Gift-Part 2

Family of Five

 

Cheondung tried to walk as fast as he can.The phone call he received from Byunghee earlier kept on repeating on his head.

‘Cheondung-ah,I want you to calm down and don’t panic.’

‘You’re making me panic,hyung.’,Cheondung imitated Byunghee’s oh-so-calming tone and laughed.

‘Mir is in hospital.’,Byunghee said,serious.Cheondung laughter stopped almost immediately.

‘WHAT?What happen?Where,how did,I mean-Oh my,please tell me you’re just kidding, hyung.’,Cheondung blurted out in absolute panic voice.

‘See!This is why I told you to calm down.I am far from kidding right now.He fainted at the bus stop when Seungho was picking him up.Apparently,he had fever which I’ve failed to detect,again.I thought he was trying to skip school when he told me that he’s not feeling well this morning.He’s fine now but he needs to be warded though.’,Byunghee explained.

Cheondung heart rate started to slow down after hearing Byunghee’s explanation.

‘Hyung!Didn’t Seungho hyung told us to never ever take it lightly when Mir said that he’s not well?’,Cheondung whined.

‘I know.I know.I’m feeling guilty as hell right now.Seungho was ignoring him too,by the way.Too distracted by all of...this.ARGH!Mir-yah,I’m sorry...’,Byunghee yelled,feeling stressed.

‘Now,you need to calm down,hyung.So,is he awake?’,Cheondung asked,curious about the maknae’s condition.

‘Not yet.I don’t think he’s going to wake up tonight,maybe tomorrow morning.We’re staying at hospital tonight.You can come here,right?’

‘Even if I can’t,I would come,hyung.It’s okay,I don’t have class tomorrow and I’m already on my bike.’

‘Okay,be careful.Don’t ride too fast.Wear helmet.’

‘I know,hyung.’,Cheondung hung up and started his bike’s engine.

 

 

 

Cheondung was startled when someone suddenly bumped into his shoulder.

‘Sorry.’,Cheondung looked up when he heard the familiar voice.His eyes met the seemingly hurried Seungho.

‘Seungho hyung!Where are you going?Is something wrong with,Mir?’,Cheondung stopped Seungho.

‘Oh,Cheondung,you’re here.There’s nothing wrong.I was going to pick up some clothes and stuff at home.Go in.’,Cheondung felt quite suspicious with Seungho’ s hurried speech.It seems like he’s lying.But Cheondung ignored it,thinking maybe his eldest brother still felt restless about what just happened to Mir.

‘Okay,hyung.’,Cheondung let Seungho go and stepped inside Mir’s ward.

Cheondung looked around and saw sleeping Byunghee and Joon on the couch.He then saw the maknae on the bed,hooked up to an IV and seemingly stirring up awake.Cheondung get closer to Mir’s bed and called out his name.

‘Mir,are you awake?’,Cheondung asked quietly.

Mir slowly opened his eyes and looked around,confused at the new surrounding.

‘Cheondung hyung?’,Mir said weakly and tried to get up.Cheondung helped and sit him up.

‘Yes,it’s me.How do you feel?’,Cheondung said calmly,slightly relieved that the maknae has woke up.

Mir looked around again and finally said,’Now I remember.I out.Well,I feel high.’

Cheondung smiled at Mir’s statement.Both of them kept quiet for a while.To be honest,Cheondung felt quite awkward at this situation.It’s not that he and Mir were not close.They were close but somehow when it’s only both of them,it was just awkward.Cheondung noticed that Mir was not really feeling comfortable either.Seeing how the maknae scratching his neck and looking around,avoiding Cheondung’s eyes.

‘Do you-‘ ‘Can I-‘,both of them suddenly spoke at the same time.Mir gestured Cheondung to go first.

‘Do you want some water?’,Cheondung pointed at the water bottle on the table behind him.

‘Oh,sure.’,Mir reached for the glass of water Cheondung poured and started drinking slowly.

‘So?’,Cheondung raised his eyebrow at Mir.

‘So...what?’,Mir asked,pretending not to understand Cheondung.

‘What are you going to say?’

‘Oh,that?Nothing.’,Mir shrugged and gave Cheondung the now empty glass.

‘What is it,really?’,Cheondung urged while laughing and putting back the glass on the table.He then stared at Mir.

Mir looked back at him with an unfathomable expression.He hesitated a bit but then confidently asked, ‘Do you hate me?’

Cheondung was slightly taken aback at Mir’s direct question.He then became confused.

‘No!I’m not.I mean,why would I hate you?’

‘You know,because I took omma away from you.’,Mir said in a poker face while playing with his blanket.

‘Mir...you were not responsible for that.It’s fate.And I never blame you for that.’,Cheondung said,quite shocked.

Mir looked at Cheondung.’Why did you move out then?’

‘Well,I,I just want to...I-ugh..I thought that-I thought that you didn’t really like sharing room with me.’

‘Why would you think of that?’

‘Because when we’re together,you always don’t say much.’

‘It’s because you don’t said much either.’

‘No,it’s you that avoid me first.I thought that you hate me too.’

‘Why would I?It’s me that should be hated,not-‘

Their quarrel stopped when Joon suddenly snored.Both of them slowly turned their heads at Joon and relieved to find that Joon was still soundly asleep.They then looked at each other and laughed silently.

‘What a misunderstanding...’,Cheondung shook his head.

Mir smiled and said.’So,you don’t hate me.’

‘No,I don’t.I would never,maknae-yah.’

‘Don’t you missed omma?’,Mir asked timidly.

‘I can’t say that I don’t.But,you know what,everytime I missed her so bad,I’ll look at you...I will think that if I,who had live with omma still feel sad,how would you,who had never had a parent felt?If you can live happily,why can’t I?I’m pretty sure all of the hyung think of the same thing.’,Cheondung said earnestly.

‘Well,I have you guys.’,Mir said.

‘So,tell me.How was omma like?’,Mir continued.

‘I thought you’d never asked.’,Cheondung teased Mir.

‘I always want to,but I’m afraid that you would feel sad.’

Cheondung sighed.’Well,she is a nice mother.Quite carefree,really. Caring.Her cooking was awesome. She’s very friendly. Always happy go lucky.Good at hiding her feelings.I only saw her cry once,when appa passed away.Conclusion is,she was a lot like you,except that you don’t cook.’

Mir laughed.’Really?It must be great to have a mother like that.’

‘It was.She was the one who kept us going after appa’s gone.’

‘It must’ve been hard for you guys to move on after she’s gone.’

‘No,not really.We had you.You’re the one who kept us going then.For me,you’re like a gift.Omma’s last gift.If you’re not here,I don’t think that we are going to be who we are now.We probably be gangster or something.With Seungho hyung leading us.’,Cheondung said jokingly.

Mir and Cheondung laughed out loud at the thought of gangster leader,Seungho.Byunghee suddenly let out a sound.Both of them stopped and looked at Byunghee,who was still sleeping.

‘Yah!I don’t know that sick people could laugh that loud.’,Cheondung whispered.

‘It’s your machine gun like laugh that is loud,hyung.’,Mir whispered back.

Cheondung cleared his throat,slightly embarrassed reminding his laugh earlier.

‘Whatever.Go to sleep,patient.’

Mir smirked and started to lay down.

‘Hyung.’,Mir said with his eyes closed.

‘Mmm?’,Cheondung hummed back.

‘Move back in.’

Cheondung smiled.’I’ll think about it.’

 

 

 

Mir looked around the room while eating his bland,super bland porridge.He tried to focused his attention to the porridge but there’s something bothering him.

‘You guys are going to make a hole on my face.’,Mir looked at his Byunghee,Joon and Cheondung who had been observing him like he was some kind of lab rat since he woke up.

Joon suddenly jumped at him and held his face.

‘I don’t understand.’,Joon stated.

‘Neither did I.’,Mir said and pushed Joon’s hands away.

‘His body is still hot but except for his slightly strange deep voice,he looks like he’s perfectly fine.’,Joon watched Mir curiously like a scientist who just met a new species.

‘Right?That’s why I’ve said that you can’t blame me for not noticing it.’,Byunghee said to Joon with enthusiastism.

‘No,no,no.I think that when he’s sick,he lacks of expressions.Look at him eating his breakfast like it was bland.’,Cheondung countered while moving his finger.

‘It is bland,hyung.’,Mir stated.

‘No,he always eat like that.Even when I cook my masterpiece,kimchi chigae.’,Byunghee ignored Mir.

‘Could it be that he don’t scream like always?’,Joon gave his opinion.

‘Don’t you heard how he screamed when he was injected earlier,hyung?’,Cheondung flatly said.

‘Oh,right.Owh,I’m such an idiot.’,Joon said seriously while smacking his own head.

‘Glad that you finally realised it.’,Byunghee said with a poker face.

Joon shot him a glare and then looked at Mir back.’Mir-yah,show me a painful expression.’

Mir just stared at Joon blankly and continued eating.What’s wrong with this hyungs,really....

‘See!See!This is why it’s a hard job,my brothers.Look at that face.How blank,how tasteless.’,Byunghee suddenly said like a frustrated acting teacher.

‘Mir-yah,look at me,look at me!Try and follow me.’,Cheondung said while acting out his best expression of pain.

‘Yah!It’s that what you called pain expression?You looked like you’re making business.Look at me,Mir-yah.’,Joon dissed Cheondung and showed Mir his pain acting complete with sound effect.

Mir just sighed.His brothers were really not helping with his headache.He looked away from already lying on the ground Joon and talked to Byunghee.

‘Where’s Seungho hyung?’

‘Uh?I don’t know.He was here last night.’,Byunghee said,suddenly realising Seungho’s absence.

‘I met him last night.He said he was going to take some stuff at home.Maybe he fell asleep there.’,Cheondung said.

‘I’ll try and called him.’,Joon immediately called Seungho’s number.

Mir looked at Joon hopefully.He really needed to talk to Seungho.He wanted to explain about what happened before he passed out.

‘You’ve gone to work?’,Joon asked Seungho on the phone.

Mir gestured Joon to give him the phone.

‘Wait,hyung.Mir wants to talk to-.’,Joon said but before he finished his sentence,Seungho already hung up.

‘Well,that was abrupt.He hung up.I think that he might be busy,Mir-yah.’,Joon said to Mir.

Mir felt quite disappointed.What is this?Is Seungho hyung avoiding me?He remembered he kind of seeing Seungho when he was starting to wake up last night but when he finally regain his consciousness,he found Cheondung instead.

‘Now,now.Have some sleep,Mir.The doctor said you need to rest a lot.Cheondung,go with Joon.Pick up Mir’s stuff at home.I’ll stay here and keep an eye on this expressionless boy.’,Byunghee clapped his hands and started to pushed Joon and Cheondung outside.

The boys just followed Byunghee’s instructions.

‘If Seungho hyung come,wake me up,okay.’,Mir said Byunghee.

‘Okay,baby.’,Byunghee said and winked at Mir.Mir just blinked at him and turned to the other side.

 

 

Byunghee sighed and patted Mir’s shoulder.Mir just stared at him,giving him no mercy.This is going to be hard...

‘Look,Mir-yah.I’m sorry,okay?You were sound asleep and Seungho was just here for a while.’,Byunghee tried to explain why he didn’t wake Mir up when Seungho came just now.

‘Why don’t you just ask him to wait?’,Mir asked,clearly disappointed when Byunghee told him that Seungho had just left when he woke up.He was this close to run after him but his attempt was blocked by his brothers.

‘He said he was busy.’,Byunghee tried to reason Seungho’s behaviour.Actually,he don’t quite believe Seungho’s excuse but he was not going to tell the maknae about it or else this subject of matter would get longer.But,from the looks of it,he don’t think that Mir buys it either.

Byunghee stared at the maknae’s expression.To be honest,Mir could be quite scary when he was mad or determined.Not as scary as Seungho though,but still enough to make the brothers keeping their mouth shut.Byunghee almost got a heart attack when Mir yanked his IV to run after Seungho just now.How on earth could someone who was scared of needles do that?Luckily,they managed to stop him,barely though.Even right now,Mir looked like he was going to leap off his bed anytime.Byunghee knew he needed to think of something to make Mir calm down.He don’t think that the boy was going to sleep tonight until Seungho come.

‘How about this?I’ll make Seungho come after you had your dinner,alright?’,Byunghee said.

Mir looked at him.’What if he said that he was busy again?’

‘I’ll make he come no matter what.’,Byunghee smirked as he thought of his evil plan.Cheondung and Joon who was just watching them earlier showed scared expressions at Byunghee’s evil smirk.You can’t run away forever,Seungho-yah...

 

 

 

Seungho stared at the ceiling while lying down on the sofa.He tried to sleep but he can’t.He can’t stop thinking about Mir.He felt guilty for lying to his brothers.He admit,he was trying to avoid Mir.He was not ready to talk to him.His slumber was then interrupted by his ringtone.

‘Seungho!Hurry and come to the hospital!Mir got an asthma attack!’,Byunghee’s panic voice boomed through his phone’s speaker.

Seungho doesn’t even bother to ask questions.He quickly grabbed his coat and bolted out of his office.

 

 

Seungho ran down the hospital hall.He then stopped in front of Mir’s ward.All of his brothers were standing outside the room.He looked at their expression one by one,trying to figure out what happen.Please,please don’t let anything bad happened to Mir.He didn’t say anything to them and just walked into the ward.He turned his gaze slowly at Mir’s bed and found Mir sitting there,eating and looking perfectly fine.

‘Hyung!You’re here!’,Mir brightened at Seungho’s presence.

‘Mir!God,are you okay?They said you’ve had an asthma attack.’,Seungho went over Mir and checking the boy.

‘What are you talking about?I don’t even have an asthma,hyung.’,Mir said,confused.

Seungho stared at Mir for a while and started to put things together.Damn you,Byunghee!Seungho cursed under his breath when he realised that he was just being pranked by his brother.

‘Are you okay,hyung?’,Mir asked innocently.

‘I’m okay.I must’ve heard them wrong.’,Seungho said while forcing a smile at Mir.

‘Hyung...about last night...’,Mir said slowly.

Seungho looked up at Mir.He knew that it was inevitable.They’ve got to talk about this.

‘I know,Mir.’,Seungho said.

‘You knew?’

‘Your father asked you to go to L.A with him,right?’,Seungho said while avoiding Mir’s eyes.

‘Yes,but don’t worry,hyung.I won’t go.’,Mir reassured Seungho.

Seungho sighed and took a deep breath.Come on,Seungho.You can do this.Seungho looked straight into Mir’s eyes.

‘Just go,Mir.’

 


A/N:Part 2!Finally,Cheondung is here!keke.I don't know if you guys noticed but there was a lack of Cheondung in the story.Thank you,thank you,thank you for the comments and subscribes!The comments are very interesting to read.keke.Feel free to leave comments for this chapter too!<@