A Smile

Effortless

Still in his car, Siwon sat, dumbfounded, flustered, and most of all, elated

Kyuhyun likes boys. Kyuhyun's gay!!!

And Kyuhyun... had kissed him. 

Well, not fully on the mouth, but close enough. Siwon brought his hand to where he had, ever so briefly, felt the softest brush of plush lips on his face. He felt like melting into a gooey puddle of feelings. It had taken all of Siwon's self restraint to keep himself from catching Kyuhyun as he'd scrambled out of the car and pulling him back into a deeper kiss. Frankly, it was time to face it. Siwon had felt an instant connection with the younger man the instant he had collided into him (quite literally) and found himself staring into those rich, intelligent, beautiful, brown eyes. Siwon had been so immediately drawn to this boy that he had since spent every possible free moment with him, getting to know him, his cute blushes and witty remarks. 

However...

Why, then, had Kyuhyun been so sad last night? What had caused that intense onslaught of tears? In the admittedly short time of getting to know Kyuhyun, he had always been quiet and somewhat awkward, but confident in his actions in a way that made him alluring. Seeing Kyuhyun lost, and unsure, and hurt like that tore at Siwon's heart, and he wanted Shim Changmin to pay. Whatever it was he had done, it was messing Kyuhyun up and it made Siwon seethe inside. 

And whatever Shim Changmin had done, had made Kyuhyun realize he was gay. Siwon could only surmise that Kyuhyun's childhood friend had done something to to spark this epiphany, and that meant that Siwon was already behind. Behind in the race to reach Kyuhyun's heart.

He refused to lose.

--------------------

Beep. Beep. Beep.

Kyuhyun groaned. That infernal alarm. He hated it with all the passion he could muster in his sleepy state. He glanced at the clock. 7:20 AM. Saturday. He had to work a shift today. It was the weekend. Who would be there? Siwon.

Cold tendrils of unease crashed into heated spikes of embarrassment as he remembered how he had literally broken down into tears in Siwon's arms yesterday, crying and getting snot all over Siwon's posh, probably super-expensive shirt, and showing him what had to have been a really, really ugly crying face. He buried further into his bed, stomach roiling with mortification. Oh God. 

By the time Kyuhyun was able to drag himself out of bed, go through his morning routine, and get himself out the door, he was already ten minutes late for work. Yet, still, he could not bring himself to walk any faster, dreading each step he took closer to the bookstore. 

Finally, he stood in front of the door, apprehensively eyeing the "Open" sign that had already been flipped over on the door. He sighed. I'm being a coward. He pushed open the door and stepped inside. 

"Halmoni, sorry I'm late..." He said, eyes making a cautious sweep of the bookstore. No sign of a tall, hunky Asian man with a sparkling dimple. He felt a huge weight drop from his shoulders. Thank the gods Siwon was late, too.

Instead he heard, "Kyuhyun-ah, help me with this stack of books! You know how old I am! Youth these days, always late" grumbled from the store-room. 

He laughed in relief, "Yes, Halmoni, I'll be right over." He dropped his bag behind the counter, rolled up his sleeves, and got to work. 

--------------------

Tick. 

Tick.

Tick.

Kyuhyun eyed the clock, offended that it had the gall to move its hands so slowly even when he was clearly in no state to put up with its sluggish movements. Where was Siwon?

The man who looked like the next Asian Bachelor was nowhere to be seen, and had remained that way for the Past. Five. Hours. 

Kyuhyun had had to sit in the shop, distractedly picking his way through a textbook and crazedly whipping his head to the door at any customer walking in. He'd already gotten more weirded out stares than he could count on two hands. Where was he??

At this point, Kyuhyun just morosely bit at the sandwich he had packed for lunch, despairing at the turn of events. It was obvious that Siwon had gotten fed up with him and his awkwardness, and wouldn't be showing up ever again. After all, who would want to face a psycho that cried for hours, gave no explanation, told them they were gay, and then kissed them?! No one, that's who!

Kyuhyun slumped over onto the counter, relishing the cool touch of the surface on the side of his face. He blushed, suddenly remembering the look on Siwon's face after he had kissed him. For, even through the haze of tears and emotion, he could not have missed that look of surprise mixed with... with wonder. And had that been... no, it couldn't have possibly been... desire?

Kyuhyun sighed, imagining Siwon's face again, that chiseled jawline, the beautiful smile, straight nose, dark, shining eyes and-

He blinked.

...Wait.

He yelped and moved backward suddenly, realizing that he had been imagining Siwon's face so vividly because... because it was actually there. Siwon was there. 

"Thinking about something?" said vision smirked. 

"Wh-what are you doing here?!" he burst out, face flaming at having been caught daydreaming. (About Siwon, no less). 

Siwon just smiled that brilliant smile with those goddamn dimples. 

"I'm picking you up." 

"... Wh-what?" 

"I'm picking you up. I realize it's a bit early, but I've already told Halmoni we have plans, so she'll be taking care of the front end, don't worry." 

"What... plans...?" Kyuhyun asked, thoroughly confused. 

"Oh, well..." For the first time Siwon looked a bit unsure of himself, but he quickly recovered, saying, "Well, I thought we could go out today and have some fun, just the two of us." He smiled. "Like a date."

Kyuhyun's brain short-circuited. "A... d-date? Why would we go on a date?" His mind flashed back to last night. "If this is your way of pitying me, I don't want it." Hurt and embarrassed crossed his face. "Or if you're... if you're making fun of me-" 

"Wha- no!! That's not it at all!" Siwon hurried to amend himself. "I just thought that we could have fun. Together. If you really hate the idea, we don't have to. Obviously. And we don't even have to call it a date if you don't want. But... I like seeing you smile, and it looks like you really need that right now. A smile, I mean," Siwon finished awkwardly. 

Kyuhyun fought the blush that was creeping its insidious way to the surface of his face. He felt touched by Siwon's concern for him.

And... and Siwon liked his smile.

The blush won, heating his face in a rosy hue. 

"I... guess... that could be nice," Kyuhyun said slowly, mind still caught on the whole smile-thing. 

"Great!" Siwon's smile was back in full force, highest wattage beaming down upon Kyuhyun. Kyuhyun's brain all but died.

"Let's go then!" Siwon happily dragged Kyuhyun out from behind the counter and they made their merry way out the store.

Siwon's grandmother looked out the window as the two left, observing the way Siwon was boldly, yet gently, leading Kyuhyun along by the hand, and the flustered look Kyuhyun had as he stared at Siwon's face. She smiled to herself. My, my... how good it is to be young.

--------------------

Kyuhyun stared at the crepe-cone-thingy in his hand. Then he stared at Siwon. Then back to his crepe. Then back at Siwon, who was blissfully digging in to his own crepe-cone-thingy. 

Was this... a date? He literally had just been to one yesterday (disastrous though it was), yet his mind just could not get over that single word. Date. Perhaps it was due to his extremely recent ual awakening, but he just felt so... confused. A date... with a boy... with Siwon. 

From the bookstore, they had walked for about ten minutes, Siwon holding fast to his hand, before Kyuhyun had dug in his heels and stopped the other man, demanding that Siwon tell him where they were going. Siwon had just smiled and pointed. Without Kyuhyun realizing it, they had ended up at the nearby riverwalk. Siwon had told Kyuhyun to find a bench while he went to buy some ice cream. Kyuhyun hadn't realized ice cream would be purchased for him, too. 

Kyuhyun felt his face burn for what must have been the umpteenth time that day as he resumed staring at his dessert. 

"Do you not like it?"

"Wh- no, no! It's very good!" Kyuhyun started. "It's... great!" To show he meant it, he shoved a massive bite into his mouth, wincing a bit as the cold ice cream hit his teeth. 

Siwon laughed. "I'm sorry... I must have made you feel awkward. Suddenly dragging you out here like this..." he trailed off.

Kyuhyun felt bad. "No, I'm having a great time! I'm sorry, I guess I'm just- confused- by why you wanted to spend time... with me."

Siwon felt his pulse quicken. Now was his chance.

He looked at Kyuhyun with a serious gaze. "I meant what I said earlier, Kyuhyun. I genuinely enjoy spending time with you. And, well, I like you." He grinned. "I think you're cute."

Thud. Thud.

Kyuhyun suddenly couldn't hear over the roaring of his heartbeat in his ears.

"Ex- excuse me?"

Siwon chuckled and leaned in closer. "That's what I'm talking about."

Kyuhyun couldn't breathe. He watched, but couldn't comprehend, as Siwon's hand lifted to his face, seemingly to cup his cheek. Is he- is he going to... kiss me?? 

Kyuhyun felt the man's thumb brush against his lips, then to the corner of his mouth. "I- uhm-"

Siwon's eyes glinted mischievously. Abruptly, he retracted his hand.

Kyuhyun felt the sudden loss of warmth on his face and, to his utter embarrassment, felt himself leaning forward ever so slightly to chase it. Siwon grinned.

Then, he brought the pad of finger to his lips and 

On the ice cream that had just been on Kyuhyun's face.

"Mmmm... that's good. I should have gotten the coffee pecan for myself," said Siwon, nonchalantly. 

Kyuhyun blushed. Hard. 

"Th- that's...! You...! Here!" Kyuhyun shoved his cone into Siwon's face. "If you're going to try it, do it properly!" He near-shouted, looking resolutely at anything that wasn't Siwon's-goddamn-perfect-face. 

Amused, Siwon took a real bite of Kyuhyun's ice cream crepe, savouring the bitter taste of coffee against the sweetness of the cream. Then, he held out his own. "Here, try mine too, it's also very good."

Kyuhyun looked tentatively at Siwon's matcha mint combo. He leaned forward, opening his mouth-

And Siwon dropped his cone. Onto Kyuhyun's lap.

"Ah- !" Siwon swore. "I'm so sorry, I didn't mean to!"

Kyuhyun hurriedly salvaged what was left of the ice cream as Siwon scrambled for napkins. Siwon swiped at the blotch of ice cream on Kyuhyun's pants.

"I'm really sorry! I should have-" He stopped himself as he looked at Kyuhyun.

Kyuhyun... was laughing

"Hahaha- ohmygod- haha- you- you-" he wheezed in between laughs, "You are SO clumsy!" Kyuhyun doubled over, still clutching both ice creams. "Who would have thought, someone as suave as you, being so clumsy all the time!" 

Siwon chuckled. "I swear, it's gotten better lately! I mean, it really only happens around you..."

"Don't lie! Halmoni told me about that time with the Christmas presents last year!" Kyuhyun laughed, while Siwon had the grace to look slightly embarrassed. 

"Well," Siwon said, "Even though I've ruined your pants, I'm glad I could see you smile."

Kyuhyun looked at him, mirth momentarily forgotten. 

"I wasn't lying before about that. Your smile is really beautiful." 

Kyuhyun felt the now-familiar heat rush to his face. This man... is such a flirt

Siwon took his ice cream back from Kyuhyun. Then, he seemed to consider something, staring at Kyuhyun all the while. Siwon took his hand. 

"Ah... this is no good. The ice cream leaked onto your fingers too." He raised Kyuhyun's hand to his mouth. 

"N- no!" Kyuhyun snatched his hand back. "I- I can use the napkins, thanks." He muttered, taking some napkins and hurriedly wiping the offending ice cream away. Wow, it really was hot today. 

Kyuhyun stood up abruptly. "I think... I should go now. I have to- study," he lied.

Siwon stood up with him. "Oh, okay, how about I drive you back?"

"No!" Kyuhyun shouted. "I mean- no, it's fine. I can walk, it's not far."

Siwon frowned. "Well, at least allow me to walk you home."

Kyuhyun paused. "I... okay," he aquiesced. 

Siwon lit up. Kyuhyun tried to ignore the sudden breathlessness he felt. 

--------------------

Compared to the earlier harrowing events, the walk to Kyuhyun's apartment was relatively uneventful. He and Siwon walked a respectful distance apart and talked about normal, daily things, such as Siwon's work and Kyuhyun's studies. Kyuhyun felt himself relaxing as they continued along. And then, as they stopped on the sidewalk in front of his door, Kyuhyun remembered. 

"Ah- I'm... I'm really sorry about yesterday, Siwon-hyung. I wasn't feeling great, and then I... realized something, and for some reason, I-" He felt himself blushing, and couldn't bring himself to look into Siwon's face. "-I kissed you. Sort of. So I'm sorry if that was weird for you." 

Siwon stared, stunned at this gorgeous boy's denseness. For all his smarts, could it be possible...? Did Kyuhyun really not realize his own charms? How drawn to him Siwon was? 

Siwon lifted his hand to Kyuhyun's face, as he had at the park earlier. He tilted Kyuhyun's chin upwards and leaned in. He felt his breath catch at the look in Kyuhyun's eyes- confused, yes, but... open, unguarded and, dare he hope, expecting?

He pressed his lips at the corner of Kyuhyun's mouth, exactly where the ice cream had been, and exactly where Kyuhyun had kissed him yesterday. Then he smiled rakishly. "It was anything but weird for me, Kyuhyun-ah."

 


A/N: Hello, hello! Back with another update more than a year later ehehe... I hope you liked it! Here is an image of what I imagined the crepe-cone-thingy to be (they're very tasty).