Buried Cats, OTPs and Shrimp Crackers

ECO-Idols

“Hey hyung, what’s it like to have danced with SHINee?” Daehyun inquired as he graded the essays the kids had handed in. They weren’t exactly essays, only Melissa’s had more than 100 words on the scented paper, the rest of the kids had basically rubbed their asses with it. Aaron had handed up his ‘Best Day Ever’ descriptive essay with a picture of B.A.P battling Darth Vader and ending up with one of the blonde sketches losing an arm. None of B.A.P had the heart to ask which.

 

“I guess it’s okay,” Luhan replied as he folded (/crumpled-up-into-a-ball-and-tossed-them-into-the cupboard) the kids’ clothes next to Daehyun on the floor, “it was painful though, ‘cause most of the footwork is tricky.”

 

“It’s insane how good they all are, I mean, they all look equally good. All five of them take up the dance breaks instead of just Taemin.”

 

“Yeah, that tends to happen when you only have five members. We can’t fit 12 people into a dance break, the photographers would snap… and Chanyeol might die. Have I told you the story of when Eunhyuk-sunbae tried to teach him how to handstand?”

 

“No.”

 

“Yeah, remember this story every time you feel sad.” Luhan peered out the window to see if Chanyeol could hear. Chanyeol and Kris were huddled on the dirt outside, ears pressed against the soil and calling out something that sounded weirdly like ‘kitty, kitty, kitty, are you dead’. Deciding that he didn’t care about knowing what they were doing, he turned back to Daehyun.

 

“Once he tried to practise doing the handstand Eunhyuk taught him earlier in the dorm but he fell over and hit his head on the counter. He knocked himself out.”

 

“Damn, what happened after that?”

 

“Baekhyun found him a couple of hours later, still out cold. He put a blanket over him ‘cause he thought Chanyeol decided to sleep in the middle of the damn kitchen floor.”

 

“… Baekhyun’s not very bright, is he?”

 

“Nope.”

 

“They have a pretty strong OTP standing though, don’t they?” Daehyun asked, then catching Luhan’s surprise, “…not that I know much about that stuff, I just happened to read somewhere and no, I don’t know about their fan-cafes and…” he trailed off as Luhan gave him the hairy eyeball.

 

“…I’m not a fanboy. Really.”

 

“…right.”

 

“Hey, kids.” Himchan suddenly stuck his head in,”… and uncle,” he nodded towards Luhan and the baby-faced member grit his teeth, “hey, we need to talk to Zelo about the maths homework he’s been assigning the kids. I think high school messed him up.”

 

“Why? What’s wrong with the questions?”

 

Himchan chucked Luhan one of the papers, which he caught and read off.

 

“Uh, ‘Kang has four apples and gives one away… Calculate the weight of the sun,’.

 

“Lol,” Daehyun grinned, “sounds like him.” Luhan looked at him.

 

“Did you… he glanced at Himchan then back at Zelo, “did you just say ‘lol’?”

 

“Yeah, it’s what kids our generation does,” Daehyun shrugged and Luhan growled, “wait, no. Read another one, this hilariously, sadly, accurately defines life.”

 

“Okay, question two, ‘Jong orders 20tonnes of Cheetos and gives away 15 tonnes, calculate the strength of the plastic bag used to carry them in terms of SI units,’.”

 

“Lol.”

 

“Seriously. Stop that.”

 

“Le-mow.”

 

Luhan stared.

 

What?

 

“Le-mow. L-M-A-O?”

 

“That… that’s a French cat you just impersonated!”

 

“No! That’s le-meow.”

 

…WHAT?

 

Gawd, you’re old.

 

“I’m not old, nothing you said is legitimate!”

 

“Roffle.”

 

“What?”

 

“Roffle. R-O-F-L?”

 

Luhan swatted Daehyun’s head with the paper.

 

Just then, Penny pranced in.

 

“Oppa, did you know that the bicycle is the acoustic version of a motorcycle? Fun fact!”

 

Then, she pranced out again. Luhan stared around helplessly as Himchan and Daehyun’s face flooded with a kind of thoughtful revelation.

 

“…what the heck is everyone in this convent taking.”

*

 

Samuel sat on the bench on the side of the convent, his short legs swinging back to front together as he stared into the distance, his gaze drifting over the rusty playground and silhouettes of aspen trees waving in the distance. Jongdae, in the midst of checking his phone looked up and glanced at the tiny figure. He tucked the iPhone into his jeans pockets and sat down next to the child.

 

“Whatcha doing?”

 

Samuel stared blankly ahead, ignoring him.

 

Jongdae awkwardly stretched, looking around in uncomfortable silence. Yongguk was dangling over a slide in a painful position, painting the rusted parts whilst Suho held on to his legs, face red with effort and sweat. Kris and Chanyeol for some reason were furiously pawing at the ground, letting showers of dirt fly behind them and occasionally landing on his Kenzo sandals. He flicked the soil off irritably, before turning back to Samuel.

 

“Hey, did you know that strawberries, raspberries or blackberries aren’t actually berries?”

 

Silence.

 

“Do you sing? I could give you singing lessons. I can go up almost as high as IU,” Chen didn’t quit. Still, the child ignored him.

 

“You know why everyone evacuated the women and children first on the Titanic?”

 

Silence.

 

“So that everyone else could think in silence!”

 

Silence.

 

“You know, because girls are supposed to panic and make a fuss in an emergency…” Jongdae started to realise that he was sounding like a prat and trailed off awkwardly, “nothing against girls. I love girls.”

 

Samuel exhaled.

 

“You know once Jongup once tried to clear snow with firecrackers? He was almost arrested. He and Zelo were assigned to do it since they’re the youngest two. He got sick of it and tried to set off twenty firecrackers in the lawn. He said he hadn’t ‘the willpower necessary to move a million tons of white bull’. It was hilarious, hahaha…”

 

Samuel lowered his eyelids slowly, and took a deep breath. At first glance, Jongdae thought he was meditating, but then he realised that the kid quarter his age was counting from one to ten under his breath, before lifting his eyes to glare at the EXO-M singer. Jongdae flinched.

 

“Don’t you have stuff to do?”

 

“Are you okay? You never seem to laugh.”

 

“I laugh. Just not around you, because you’re not funny.”

 

“…ouch. That was low.”

 

“IT’S ALIVEEEEEEEEEEE!” Jongdae jolted as Kris suddenly gave a blood-curling screech. Suho let go, startled and there was a huge crash as Yongguk disappeared behind the slide, followed by the sound of joints cracking and a baritone ‘owwwwww~’.

 

Kris and Chanyeol cradled something in their arms and shot back indoors, pushing past a certain, small figure standing straight at the doorwar. Her short fringe fluttered in the breeze, her gaze was intense as they burned into the hole in the ground. Jongdae and Samuel flinched as Melissa averted that stare to them.

 

“Damn it.”

 

*

 

Heechul

Online

 

Hyung.

 6:30PM ✓✓

 

Huh? Hellooooo Minseok.

 6:30AM✓✓

 

Senpai’s kokoro beats for you!

 6:30AM✓✓

♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥

6:30AM✓✓

 

I think we should talk.

6:31AM✓✓

♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥

6:31AM ✓✓

Please.

6:32AM✓✓

I’m going crazy, hyung. I need you stop all this.

6:32AM✓✓

It’s disturbing and distracting. I can’t get enough rest.

6:32AM✓✓

But I lub youuuuuuuu

6:33AM ✓✓

Well I hate it. Stop.

6:33AM✓✓

I can’t practise, I’m having a nervous breakdown. Please. I’m asking you from the bottom of my heart. I truly respect you, but all this PDA is driving me insane, and it’s honestly a little creepy.

6:33AM✓✓

Wait, are you serious?

6:34AM ✓✓

Very much so. Please.

6:34AM ✓✓

….whoa.

6:35AM ✓✓

….damn, I was just messing around.

6:35AM ✓✓

Fanservice and stuff, I really didn’t mean to sabotage you or anything.

6:35AM ✓✓

It wasn’t funny. It was gross. I’m a man. There are limits.

6:36AM ✓✓

, son.

6:36AM ✓✓

Fine.

6:36AM ✓✓

I’ll leave you alone from now on, okay? I’m sorry.

6:36AM ✓✓

You’d better.

6:37AM ✓✓

I’m calling your manager if you do it again.

6:37AM ✓✓

What the hell?

6:37AM ✓✓

HAHAHHAHAHAHHHA I was just kidding Heechul opppaaaa

6:38AM ✓✓

My kokoro beats for you toooooooooooo

6:38AM ✓✓

Lub you lub you lub you

6:38AM ✓✓

BADUM BADUM BADUM

6:38AM ✓✓

XOXOXOXOXOOXOXOXOXOXOOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXO

6:38AM ✓✓

Hello, Heechul-sunbaenim. I’m truly sorry about the previous texts before this, they were all sent by Zelo of B.A.P. He stole my phone.

6:48AM ✓✓

He was trying to be funny, I’m sorry if he was offensive. My sincerest apologies.

6:48AM ✓✓

♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥

♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥

♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥

♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥

♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥

♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥

♥  ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥

6:50AM ✓✓

I still lub you Minseookiieeeee

6:51AM ✓✓

J J J

6:51AM ✓✓

 

 

*

 

ZELO

Online

 

GAWDDAMMIT JUNHONG

6:53AM ✓✓

6:51AM ✓✓

 

*

 

There were moments when they were exceptionally close, Jongup thought remembered as he watched Zelo smile at him from across the room. He paused, book hovering in mid-air as the taller member’s face glowed with a kind of serenity. His eyes sparkled and his skin seemed so clear and smooth, like a baby’s. He grinned back and helped Yixing and Sehun pack the books back up onto the shelves. Yixing seemed close with Sehun, Jongup thought as he watched Sehun poke Yixing’s hip and elicit a maniacal laugh as Yixing gave a kind of frantic spasm as though electrocuted. Yixing was too (drunk) shy to poke back, but judging from the way Sehun , it wasn’t hard to guess that they were close. Chanyeol and Kris got along well too, Jongup went on contemplating as they both shot past the door, cradling something that seemed to be hissing and spitting in what looked like a sack. Luhan and Daehyun’s laughter rang into the library. Jongup smiled to himself – everyone was getting along, it was a good day.

 

Everyone seemed to have their corny pranks, jokes or teasing. Chanyeol liked to pretend to pull down Kris’ towel when he walked out of the bathroom. Tao liked trying to trick Suho into showering with him using aegyo. Sehun and Luhan texted each other in the same room, Himchan and Jongdae hung out in the kitchen snorting coffee and tea whilst judging Minseok as he walked around with a rabbit with stressed eyes. He supposed he had some antics with Yixing as well, like how they would scroll through funny posts together on 9Gag and Facebook, laughing quietly at memes and GIFs. It was fun hanging out with EXO, but at the end of the day, he always spoke to Zelo the most.

 

As he watched Zelo approach him, a few images started to flash through his mind. Like how they spent their first Christmas together exchanging presents. He had gotten Zelo one of his old socks with a card in it and Zelo gave him one, solo glove with a smiley face on it. Then the first time he cracked in front of Zelo, because it was 2 days before their first Inkigayo performance, and he spent the whole day tackling Zelo to the floor like a demented, neglected, attention-craving koala on crack. There was also the time Zelo took his SATS and he helped the younger member integrate equations as the older members went to Hongdae. There were also times when they decided to pull an all-nighter watching movies and playing football on the court downstairs in the chilly evening. Then, they would have supper at one of the midnight stands that sold black beans and pork noodles with free kimchi. It was nice how close they were.

 

But there was something about the way Zelo was looking at him this time. He blinked as Zelo reached over and rested a palm on the rack by his side, his tall figure towering over himself as Zelo smoothed his own fringe back. His gaze was unwavering. Jongup decided to ignore him and was about to pass Yixing another book when suddenly he felt a soft finger glide over his sideburns and tucked a stray strand of red hair to the side behind the rims of his fashion glasses (which had no lenses). He jolted suddenly and twisted around to stare at Zelo, the taller member was way too close now. He tried to twist away under Zelo’s arm, but suddenly, a strong elbow hooked around his neck and pressed him close towards Zelo’s chest. Sehun and Yixing were staring at them, mouth wide open and swatting each other like fangirls witnessing a skinship session. Jongup started as he felt Zelo’s breath on his ear, they were too close now… too close… Should he pull away? Would Zelo be offended… what was going on, he was so confused… The next words that came out of Zelo’s lips were soft, like a tender whisper…

 

Eat up all my shrimp crackers again and you’re dead meat.

 


Happy 2nd week of  March 2016!

Okay, that was random. Hope you enjoy this chapter! I wrote it at 2am, so I'm kinda dazed. Hope this won't be one of the times when I wake up tomorrow and be like... "what the heck did I just post".

Anyway, thanks for reading! Feedback is always appreciated, but if you can't be bothered it's okay. Just have fun!

Peace out,

GwagHyeYu