Welcome Home Present

Effortless

Glancing out the window of Siwon's car, Kyuhyun noted that they were nearing his apartment.

It had taken Kyuhyun a long time (longer than it should've, actually, given the man's obviously wealthy upbringing) to register the fact that the expensive Audi TT Coupe parked in front of the bookstore had belonged to Siwon. Yes, Kyuhyun had stared and gaped like a fish out of water, but that was to be expected, wasn't it? After all, not everyone in this world knew the comforts of $100,000 cars. And the owner of said $100,000 car had merely chuckled at his floundering expression before opening the passenger door for him, waiting for him to stumble in, before rounding the front to get to the driver's side.

Personally, the car was much too extravagant for his own tastes, and he was more than a little uncomfortable thinking about how much it would cost to repair if he were to accidentally break something, but Kyuhyun couldn't help but to drink in the luxurious interior and comfortable seats.

The drive had proceeded with Siwon amiably chattering away, with Kyuhyun content to just listen and gaze out the window.

Now, though, Kyuhyun pointed out his apartment, and the other man fell strangely silent as he pulled up to the building. Feeling awkward, Kyuhyun said goodbye to Siwon and swung open the door, reluctantly preparing to leave the enjoyable opulence of the car.

"Kyuhyun."

Looking back into the car, expectant, he was surprised when Siwon said, "I am really sorry that I hurt you again. I hope that- "

Inwardly rolling his eyes and refusing to hear any more of the apology, Kyuhyun leaned back in the car, placed his hand on Siwon's shoulder, and said sincerely, "Thank you for driving me home." Then, for fun, he added, "But I don't forgive you."

Siwon's eyes suddenly had a very kicked-puppy quality to them, and Kyuhyun let out a laugh and hurriedly amended his previous statement with, "Don't worry, I'm not that mean."

He winked.

"See you around, 'kay?"

He left a flustered Siwon and entered his apartment building, cursing himself for winking. What was he, a petty highschool girl? Shaking his head in rebuke, he hurried up the three flights of stairs that separated him from sweet, sweet sleep. There was an elevator, but the creaky old thing scared away even the most adventurous tenants of Aparment 13.

At the top of the stairs, Kyuhyun turned the corner and stopped short, senses tingling. There was a... man slumped at the foot of his door.

Kyuhyun froze, preparing to turn and run back down the stairs, but as he did so, another shape, something white and fluffy, caught his eye. 

A teddy bear.

A familiar teddy bear. 

Kyuhyun looked at the man again and let out a breathy laugh. It was Changmin. Kyuhyun had given the stuffed animal to him for his twelfth birthday, as a joke. Changmin, upon seeing the words "I <3 Min" embroidered on the bear's stomach, had promptly locked himself in his room and refused to come out until Kyuhyun, snickering, had left. Later, when asked, he'd said he'd given the bear to his little sister. What a liar.

Now, nine years later, the bear looked incredibly worn, most likely the result of spending repeated nights in Changmin's bed. (Changmin had a habit of hugging anything in close proximity while he slept; Kyuhyun had had firsthand experience on more than one occasion.) What a freakin' huge liar.

If he'd hid it all these years, why bother exposing the truth now? 

Changmin stirred in his sleep. "Kyuhyun..."

He smirked, mischievous mind working out a prank in all of two seconds. He hadn't been top of his class (as well as school-acknowledged 'Trouble King') for no reason. Now, before Changmin woke up...

--------------------

Changmin looked over at Kyu. The slightly older teen was sitting Indian-style with game controller in hand, eyes fixated upon the television, mouth shouting obscene language at the pixelated characters blasting each other on the screen. He smiled. With his messy brown hair and slightly chubby cheeks, Kyu really was kinda cute. Though of course, Changmin would never say that out loud. Not if he didn't want to lose his head, that is.

With a loud cry of triumph, Kyu fisted the air, signalling his victory over the evil trolls that now lay strewn about in various forms of dismemberment. His hyung* frowned, though, as he turned to look at Changmin. Changmin gulped.

"Why'd you stop? You left me all by myself."

He fibbed, "I got tired," then jokingly added, "Looks like you didn't need the help anyways."

Kyuhyun just rolled his eyes. "Of course I didn't. Who do you think I am?"

Changmin chuckled and patted Kyuhyun on the head as he stood up, stretching his long legs in the process. Kyuhyun scowled and moved away, but Changmin saw the smile that threatened to stretch his lips.

"Want something to eat?"

Kyuhyun didn't answer, attention already glued to the screen once more.

Now Changmin rolled his eyes, muttering under his breath, "GameKyu."

"I heard that!"

 

In the kitchen, Changmin poured some chips into a bowl and grabbed two cans of Sprite. He gathered everything into his lanky arms and prepared to return to his room- where Kyuhyun could be heard once again screaming like a madman- before remembering that he still had a box of chocolates laying around somewhere. He'd seen the chocolates while wandering aimlessly in the mall, whilst Kyuhyun was buying games, and had bought them, knowing that these were his best friend's favorite brand and flavor. His plan had been to coerce Kyu into finally lending him the new edition of StarCraft that he'd been asking to borrow for months. Months. He placed everything back on the kitchen table and went to rummage around in the pantry. 

"Changmin?"

He found the box of chocolates and brandished them in the air, giving a loud, "A-ha!" in the process.

"Hey, Kyu, look what I ha-"

He stopped speaking upon seeing Kyuhyun's troubled expression. 

"What's the matter, man?"

Kyuhyun didn't speak, instead choosing to look at the ground. His cheeks were blushing pink, and Changmin felt himself smile. It was rare to see Kyuhyun shy, and frankly, Changmin thought it was adorable. 

"Are you okay?"

Kyuhyun looked up, and suddenly, the look in his eyes wasn't so innocent anymore. Changmin's heart stopped beating. 

His hyung smirked and started moving toward Changmin in a slow, almost predatory way. Changmin felt his heart kickstart back into life, but this time it was beating as a mouse's would when cornered by a cat.

"Uh, Kyu...?" 

Changmin backed up, until he felt himself collide with the kitchen counter.

"Kyuhyun, what are you-"

He stopped talking as he felt Kyuhyun's breath on his ear. A shiver racked his body, and Changmin felt compelled to stay as still as humanly possible. 

Kyuhyun let out a breathy chuckle, and Changmin's legs suddenly felt like Jell-o.

"Don't worry, I won't bite.."

The older boy's voice sounded low and sensuous, and as he moved his head right in front of Changmin's, Changmin felt his cheeks flush bright red. 

Kyuhyun's face was right in his. Changmin glanced lower. Those lips

As if sensing Changmin's gaze, Kyuhyun his lips, smirk still in place. 

The elder, on his tiptoes, leaned in closer and closer and...

--------------------

Changmin woke to himself kissing someone warm and soft, his arms wrapped around their waist. He freaked out.

Quickly, he pushed the person away and scrambled backward, his back thudding against the door of Kyuhyun's apartment.

His own exclamation of pain was covered by a louder, more indignantand not to mention, familiar:

"Ouch! What was that for?!"

He paused. 

"Kyuhyun?"

Kyuhyun flashed his signature smirk and got up, dusting off his clothes.

"Now, that's not really an appropriate greeting for the best friend you haven't seen in months, is it?"

"What were you doing to me?!"

Changmin felt the heat blazing on his cheeks and neck.

"If I recall correctly, you were the one who started it."

Kyuhyun was grinning now.

"I was just going to fix your face a little bit," he explained while twirling a purple marker in his long fingers, "but you suddenly leaned in and started eating my face off! Really, it should be you who apologizes."

Changmin heard ringing in his ears and was sure his ears were exuding steam. He'd been the one to initiate the kiss?! His palms felt sweaty, and his mind was screaming, What if he finds out?! What are you going to do, you jackass?!

"Wanna go again?"

Changmin looked up to see Kyuhyun creeping closer and he yelped, covering his mouth and shouting, "Let's just go into your apartment, okay?!"

Kyuhyun laughed and dug his keys out of his back pocket.

"Since when did you get so shy? Man, Changmin, we seriously need to get you a girlfriend."

As he watched his best friend unlock his apartment, Changmin felt his heart sink. So Kyuhyun still had no idea, huh...

 


*hyung = older brother (literally or figuratively); just in case you don't know ;)

Oh, and by the way, the italics were all Changmin dreaming, while he was waiting at Kyuhyun's door ^u^