Ch 3: Home

That Summer's Day

 

By night fall, the two men arrive in front of an old house facing the sea. Kai looks at himself on the rear view mirror and fixes his hair. He stares at his eyes momentarily and bites his lips again. Sehun notices this familiar mannerism that his friend does every time he’s nervous, he smiles and rubs Kai’s hair to mess it up. Kai punches him lightly whilst noticing Sehun’s intention to change the atmosphere. He faces Sehun with a grin, thanking him.

The light outside the house turns on and an old frail figure stands outside the door. Kai carries his bag out of the car and knocks on Sehun’s window as a sign of gratitude. As the car leaves the driveway, the person from the house walks closer to him. Kai keeps his pace steady but swift, his full attention on the man walking up to him. With just a metre apart between them, the man looks at him with longing and beams, Kai drops his bag and bows earnestly.

“I’m home, abeoji, sorry.” 

Kai lifts his face up, his eyes looking directly at his father. He picks up his bag and moves closer to him. His father cups his warm hands around Kai and quickly slings his right arm to his son’s free arm, b with happiness. Kai leads his father to their house and is welcomed by a smell of kimchi wafting from the kitchen.   

“Eomma, is that you?” He asks, knowing the answer to his own question.

“Yah! You ungrateful child! How dare you come home and not call?” His mother screams while getting out of the kitchen carrying food.

Kai removes his shoes and walks down the hallway to the living room. Right in front of him was a table filled with dishes that he used to eat when he was a child.


“What’s the use calling you? You already know I was coming home when you prepared this much”
“You think I prepared this spread for you? All of this is for your uhm, a-abeoji!”

Kai’s father enters the room and shakes his head at Kai with a chuckle.

“Let’s all just enjoy this okay? We haven’t eaten together in a long time”
“I wonder why, blame your son. You two are exactly alike!”

Kai watches his parents bicker, feeling the warmth of being home again. He raises his bowl and grabs a handful of kimchi. His mother looks at him and scoffs, throwing the towel that was wrapped around her neck at his son’s face.

“No respect! Eat a lot and take a bath, I’m bringing you to the markets tomorrow. I want to show off my successful writer son! Go eat! Go eat!”

After the long meal, he hugs his mother and whirls her around, bringing a smile to her face. She slaps Kai hard on his back and drags him to the bath she prepared. Kai plants a kiss on his mother’s forehead and jokingly locks the door of the bathroom. He listens closely as her mother leaves, laughing quietly. Kai gets in the bath and soaks his whole body in, the water in the tub slightly overflowing. He closes his eyes underwater and lightens up. Just when he’s about to lose himself in his relaxation, the memory of Sulli pops in and surprises him. He quickly rises, rubbing his eyes together and jumps out of the bath in a haste. He stares at himself in the mirror, breathing in and out.


A knock on the door startles him and he swiftly wraps his torso with a towel. He unlocks the door and counts to three, plastering a smile for his mother. As he opens the door, his face suddenly contorts in horror. Right in front of him was someone too real to be a ghost. He steps back in fear away from the door, his heart rate spiking up. Just when he’s about to take another step back, he loses his balance and hits his head on the tub. With his mind drifting in and out of consciousness, he looks at the blurry figure getting close to him and ekes out a word before he slips out of consciousness.

“Sulli…” 

---------
*I will fix the errors later~ 
chapter 3 will be out shortly~ 

ENJOY!