Six

Spent

Minzy lay staring out the window at the clear blue skies and bright shinning sun. She was easily distracted by all the bustling out in the hall, oh how she wished she had the strength to close the door. But even if she did she couldn't, the doctor insisted on putting her on suicide watch, meaning the door had to be open with more frequent checks from the nurses. Closing her eyes she did her best to block out the noise and imagined how the sun might feel against her face. She desperately wanted to feel it's warmth. She had forgotten such a simple sensation as warmth when she had been so consumed in her grief.

 She was caught off guard by a warm sensation of a touch that made her slightly flinch. For a brief moment she soaked up the warmth of small hands placed onto her cool cheeks. Peeking open her eyes, she was met by small dark chocolate eyes and a grin that spread into a smile as the eyes came with a bright smile.

"Hello," her voice cracked as she lay staring at the small child before her. The child kept smiling as he brought a small paper card up to her face with his other hand. With a trembling hand she accepted the card and opened it up. In it was a simple drawing of a big yellow blob on the left corner and streaks of blue running along side it with different colored flowers popping out of the streaks of green at the bottom to what she assumed to be the grass. In the center it had the words scribbled, "Get Better!"

She found herself staring at the simple drawing and message for a bit before glancing up to the small child who stood still smiling as bright as ever. It was in that moment that she noticed the beanie on his head and that he was also wearing a hospital gown like hers.

"A nurse told me that you were feeling sad," the child chimed. "So I wanted to make you something to feel better. I know what it's like to feel sad and my mommy said that life is too short and precious to be sad so be happy!"

Minzy chuckled at the wise child. Before she knew it, tears began to fall from her eyes, "Thank you! Thank you."

 

After a small chat with the child, he bid farewell leaving Minzy alone with her card. She sighed as she stood on her wobbly legs and slowly walked towards the window with the card in hand. Leaning her head onto the window seal, she looked down at the card before glancing out the window.

"That kid is something," Seungri stepped next to her to enjoy the view. A small hum escaped her lips as she agreed. "I guess this is truly it. You're finally going to do it huh?" She grinned still staring out the window, giving him a silent yes. He sighed as he reached out to take her hand in his, making her turn to look at him. Standing with that crooked smile she hated and loved so much, he leaned forward and kissed her forehead, "Be happy." Closing her eyes as the tears fell freely, she let his words sink deep into her body and soul.

"Minzy," a voice called causing her to look through blurred eyes to see Doctor Seunghyun standing in the door way.

She grinned as she felt a wave of relief washed over her. "I did it. I finally let him go," she cried as she felt a heavy weight lift off of her shoulders.

 

Minzy smiled as she waved goodbye to all of her children, "See you tomorrow Minzy!" She grinned as she blew a kiss to all the children. She loved weekends, it was in that time she had to spend with her loveable cancer children at the hospital. At first it was just check ups on the child who'd given her that lovely card. But it soon branched out to the rest of the children and now after five years she was still spending her weekends with them.

Grinning at the latest project in her hands she called up the first person she could think of, "Hey Doctor Seunghyun?"

She heard him chuckle through the phone, "Yes Minzy?"

"Just thought I'd check in with you and let you know that I've been doing great especially with all this volunteering I've been doing at the hospital." She began to flip through the many drawings as he responded.

"I'm glad to hear that. Pretty soon you won't need to do check ins with me any more."

"Don't be silly, of course I'll need to check in with you," she teased.

"Well I'm glad to hear that you're happy."

"I don't know if I would say that," she shrugged as she made her way down the street as she stuffed the drawings into her purse.

"C'mon Minzy you can hear it in your voice."

"Really," she smiled to herself as she stopped at the bus stop. "Hmm I wouldn't say I'm there just yet."

"Whatever you say Minzy. I'll see you tomorrow?"

"Sure thing Doc!"

Hanging up the phone, she let out a sigh of relief as she sat on the bust stop bench. It was a beautiful day with the sun shining brightly and clear blue skies. She just couldn't help the need to close her eyes and soak up the warmth. "Here's your chance to be happy," a quiet whisper echoed in her ears. That familiar voice sent chills down her spine as she sat still. It had been five years since she's heard that voice. Though she didn't understand what he meant, she closed her eyes treasuring the sound of his voice.

Minzy heard someone clearing their throat as if to catch her attention. She didn't know why, but she started to feel nervous. Slowly opening her eyes, her breath was caught as she sat staring into the deepest brown eyes she'd ever seen, "Sorry to bother you but I think you dropped this back there." She could've sworn her neck was about to snap as he towered over her. Speechless, she watched as he extended his hand with one of the drawings. As ironic as it was in the moment, it had the words "be happy!" scribbled on it.

She smiled as she reached out to take the drawing, "I'm so...uh, sorry..."

He gave her a crooked smile that almost resembled Seungri's and she could've sworn her heart stopped in that moment. Glancing to the side, she saw Seungri smiling with his crooked smile, "He's not as good looking as me but he'll make you happy."

Minzy coughed a laugh as she smiled up at the man before her, "That was so clumsy of me. Thank you."

He grinned as he took a seat next to her and began to chat as he waited with her for the bus.

 

 

Author's Notes:

Omo I finally found time to finish this fic. Yay to happy endings! I wanted to do five years and still keeping contact with her doctor to keep it real. Though we may experience miracles in different ways, doesn't mean we'll be able to change our ways instantly. I'm not saying it's not possible, but it's always good to have that support system to fall back on if we slip up like Minzy as those children and hot doctor Seunghyun hehe. As for the new man coming into her life, I'll let you all decide on your own.

Please check out this awesome fic A Picture Worth Three Words! It won my contest. And it'd be awesome if you show'd it some love.

Thanks for reading and commenting!!!