Ize Magazine Interview: Hip Hop Unit [Trans]

Seventeen: SM17ES United!

Q. What do you feel after you performed on the (debut) stage?
S.Coups: No one cried. We were too busy monitoring our stage after we step down from the stage, we were also too busy to think about our next performance.
Vernon: Before debut, the members cried a lot when we were doing mission for MBC MUSIC [Seventeen Project – Debut Big Plan]. We need to gather 1,000 audiences but when we look at the seats, we didn’t know if it’s filled or not, the staff were like “Ah, what should we do?” and acted as if we failed. CEO also talked to us as if he won’t return the rings, but when we turn around our parents were standing behind the curtain. At that time, everyone were crying.
S.Coups: Me, Wonwoo and Vernon didn’t cry at all. Mingyu was wailing. 
Mingyu: It’s fascinating, since I’m a member who usually don’t cry easily. If I feel touched or when I feel annoyed I didn’t cry at all, but weirdly at that day I couldn’t hold it. It’s a feel that I’m feeling for the first time since I was born.
Vernon: Oh, you look like you’re about to cry now?
Mingyu: (As managing his facial expression) I’m not.  

Q. Just like your song’s lyrics, you probably got a lot of doubt for your skills, moreover your debut kept pushed back. How did you endure the long training period with that situation?
S.Coups: At first, it was very tiring. Every year there will be an article about ‘debut’ but it keeps delayed. We experienced frustration a lot but we started to think ‘Let’s just make our own music’. On the dorm rooftop, we make song only with one macbook and one mic, and time flies as we’re recording. Performance Unit’s Hoshi started making a choreography from our songs or foreign songs. And then the agency probably thought ‘They are nearly completed’ and made us debut. Anyway since we had a lot of time, we probably could get ‘Self-Producing idol’ title. 
Mingyu: Actually, as we’re practicing.. I didn’t get more confident on my skills, but I eventually only see my lacking points. So rather than waiting for debut we spent those time on filling our lacking points.
Wonwoo: We even asked to the agency “Can we push back our debut?”
Vernon: To add on what Mingyu hyung said, when we haven’t been a trainee for long, it doesn’t looks hard to be a singer. But as time goes, we discover and heard a lot of things and we realize that we’re lacking.
Mingyu: Performing on stage before debut was a very important experience. If our debut stage was our first stage, I think I wouldn’t be able to show my skills. There were only few people who watched our U-Stream broadcast but it helps me a lot to get used to camera. 

Q. You have a lot of members, I think there are a lot of funny things happened off-stage.
Wonwoo: broadcasting is indeed fun, but when we were on waiting room is even more fun. We really can’t keep quiet. We play game, and there are some members who chat so everyday feels like study tour. I never feel bored. Actually, we stay together all day long but we always have something to talk about. 
Mingyu: If the chat on one side has ended, I’ll go to the other side and talk about another topic. We have a lot of members so we have a lot of chance to chat. That’s why we always have something to talk about but it’s fun.
S.Coups: I’m a leader but indeed, I can’t hold back. That’s why manager hyung always control us, since it’s possible that we could be nuisance to other team who use the waiting room.
Mingyu: We were going to silent down since we keep getting the wits, but when we glanced at them they’re also laughing so I feel relieved.
Wonwoo: Rather than feeling sorry, I feel more ashamed? (Laugh) we practice our personal talent at waiting room and the other team who were watching us suddenly laughed.  

Q. What was the personal talent that you practiced?
S.Coups: Actually… hip hop unit don’t really have personal talent.
Mingyu: As for me, I can show my personal talent if I was asked to. I showed it on broadcasting once and the agency prohibits me to do it again since it doesn’t fit my image. It was Choi Minsoo sunbaenim impersonation but the other members and staff said “even if it doesn’t sounds similiar, the fact that you’re doing it is funny” and told me to do it confidently. That’s why on the radio I show my “It’s SBS [Sand Clock]’s Choi Minsoo” personal talent. Fans were watching outside the window and I was so embarrassed that I couldn’t turn my head.
Wonwoo: I have greed for jokes, so I like to make the members laugh, but they heartlessly didn’t laugh on purpose.
S.Coups: Ha, because it’s boring. Not funny. (Laugh) Wonwoo make jokes all the time. Once, he saw a Kkachi (magpie) flying and he said “Oh, magpie” and then he said “I probably feel Kkachilhae (tired) because Kkachi” (*pun) he always make this kind of jokes. 
Wonwoo: I did that?
S.Coups: Feel embarrassed, don’t you?

Q. After we heard your story, you probably want to do activities (as in comeback) rather than enjoying the break period.
S.Coups: That’s why we tease Woozi. We said “Hurry and give us a song!” and close the studio door so he can’t come out. Other members are probably feeling the same. Thankfully, a lot of people like us so I don’t want to make them wait for a long time.


 

 

 

Trans cr: uygnim