed.

 

“You did what?” Dongwoon whipped his head around to look at her.

 

“Really? Why? You have a gym in your house!” Junhyung scolded her.

 

“Because running outside is different. It feels better when you’re really running outside at night with the cool air rushing past you. A treadmill is just so negative. Running and running but you’re going nowhere.”

 

“Next time, call me and I’ll go jogging with you.” Junhyung shook his head.

 

“I guess. Well I’m going now.” She tried to leave, but was stopped again.

 

“We’re driving you home.” Junhyung threw her over his shoulder.

 

“Fine. Put me down already.” She said calmly. When he put her on the ground safely, she punched his arm. “Jerk.”

 

“You’re riding with me and Doojoon.” He winced and rubbed where she hit him.

 

“You’re going to leave us with this moody beast?” Yoseob and KiKwang stared at Dongwoon in dismay.

 

“Yup.” Junhyung grinned. “See ya.”

 

“Have fun!” Doojoon grinned.

 

-The ride to her home-

 

“Isn’t the stop that would take you home still far from your house?”

 

“Yeah. But the area I walk through is now a highly patrolled neighborhood since more and more influential people moved into the area.”

 

“I see.” Junhyung nodded. “Why didn’t you get a license to drive yourself?”

 

“I have one. My dad bought me a car too. I just don’t like driving.” She answered.

 

“You’re weird.” Doojoon looked at her in the side view mirror.

 

“I’ve been told.” She smiled.

 

“Did they change the gate code?” Junhyung asked when he pulled up to the gate.

 

“Wave this over the sensor.” She handed him her magnetic access pass.

 

“You live in this neighborhood?” Doojoon stared slack jawed at all the mansions surrounding them.

 

“Wait till you see her house. They come from old money making a lot more new money.”

 

“We’re not that rich compared to our neighbors.” Jinhee protested weakly.

 

“Isn’t one of your neighbors related to Bill Gates?”

 

“Maybe…”

 

“This is your house?!” Doojoon’s mouth looked like it was going to split in half.

 

“Right?! They have a basement to house the indoor gym and home theatre.”

 

“Maybe we should have the tutoring session in a place not my house if you guys are just going to react like this about it.” Jinhee grimaced.

 

“No! It’s okay! I’ll tell the other guys to be mentally prepared for this! It just took me by surprise.” Doojoon assured her.

 

“I don’t want you guys to be unable to focus on the material if you’re distracted by my house.”

 

“It’s okay! We won’t! I promise!” He grinned and gave her a thumbs up.

 

“Fine…” she reluctantly agreed and got out the car. She waved goodbye to them as a maid opened the door for her when they saw her in the camera.

 

-In the car-

 

“Tomorrow…” Junhyung started.

 

“We’re going to find the girls who bullied her.” Doojoon said in a matter of fact manner.

 

“Before class starts.” They agreed.

 


Author's Note

 

I'm surprised I even have one reader, thank you so much for reading and commenting, and subscribing Jang Rancho, I heart you!

 

Quick question, why is he called Rancho? I saw that on YT, and I'm still confused. Does he own some ranch or something? Even he was confused.

 

I'm amazed, I never update this fast for stories. I hope I can keep the momentum =)

 

Also, I really like Hyunseung too, he's totally interesting and funny.

 

Random Question Time!

 

Outside of Beast, who is your favorite male idol?

 

I need ideas, I'm thinking of introducing a new character later, but none of the people I think of fit the image I'm thinking of. I need someone dorky, but gentlemenly. A few years older than Beast too would be cool...

 

Again, thank you for reading! Please comment and let me know how I'm doing!