Ch 6: High School

That Summer's Day

 

Kai stares at himself in front of the mirror with a knowing look on his face. He blinks at the familiar stranger whose expression remained lax like his. 


“What have you gotten yourself into Kai… you… me.”

With a deep sigh, Kai looks at himself for a final time and moves away from the mirror. He turns off the light in the bathroom and walks broodingly to his room. His hand latches on to the door handle as he pauses, wide-eyed. With his fingers, he delicately his lips and remembers his kiss with Sulli. He smiles to himself and bites his lower lip in embarrassment. He proceeds inside his room and jumps straight on to his bed. With a quick stare at the ceiling, Kai reaches for the blanket and covers himself completely underneath the sheets. He closes his eyes and lets out a quiet chuckle before he dozes off peacefully, for the first time in years.  

In the morning, Kai slowly stirs awake from feeling something moist touching his face. He peers at the hazy figure standing in front of him and rubs his eyes to get a better look. With a yawn, the first thing he sees is a hand holding a permanent marker and gawks at it for three seconds until he realises whose hand it belongs to – Sehun. He wipes his face with his right hand and sees a smudge of black ink on his fingers. He glares at Sehun intensely while Sehun tries to stifle his laughter.

“What? Ohhh, this marker? Um… I was just putting it away.” Sehun tells him with a straight face.

“On my face?” Kai responses back sarcastically.

“Pffft, yes.”

With an unamused look, Kai throws his pillow on his friend’s face and stands up. Sehun continues to humour him as Kai makes his way to the mirror. He quietly examines the moustache drawn on his face and calls Sehun a bastard under his breath. He stops himself from laughing and tries to remove the drawing on his face. Kai’s mother quietly interrupts them from behind with whack on their heads.

“Aish! Stop playing around and get ready for school. You’re going to be late!”

“School?” Kai asks with a confusing look.

“Yeah, the one I’m paying for so you better hurry up! Come with me Sehun and eat breakfast downstairs.”

Kai watches Sehun and his mother leave and silently panics in the bathroom.

School? School? Are you kidding me!? I don’t remember anything 5 years ago…

Kai hesitantly gets ready and puts on his uniform with a pout. He starts to think of all the things he did in high school but fails with a grimacing look plastered on his face. He trudges down the stairs with heavy feet and puts his shoes on at the entrance. His mother comes up to him with his back pack and quickly fixes her son’s hair. Kai hides his smile and remembers how he missed this moment between them.

He rushes outside and sees Sehun waiting for him on his bike, ready to leave. He sits behind him and chides Sehun to go with an awkward chuckle.

“Sehun, 5 years from now, you’ll have a car. I guarantee you that as a friend.”

“I kno… I mean, what?”

“Haha, never mind”

With a tight grip on the seat rails, Kai’s eyes divert towards a familiar street. His body stiffens and he closes his eyes shut.

“Sehun, can you pedal a bit faster please, I beg you.”

“Huh?”

“Su- Sulli!”

Sehun screeches the bike to a halt and turns around to face Kai who is breathing erratically.

“Kai? What about my sister?”

“Um, I, um… ”

Sehun sighs and places his hand on Kai’s shoulder.

“Kai, promise me you won’t hurt Sulli and protect her this time, arasseo?”

“Arasseo” Kai nods and looks at Sehun who ignores his gaze.

The two boys arrive in front of the gate and Kai hops off to let Sehun chain the bike. He starts walking to the entrance nervously as he familiarises himself again with the school he left 5 years ago. As he tries to let everything sink in, someone pulls his hand from behind.

“Kai! Where’s Sehun?” Sulli grunts.

“Ah, Sulli! Um, he’s at-”

“Shouldn’t you call me oppa? I’m a few months older than you!” Sehun cuts Kai off and looks at his sister in annoyance.

The siblings bicker to each other as Kai stands in between them, bemused. Sulli looks at Kai and smiles at him, pushing her brother aside.

“Don’t hang out with him Kai, you’ll become pabo too!”

Sehun interjects with nudge on her sister’s head, “You’re a pabo first!”

Kai softly holds Sulli’s hand and gloats it around Sehun’s face.

“Sorry pabo-ssi, she wins.”

Sulli beams and sticks her tongue out to her brother, feeling defiant. Kai laughs and quickly runs off with Sulli to their class while Sehun screams behind them.

“You’re a traitor kkam-jong! Bros before hos!”

Kai and Sulli dashes up the stairs and reaches the door to their classroom. They both laugh hysterically and realise that their hands are still holding on to each other.

“Um… you can let go now Kai.” Sulli awkwardly mumbles.

Kai stumbles with his fingers and looks at Sulli whose face has turned red. They look at each others eyes and Sulli quickly averts her gaze.

“So you went to school together with my brother huh?”

“Yeah, I did. He came to my house and picked me up.”

“Um, was he acting weird?”

“Sehun? Well, I don’t think so… why?”

“Oh, I see… it’s because he had that confused look yesterday.”

“Confused?”

“Yeah… never mind. Maybe I’m just imagini-”

The school bell cuts Sulli off and they quickly rush to their seats. Sehun comes in afterwards with an exasperated look on his face and stares at Kai with a nod. Kai stares back silently as his hands start to quiver under the table. He looks back at Sehun and remembers word by word what Sehun said earlier.

 “This time?” Sehun… you can't be... 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

----------
** Bold+Italics = thoughts 
*photo - korea.net


I'm very sorry for this late update!! *dogeza* I just had a really long writer's block. ; ------ ; Will start updating this series again so thank you for your support! 
Also, sorry for some mistakes~ I typed these all on my ipad. - -  

(Also, can anybody tell me when is the best time to update chapters? tyvm)