Ch 2: Playground

That Summer's Day

 

The sounds of the birds echo through his ears and so does the impatient tone of Sehun. Kai looks at him with a faint smile and massages his temple with his left hand.

“I do… every single day” Kai mumbles, enough for Sehun to hear.

He closes his eyes again but his emotion betrays him. Kai uses his hands to muffle the noise but his soft sobs continue to resonate in the already silent car.

Sehun waits for his friend outside, feeling guilty for insisting on that question too soon. He quickly takes a peek and opens the car door. Kai looks up at him with red yet calm eyes. Sehun hesitates for a moment on what to say but decides not to speak. Kai his lips and pats Sehun on the back, reassuring him that he’s okay.

“Can you take me to her favourite place please?”
“Kai, um, are you sure?”
“It’s about time I go there, my parents can wait”

Sehun stares at him for a few seconds and starts the engine while Kai rolls his windows down to let some air in. He breathes in and out, trying to calm himself. His eyes trying to well up again but this time he controls it without any difficulty.

The car halts to a stop and Sehun sighs heavily as he takes the keys out. He glances at Kai and sees how fixated Kai’s eyes are on the empty playground. With mouth agape, Kai quickly opens the door and leaves his seat. He walks towards the swings, hesitant with Sehun following not too far behind. Kai reaches his hand out to touch the cold metal chain and quietly sits down on the worn out chair swing. He uses some force to move the swing up, pushing his feet off the dust-filled ground. His swings become more aggressive every time he goes higher and higher. With a loud scream, he jumps and lands with both his feet, the dust creating a smoke. Kai continues to scream, raw and angry screams at the world --- and at himself.

“It’s my fault Sehun! It’s my fault!” He repeats, choking on his tears.
“Kai calm down! It’s not, okay! Calm down”
“D-did you know what she said to me? She said…” Kai stops and falls on his knees as Sehun stares at him, helpless.
“Sulli s-said… ‘I’ll see you tomorrow, Kai’ with her eyes smiling, she said those words smiling at me after I said those god-awful things to her!”
“Kai, stop! Stop it!  Don’t tear yourself apart like this, if she sees you right now she wouldn’t be able to move on, so please I’m begging you to stop…”

Sehun helps him up and gives him a firm hug to control Kai. He continues to weep on Sehun’s shoulders still screaming. After a few minutes, they both walk towards the car without a word as the sun settles down behind them. 

----------


Enjoy~