Ch 5: Kiss

That Summer's Day

 

Everything around Kai begins to feel fuzzy as he tries to grasp how he travelled five years from the future and why at this specific time. He knows that every change he makes starting from now will either have a good or a bad consequence, yet he is more worried about the latter.

His mother shouting distracts him from his thoughts but his problem remains in the back of his head.

“You three! The food will get cold! Sulli-ssi come eat!”

Kai touches his stomach still feeling a bit full from what his mother prepared for him earlier. She prods Sulli to go first with his father as he trudges behind them.

“Eomma… I just ate. Well, kinda.”
“What? You haven’t eaten yet since you and Sulli got here at six.” His mother nags with her arms crossed while Sulli gives him an odd look.

Kai sighs heavily and takes his seat on the table, having no reasonable excuse to say. He picks up his chopsticks and takes a handful of kimchi from the plate. He stops mid way and catches a towel that is about to hit his face again.

“No respect…” He murmurs to himself and laughs. Him being the only one who seems amused from predicting what his mother is about to say next.

Sulli nudges him to be more serious and he complies yet still chuckling. Kai only consumes what he can and excuses himself first. He sneaks in the bathroom where he fell and analyses the whole area.

“Don’t tell me this is some kind of a time portal… a tardis?” He sniggers.

Kai re-enacts the moment before he fell on his head to see any reaction but becomes disappointed when there is none. He returns to the dining room and sees his mother enthralled in a conversation with Sulli. Kai happily listens in  closely to their talk but his smile quickly fades once he starts to remember how much his mother cried and cursed at him after hearing of Sulli’s death.

I will never let that happen, not on that day and not ever again.

His mother stares at him with a grin and Sulli does the same. Kai mentions for Sulli to come and she politely excuses herself to Kai’s mother.

“What is it Kai?”
“Let’s do something fun tomorrow, just us two.”
“But it’s a school day tomorrow and I have a hagwon to attend to.”
“So? Skip it! I don’t want to waste a single minute of your, I mean our lives!”
“No Kai, don’t be silly! As much as I want to, my parents and yours will kill us both. And I mean that literally too”

She looks at him with a defeated look and Kai returns the same gesture. Sulli suddenly ogles at her watch and realises that she is five minutes late for her 9pm curfew. She signals a goodbye bow to Kai’s mother and runs for her shoes on the front door.  Kai slips into his shoes too, ready to walk her home.

“I miss walking you home Sulli. It’s been awhile.”
“Huh? What are you muttering about? You just walked me home yesterday idiot”

Realising his slip, Kai quickly covers it up by grabbing her hand to divert Sulli’s attention. He holds it tightly on his, feeling the warmth of her hand.

Just like this. Let’s stay just like this

As they both walk succinctly with each step, Sulli notices the empty playground and points it out to Kai.

“It’s my turn on the swing!” She yells in delight as she pulls away to get a head start. Kai  watches her with pleasure as she gains momentum in each push, feeling the exhilaration every time she goes higher. With a strong final push, she jumps  out of her seat and lands perfectly on her feet, ironically mimicking the same stance as Kai earlier.

“Kai! You should do it too! It makes you feel closer ---“
“To heaven? I know.”  Kai smirks at her and leans in closer to her face, feeling the softness of her breath. Bit by bit, their lips tenderly interlocks with each other, completeley losing themselves in this delicate moment. 

As they slowly pull away, Kai gazes at Sulli's eyes and smiles, guilty for altering the present-past with their first kiss. 


--------
Sorry for the late update! 
I'm currently sick with a cold. 

** I deleted the other chapter 4 and changed it with a new ending. ^ ^ 

Enjoy! 
(no chapter 5 till tomorrow)