A Date?!

Effortless

Kyuhyun asked himself for perhaps the fiftieth time this evening why he was doing this, and for perhaps the fiftieth time he told himself, You need to get out more. Do fun things. Hang out with people. And he sighed, checking his phone. 6:47 pm. Jinri was late. 

Honestly, Kyuhyun had been a bit surprised Jinri had said yes in the first place, considering the fact that she seemed like the cute and nice sort of girl that would already have a boyfriend. What Kyuhyun hadn't been surprised about was Zhoumi demanding a fee for her number, namely being that Kyuhyun would now also have to participate in Zhoumi's portion of the upcoming fashion show in addition to Jinri's. Wonderful. 

At this point, all he could hope for would be that Zhoumi's leotards would be reserved for the girl models only. 

Kyuhyun's attention snapped back to his surroundings as he spotted Jinri making her way over, clutching her bag and sheepishly half-running to where he was sitting. 

"Kyuhyun-oppa, I'm sorry I'm late! There was just so much to do for the show that I got caught up, and- "

"It's ok, it's ok," Kyuhyun laughed. He pulled out Jinri's seat for her. "Sit down and catch your breath." 

She blushed and bowed her head a little as she sat down. "Thanks."

As Kyuhyun sat down himself, he asked, "So what do you recommend? Since you said you come here often." 

Jinri's eyes immediately lit up and she started pointing things out on the menu. "The pastries here are super tasty! And the sandwiches. Oh, and the hot chocolate here is the best, I always get that!"

At the mention of hot chocolate, Kyuhyun felt a twinge of embarrassment but couldn't help saying, "I'll definitely get that, then. Sweet things are my weakness." 

Jinri gave a surprised giggle at that. "Kyuhyun-oppa, you seem like the cool and reserved type, like the kind of guy who would go more for black coffee or something gross like that." 

Kyuhyun almost snorted at that. Siwon was anything but cool and reserved. "No, I'm pretty sure you mixed up cool and reserved with weird and tasteless," he said, not minding in the least that he was insulting a certain someone. 

Jinri laughed, and Kyuhyun thought to himself, This date was off to a pretty good start. 

--------------------

"Sorry, Min, I have plans for tonight. Maybe another time." Changmin stared at his phone. Sure, it was definitely a bit awkward between them right now, but for Kyuhyun to right out reject him? It kind of hurt. Then again, he had done something unspeakable to his best friend (and crush). He knew Kyuhyun was probably in turmoil right now, silently stewing over what had happened and what he was going to do and how this was going to affect them- and goddamnit, Changmin just wanted to tell him it was okay and to forget about the whole thing. 

Changmin sighed. He hadn't wanted to go there. He really, really hadn't. But there was no other choice. 

Holding his hand over his face in despair, Changmin called Zhoumi. 

--------------------

"... and remember. Two weeks from now, the fashion show, got it? I won't let you forget," said Zhoumi with a satisfied smile. Changmin growled. "Now, now, don't worry, you'll make a positively dashing model."

"Yeah, ok, whatever," said Changmin in a hurry, and he hung up. 

Rude, mused Zhoumi. Ah well, now he had two new, handsome (and unwilling) models for his fashion show. He knew it had been a good idea to forcibly impose his phone number upon Kyuhyun's best friend. His mischievous grin grew even larger as he recalled Changmin's face after realizing what had happened. Despair, pure despair as he had watched Zhoumi's phone buzz on the table, reading: 

Unknown Number: <3 <3 <3 Zhoumi ur the best <3 <3 <3

Zhoumi really was the best, after all. 

--------------------

Changmin hurriedly ended the call and then leapt up from the kitchen table. He needed to go to Kyuhyun nowAs he grabbed his jacket and wallet, he worried to himself, Would Kyuhyun really be okay on a date? What if things got too personal? Changmin knew that his best friend wasn't comfortable talking about his parents and that his aversion to romance might lead to trouble. At least, that's what Changmin told himself, pushing out thoughts that his best friend might actually want to try dating. And that his date was a girl. 

Changmin groaned. He didn't even know what to say to Kyuhyun.

--------------------

Outside Kyuhyun's (and now Changmin's) apartment, Siwon paced back and forth. He nervously played with the paper bag he held in his hands, rearranging the bottles inside until he realized he was just crinkling the tissue paper. 

"Hi Kyuhyun, did you want to drink with me tonight?" Siwon mumbled under his breath. No, too casual

"You said you could drink a lot, so show me!" Siwon cringed. Too weird.

"Hey Kyuhyun, would you mind if-"

The door opened and Siwon almost yelped in surprise. He hurriedly cleared his throat and-

-scowled. "What are you doing here?" 

Changmin stared at him. "What? I live here. What are you doing here?" He didn't even give Siwon a chance to answer before, "You know what, never mind. I have to go."

He pushed past Siwon and hurried to his car, before Siwon called, "Wait, where's Kyuhyun?"

"... I'm about to find out," said Changmin grimly.

Siwon stared at his quickly retreating back. Then he ran to his car to follow Changmin. 

--------------------

It turned out that the two of them actually had quite a bit in common. They both had artsy inclinations, could be quite stubborn when the situtation called for it, and both of them absolutely loved sweets. 

In fact, both of them were already on their second hot chocolates, still talking away, when Jinri asked, "So, Kyuhyun-oppa, what made you want to ask me on a date? It seemed a bit sudden, since we've known each other for some time now." She eyed Kyuhyun mischievously before sipping from her mug. 

Kyuhyun chuckled nervously. What should he say? "Uh..." He was trying to avoid his hot best friend who had basically molested him earlier? "Well..." That he was trying to figure out whether or not he was gay? "I really just wanted to get to know you more, since you seem like such an interesting person but we haven't had a chance to talk much," he settled on. It wasn't technically a lie, either. 

Jinri seemed satisfied with the answer.

"What about you? Why did you agree?" he countered. 

She gave a smile that bordered on the edge of a smirk. "Who wouldn't say yes to the heartthrob that rejects every girl who confesses?"

Kyuhyun gave an awkward laugh. "I didn't realize I had such a reputation." 

"How could you not? In the past month, you've rejected three of the most popular girls on campus, and two of them were sisters."

Kyuhyun felt the conversation edging into dangerous territory and shifted uncomfortably in his seat. 

"Do you have some deep, dark past that's left you traumatized and unable to love?" Jinri asked, still teasing. 

It took every fiber of Kyuhyun's being not to just leap up and walk out the door. "I really don't- " 

"Isn't it a bit rude to ask that?" interrupted a voice. 

Kyuhyun looked up and immediately was frozen to his seat. Changmin stood there, right in front of him, Siwon right behind. What kind of nightmare was this?

 


Yay another update! Sorry for all the changing perspectives, it might be a bit confusing, but I needed a way to explain how things happened so please forgive any awkwardness!