Chapter Five

Forget About Regrets

 

            “Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.” Your head rolled up and your eyes opened to Princess Bride still on to the part were Inigo is about to kill the six- man. Exo was still asleep but you couldn’t wake them. They looked perfect. You gently pushed Zitao off your shoulder and laid the blanket you had on your legs across his body and got up from the couch and walked out of the room.

            Grandma was pulling the shirts out of the dryer and shook them out before hanging the shirts up. You stood in the doorway of the small laundry room and watched her.

            “Are they still asleep?” She asked without looking up.

You nodded, “Yes.”

            “Ever since they came over to swim that one day you became a completely different person.”

            “I have?”

            “Yes. You don’t stay inside all day complaining. You’re outside helping your Grandpa garden or you’re golfing with him. You’ve read a dozen books already, and you’re going on walks with me. Swimming with those boys I haven’t even seen you on the phone much at all in the past two weeks.”

You started to think back and realized you had changed. “I guess you’re right. There is more to life than just a computer screen.”

            “Now you see how we old people lived without the Internet and television.”

            “You’re not that old.” You chuckled.

            The thunderstorm had finally stopped and as the sun started to beam through the windows in the house again Exo started making noises of waking up. You walked back to the TV room and saw them stretching at the ending credits of the movie rolled.

            “Have a nice nap?”

            “The best.” Jongdae said raising his arms above his head.

            “Are our shirts dry?” Sehun asked tossing the blanket off his legs and removed Luhan’s arm from his waist.

            “Yes. They just got out of the dryer.”

            “Great.” Kyungsoo smiled and leaned to the side to look behind you at Grandma. “Thanks Ajumma!”

            “You’re welcome!” she answered back.

            Exo got up and walked to the laundry room to get their shirts. The doorbell rang and you answered it letting their manager in. He told Exo it was time to go home and they followed him out the door. Zitao glanced back at you and smiled before you closed the door.

            You went to the bathroom to shower and change clothes before you helped Grandma with dinner but you were distracted. The smile Zitao gave you has never been seen before. Grandma looked at you and laughed.

            “What?” You asked looking up at her.

            “You’re cheeks are as pink as you’re shorts.”

            “No they aren’t!”

She laughed again and pointed to the mirror by the front door. You walked across the house to the mirror and gasped at your reflection. You’re cheeks were the soft pink of your shorts. You slapped your cheeks and went back to the kitchen and took a wash cloth and got it damp with cold water to press it against your cheeks.

 After dinner you went with Grandma to the craft store because you needed more paper for your scrap book. You found a few space types and one with hexagons and had to get them. They were Exo all the way. You got a few pens and stickers before going back home to start on the scrape book again.

Around ten at night someone knocked on your window. You knew who it was and just opened it to let Zitao in. His body language wasn’t the same and he kept avoiding eye contact.

“Zitao? What’s wrong?”

He cleared his throat. “We’re going back to Korea this weekend. SM called our manager and he told us after dinner that it was time to come back.”

Your heart sank. “R-really?”

            “Yes.” He nodded.

You looked down at your feet. “That’s good.”

            “No. It’s not.”

            “Yes it is!” you looked up. “I’ve been selfish all summer. Keeping Exo to myself. There are a million other fans dying for any news of you all and here I am!”

Zitao grabbed hold you your shoulders and pulled you into his embrace. You gasped but didn’t fight him off. “Don’t cry.” He whispered your hair.

You felt the tears stream down your cheeks and soak into his thin cotton shirt.

            “We still have a few days. So don’t cry tonight.”

            “Zitao.” You whispered.

            “And you’re not selfish. You’re the most amazing fan.”