Eight

Deeply Rooted
 
“So,” Chanhee Hyung began, when both of us settled down at our usual table of the cafe—both, because apparently Byunghun Hyung was having a mini reunion with his high school friends who happened to be in the cafe as well—“How are you with her?”
 
Her. Hyun Ae.
 
I knew sooner or later, either hyungs would ask me about her. I just didn’t expect it to be that soon, so I was slightly taken aback by the question. Plus, quite honestly, I wasn’t actually prepared to answer any question regarding Hyun Ae.
 
I brought myself to reply to Chanhee Hyung’s question nonetheless, but not before gulping to find a piece of strength that is.
 
“We...” I trailed off as a start, mentally searching for the right word to define the status of our relationship, while habitually looking at anything but Chanhee Hyung, sneakily trying to stall some time. After what seemed like ages, with Chanhee Hyung raising his left eyebrow which showed his thinning patience, I finally gave in.
 
“We broke up... hyung.”
 
I felt embarrassed that I actually squeaked the last word out. In the attempt to ease my nervousness, I decided to keep my eyes trained on the surface of the coffee that I ordered, and used the small spoon to swirl the hot drink.
 
However, I could tell that Chanhee Hyung was keeping his stern gaze on me, the reaction that he had every time Daniel Hyung or I made silly—or rather, unforgiveable—mistakes. The alternative that he used instead of yelling at us. Just like during those college days when he caught me red-handed for using his belongings without his permission.
 
After a couple of minutes burning holes into the crown of my bowed head, he sighed indignantly. “I’ve told you Changhyun-ah. You weren’t ready yet.”
 
Upon hearing his statement, I began tracing unintelligeable patterns on the outer surface of my cup in front of me.
 
I remembered he was the only one among our circle of friends who threw me a disapproving look and seemed unhappy when I announced my relationship with Hyun Ae. There were countless times when he attempted to discreetly ask me, ‘are you sure about this, Changhyun-ah’ in his concerned voice, and I had always tried to convince him that I was fine. Sometimes, I didn’t even respond to him, pretending that I didn’t hear the questions that he asked me.
 
As for now, to be honest, despite knowing the fact that he was upset, somehow I felt relieved with his response to my declaration earlier. At least it was not a string of ‘serves you right’s being spat to my face.
 
When Chanhee Hyung asked how we ‘broke up’, I briefly hesitated, as I wasn't sure on how I should tell him. In only a spur of moments, however—and for still being in the state of denial—I quickly recovered when an instinct to defend myself naturally kicked in.
 
“She found out about Aeri,” I carefully began, “Apparently, they met during the volunteer work that both of them were participating, and somehow she was able to tell that the girl she saw was the Aeri. Then she gave me a silent treatment for about...a week? Yes she still texted me, but she put the contacting to the minimum. I received a letter from her a few days after that, and she said that,” I paused and gulped for a moment, “I didn’t care about our relationship, and she felt like giving up.”
 
Yes, I told Chanhee Hyung the events that led to my 'breakup'. However, I twisted them to make it as if I was the victim of the situation, not Hyun Ae.
 
Chanhee Hyung was silent by the time I finished telling him. He seemed to be pondering at my explanation, looking out the nearest wall-window, presumably searching for words to comfort me. His much anticipated response which came a few minutes later, however, shocked me.
 
“I don’t blame her,” he remarked in a rather nonchalant way. “If I was her, I would do the same thing as well.”
 
I was surprised that he didn’t have any hint of empathy towards me. I was genuinely dumbfounded when the words of comfort that I was expecting didn’t leave his lips. In fact, it was the other way round. It seemed as if he was taking Hyun Ae’s side. 
 
It made me wonder if I should have told him the real circumstances instead.
 
Silence ensued for a fair stretch of time—with me occasionally fidgeting in my seat, and Chanhee Hyung slowly swirling his drink while staring blankly at his cup, drowning himself in the depth of his thoughts—before he made the initiative to break the stillness.
 
"You know, I’m still not sure the real reason why she was your choice, Changhyun-ah,” he began, obviously referring to Hyun Ae. “Because somehow,” he paused as he sipped at his latte, successfully capturing my attention. “I could see Aeri in her too.”
 
His firm voice, however, betrayed the words of uncertainty that he just uttered. Knowing the ever critical Lee Chanhee, the contrast in his voice and words was definitely intentional. He didn’t show even the slightest hint of doubt with his speculation apparently, especially when his doe-like eyes were once again boring holes on my face.
 
Needless to say, I found myself averting my gaze once again, and having a hard time gulping down the lump that was suddenly formed in my throat.
 
 
 

[ A/N ]
 
This chapter will be majorly connected to the last one.
 
New subscribers: uniquecorn, 1998saranamichael, Minderaser
Thank you! 
 
One scene left! Hopefully I could cover every possible 'question mark' in the last chapter and give a decent ending to this story. Bear with me, pepol! *gives virtual hugs to all my subscribers and readers*
 
Posted: 01/02/2014, 03:00