Ize Magazine Interview: Performance Unit [Trans]

Seventeen: SM17ES United!

Q: It seems like Jun and The8 korean skill has improved a lot.
Jun: Recently, when I talk with The8, we not only use chinese but we mix both chinese and korean. I use chinese only when there’s a word that we don’t know. Not too long ago we learn the word friend…shop? Friendship? From the members.
Hoshi: In our chinese textbook there’s this sentence written there ‘Cheers for our friendship’ . Jun asked ‘What’s friendship?’ and I explain while using hand gestures “The feel that we’re feeling now”.
Jun: We even put our arms around each other’s shoulders.
The8: I’m having fun as I learn korean. Slang like ‘Jimotmi’ (Sorry I couldn’t protect you), and ‘Simkung’ (heart attack).
Hoshi: We told The8 to guess ‘Jimotmi’ means and he said “Sorry I can’t do it now?”. (Laugh) We said that it’s a correct answer.  

Q. Probably you don’t have to talk much when you’re discussing about performance.
Hoshi: Jun and The8 understand us when we speak korean. They have been with us for a long time so they get used to our accent and our pronounciation. When we’re doing choreography we don’t detailedly explain it like “Stretch your arms and hold it” but as we’re doing that moves, we say “Do it like this”.

Q. So, does Hoshi made most of the choreography? 
Hoshi: For the 1st album, most of the choreography was made by me but on the next album.. all performance unit members will be participating in making the choreography. For MBC [Show! Music Core] performance, I take a lead role but other members helped me a lot. I always stick only on one style, so I can only show one kind of color. I make it possible for other members to participate, so we have various (style for choreography).
Dino: I really like making a new/fresh choreography. As example, I match the choreography with the lyrics for ‘Oh My God’ that was revealed on MBC MUSIC [Seventeen Project – Debut Big Plan]. (Laugh) I’ve been thinking on “How the group with a lot of members can make choreography differently”, “How to make this member to do the choreography”, etc.  

Q. It seems like each of you have a different style.
Hoshi: Jun does martial arts so he’s strong. So I make him a center for powerful moves, and if we need moves that gives an impact like tumbling - I make The8 do it. I feel that The8’s swift moves are cool. He makes his body moves naturally. When I see it ‘Ah, I should’ve learn tumbling when I was young’. The8 taught me how to do it but I almost injured. (Laugh) After that I never try it again because i’m scared.
Dino: If The8 hyung has swift body, Hoshi hyung has swift choreography style. He’s good on making a swift moves. On the other hand I have a slow choreography style so there are times when I want to be like Hoshi hyung.
Jun: I think I’m still lacking when I dance a power-less moves like how Dino does. I can’t make the moves feels alive. During our dance practice I always watch how Hoshi does it from the back and say ‘Ah, I need to lessen my power for this moves’.  

Q. The choreography changes every time, I think it’s not easy to come up with the ideas.
Hoshi: We made those choreography by discussing it with all of Seventeen members, not only Performance unit members. As we were promoting for 8 weeks we came up with a lot of ideas like tabble tennis, surfing, gang-gang sullae, sharon flower has bloomed, search for a vein of water, etc but as we’re trying to do it, it’s kind of boring. Things that we really do on stage are only tug-of-war, bowling, and concert. Bowling is an idea that came out after thinking hard so it’s very memorable. 
The8: We discussed it for 4~5 hours.
Dino: For one of ‘Adore U’ ending, we kick the ball as if we’re on soccer match. Mingyu hyung kick the ball as if he scored a goal, then we kiss our ring as we’re looking on the camera and I feel that it was cool. I think we can show how good our teamwork is on the stage.  

Q. Do you play soccer often?
The8: Yes we do. We’re a performance team so people probably think we’re the most athletic members but in reality we’re the least athletic. (Laugh)
Jun: I never play a soccer before, so when we play it I just stay still. But I do my best on playing basketball. 
Dino: Ah, for the members who like sports like S.Coups hyung, they really do their best on it, but I’m kinda scared of basketball (ball). It’s so hard and when I dribble it my hand hurts. 
Hoshi: Long time ago, I twist my hands when I passed a basketball (ball) and since then I can’t play it well. I’m just in charge of cheering. Like shouting “fighting!”. 4 of us are the type who do sports by mouth. On the side we would be like “Nice nice!” (laugh) actually the most fun thing is playing hide and seek at the dorm. Our dorm is wide, so there are a lot of places to hide. We would do rock-papper-scissor to choose the tagger, and hide after turning off all of the lights.

Q. Who’s the member who really bad at hiding?
Dino: Mingyu hyung is tall so he often get caught.
Hoshi: But he hides well. I think you’re lucky when you can find him.
Jun: Long time ago when we play it, there’s time when Vernon disappeared. Was it on the closet? Well, he was sleeping in the kitchen.
Hoshi: He was hiding on a narrow space between TV shelf and veranda. He cover himself with blanket and slept. We find him after we finished playing it and when we turn on all the lights.  

Q. Other than hide and seek, what do you do to spend your time together?
Hoshi: We play initial consonant game, window shopping, sometimes we go to watch movie too. Not long ago, I watched “Inside Out” together with Junghan hyung and Joshua hyung and I got inspiration for the performance. Though I can only understand (the movie) 20%. Jun and The8 often bring us out to eat chinese food. Chinese foods are so delicious. I can’t remember foods name but the most memorable one is beef tendon. The texture is same with pork feet. Also… chives and egg? It’s delicious too. Hotpot is nice too but the spice smell is so strong. But i’m used to it now.
The8: Me and Jun always go to eat in the morning. I feel exhausted if I don’t eat anything. 
Jun: Recently we often eat soondae soup.
The8: Actually, not only for breakfast but I need to eat thrice a day. I’m too skinny so when other members are excersicing, I eat. Then I will go to exercise and eat again. I need to gain weight.  

Q. You need to stay physically fit and diet at the same time, do you have any difficulties?
Dino: instead of especially managing physical strength, we exercise by doing basic choreography together at the practice room. We will feel energized and will be overflowing with energy.
Hoshi: As for me.. my diet method is, eat meal thrice a day. Also, decrease the number of pork belly that I’m going to eat. I don’t really like eating snack.
Jun: I always bring snacks with me, I will gain weight if I eat a lot of chips so I always eat jelly. It feels weird when I don’t chew anything as I’m listening to the music. 
Hoshi: But don’t you gain more weight if you eat jelly? (Laugh) Jun really likes sour things.
Jun: Actually I often eat jelly because I can chew it for a long time. Also, do you know plum? In China they sell a prune, I bought it and eat it. Other members can’t eat it because it’s too sour.  

Q. Activities for next album will be starting soon, what do you want to do or try during the break period?
Hoshi: Um, to say that it’s a break period or holidays.. we’re really busy now. But if we have time, I want to go to waterpark together with the members
The8: What…? What is that?
Hoshi: You know. That place that Nana noona advertise. Place to play with water.
The8: Ah, I know. I want to go there too or to beach! I really happy when we go to Haeundae after we finished fansign in Busan. Although it was cold, and we didn’t have much time to play around. I actually really likes water. My mom used to be swimming instructor. It’s not that I exactly learn how to swim but I just follow it and get used to it.
Dino: I personally want time to improve my skills. I want to personally make the choreography, and write rap lyrics. If I do these during the activities, I can’t focus on it because I’m too tired.

Q. Hyungs who said they want to go on a trip must be feeling embarrassed.
Dino: But! I’m not against the idea of going on a trip. I want to go to waterpark too. Indeed, water over mountain! since it’s summer. (Laugh)  


 

Trans cr: uygnim