New Roommate

Effortless

WHOMP!

Kyuhyun's eyes flew open as something big and heavy landed on him. He groaned as his eyes focused on Changmin's grinning face just a few inches from his own. 

"What're you doing, Changmin?"

He glanced at the window and, seeing that it was barely light outside, he groaned once more.

"Just let me go back to sleep~"

Kyuhyun rolled over onto his side and flung an arm over his head in attempt to return to slumber, but Changmin had other plans. 

"Ah! Hey, what the- hahaha! Ah hey stop tha- haha!!" 

The sleepy college boy was reduced to a writhing mass of giggles as he tried to escape the onslaught of tickling fingers.

"Changmin! Stop- ah! Ahahaha Wah!! Stop it! Okay, okay, I'm awake! I'm awake!"

Kyuhyun pushed his attacker off the bed and huffed, a smile still brightly painted on his face despite his attempt to appear annoyed. 

"What do you want, you idiot? It's-" he glanced at the clock "- only 3am, what the heck? Lemme go back to sleep!" 

He tried to burrow under the covers once more, but found that there were no covers any more. 

"You bastard!"

Changmin had messily bundled the blankets into a precarious pile and was perched on top in an obvious attempt to prevent his friend from getting a peaceful sleep. Kyuhyun crossed his arms and frowned. 

"Care to tell me what this is all about?"

Changmin grinned, replying, "Good morning!"

--------------------

Kyuhyun yawned for about the hundredth time since getting up and said, "I can't believe you woke me up just for this." He pointed to his steaming styrofoam cup of coffee. "I have classes today, y'know."

Changmin draped his arm around Kyuhyun's shoulders.

"I am so sorry, Kyunnie, for disturbing the beauty rest you so obviously need," he poked his friend's growing eyebags, and Kyuhyun swatted his hand away, "but I just wanted to spend some time with the best friend I haven't seen in forever. Is that such a crime?"

He leaned in toward Kyuhyun and showed him his best pity-me eyes.

"Ugh. Stop that. Absolutely not cute at all. And, by the way, I haven't forgotten that you still haven't told me why you're here. And don't even think about saying like 'I just wanted to visit'."

Kyuhyun looked pointedly at Changmin, and Changmin gulped. He dropped his arm from Kyuhyun's shoulders and clasped both hands around his own coffee, staring down into the dark liquid. 

"Maybe we better sit down."

He led Kyuhyun to a nearby bench and took a seat, Kyuhyun following suit after a questioning pause. Changmin inhaled slowly, feeling the pressure build up in his chest, and then he let it all out in one go.

"CanImoveinwithyou?"

"... Huh?"

Changmin repeated, more slowly, "Can I... Move in with you?"

"... Huh? Well, I mean, of course you can, but how're you going to get to school? It's like, a one-hour commute just by train, and I know for certain that you won't be able to get up that early just to go to school."

"I actually, um, am transferring to your school, Kyunnie."

"What?! How could you not tell me? Why am I only hearing about this now, when you're asking if you can live with me?!"

Changmin gave a sheepish smile. "I wanted it to be a surprise?"

After hearing no response, he persisted, "I'd pay my share of the rent, of course, and I'd help cook, clean up, whatever I could do to help."

Kyuhyun rolled his eyes and muttered, "Sure you will."

"I will! Honestly, I'll do whatever you ask of me!"

Kyuhyun scoffed. 

"You do know that I only have one bedroom, right? And only one bed. Which YOU are not going to share."

"I'll sleep on the couch."

"Even if it's uncomfortable and you get cricks in your stupid giraffe's neck?"

"Yes."

"No complaining."

"I know. I won't."

"Really?"

"Really."

"Really?"

"Absolutely."

"..."

Changmin held Kyuhyun's piercing gaze. Kyuhyun broke away first, standing abruptly and turning to head back to his apartment.

"Where's all your stuff, then? Last night, you only had that bear I gave you, which you totally lied about by the way; I'm not going to let you go that easily."

Changmin let out a short laugh of relief and trailed after a miffed Kyuhyun. Mission accomplished.

"I thought it'd be better to get your approval first."

"What would you have done if I'd said no?"

"So you mean you're saying yes?"

Kyuhyun frowned. 

"Why are you transferring anyway?"

Changmin's heart thudded painfully. Because I'm in love with you.

"Because we're studying practically the same things, yet we're in different colleges. I thought it was pretty dumb. I mean, the tuitions are almost the same, the curriculum's probably pretty similar too, and my Vocals teacher right now is a hag. Talk about a total buzzkill."

Kyuhyun eyed him. "Right. Buzzkill. So you're transferring in the middle of the year because of a teacher you can't stand? Or wait..." He snickered. "Wait a minute... This couldn't be because of a girl could it? You didn't come here for me, or because of a teacher, did you? You're skirt-chasing again, aren't you?" And then Kyuhyun guffawed, spilling some of his coffee as he doubled over in laughter.

"No! Absolutely not!"

Changmin caught Kyuhyun's shoulder. "I've stopped doing that."

Kyuhyun's laughter died off. He was surprised at the gravity in Changmin's voice. "Okay," he said, standing up straight, "I believe you. But tell me seriously, is there a girl involved?"

Changmin paused, answering carefully, "There is someone I'm interested in, but I did also come to be with you." 

Please understand what I'm trying to tell you.

"Haha, I knew it! Now, I've decided. The first condition to you living with me is that you have to introduce me to her!"

Or not.