Scene 3: Mad as a Hatter

Take 1 or Nothing at All

 

The pretty, milky skinned boy lays his hands into mine and waits.  His long fingers are as beautiful as the rest of his features.  As much as I want to hold onto his hands like this I'd rather do it in the confines of our home, he has misunderstood my actions.  He looks at me with wonderment, anticipation, and fear.  What's going on in your mind, Byun Baekhyun?  Will you allow me to enter your world as easily as you place your soft hand into mine?  I lower my hand, clasping on to his then remove his from my grasp, once I pull him to my side I wrap my arm around him and laugh quietly disguising it with a cough.
 
"Do you know where class is?"  I ask him, pretending that his actions of hand holding was exactly what I wanted, what I expected from him so as to cause no embarrassment on his part.  
 
"Oh, well, my class is S-1."  He looks down at his schedule.  We have the same schedule.  I told the headmaster that it would be a great idea for him to share the same schedule and homeroom class to better acquaint my soon to be brother.  
 
"Cool.  That's the same class as mine."  I lead them to the cafeteria where my friends Jongdae and Chanyeol are waving at me.  I nod to them and show Sehun the line to pick up their lunch.  He and Baekhyun move to the end of the line.
 
"Are you not eating?"  Let me calm down from our recent skinship Baekhyun, then I'll eat.  
 
"I'll be fine."  I high five Chanyeol and Jongdae who are busily chatting with a couple girls on our table.  The girls smile at me when I take my seat.  They are occupying two seats next to me which should be for Sehun and Baekhyun.  No worries, I'll just move them once the two get their food.  Girls approach our table and place bentos in front of us running away shyly giggling and squealing. Chanyeol rubs his palms together getting ready to dig in.  Kyungsoo approaches us with a handful of pastries.  
 
"Seriously, I am surprised that I am not diabetic from all these sweet stuff these girls give us to eat."  He drops the various pastries on our table and the two girls sitting next to me are shocked by the table full of food made just for us.  I see Baekhyun and Sehun approaching us slowly, probably wondering where there seat is.  I whisper to the girl to the right of me and she gets up and bows, taking her tray of food and her friend on the left of me out of our table.
 
"Ya, Jongin, why'd you let them leave?"  Chanyeol pouts.  His voice is actually way lower than mine and his cute pout just doesn't match well with it.
 
"I don't like sitting with girls while I enjoy my food."
 
"These meals were prepared by girls like them."  He reminds me.  The truth is Chanyeol, I don't want Baekhyun to get the wrong idea of me.  I motion them to approach us and they reluctantly place their tray amongst all the bentos.  
 
"What is all this?"  Sehun asks.  
 
"Free meals."  Jongdae responds.  He holds his hands out and introduces himself.  Sehun gladly takes his hands and introduces himself too.  Chanyeol and Kyungsoo greets him as well.  Baekhyun is sitting quietly next to me.  I place my arm on the back of his chair, he smiles at my friends and greets them.  I try to make eye contact with Chanyeol who is staring at Baekhyun, practically drooling.  I kick him from under the table and he looks at me.  I nod my head no, and he pouts again.  He continues eating but keeps stealing glances at Baekhyun.  I lean towards Baekhyun and whisper in his ear.  
 
"After you eat, I'll show you our classroom."  He looks at me oddly.  Yeah, I know, I didn't need to whisper that in your ear.  But it got Chanyeol to nod his head as if he understood that I've marked Baekhyun for my own.  
 
"Hey guys."  L and 2 members of his crew appear before us all smiles.  "Looks like the ladies flooded your table with goodies again.  Ours is just as full."  He points to his table on the other side of the cafeteria.  Hoya waves at us from where he's seated.  
 
"What's up, dude?"  I say.  "You all figured out a song for the dance competition?"
 
"Not yet.  Still bouncing around ideas.  You?"  
 
"Nah, just got back from spring break so we haven't actually talked about it yet."  
 
"Who's this?  New student?"  L asks looking at Baekhyun.  
 
"Ah, this Baekhyun and this is Sehun.  Sehun is a grade below us."
 
"Hey.  My name is L."  He shakes hands with Sehun and introduces Dongwoo and Woohyun who's with him.  He turns his attention to Baekhyun who's busy eating his meal silently completely avoiding any eye contact from anyone on the table. "Hi there."  L squats in front of Baekhyun making him look right in his eyes.
 
"Your name is L?"  Baekhyun replies.  I laugh due to his question.  "You all have interesting names."
 
L laughs too.  "Just Kai and me.  Named after manga characters.  It's nice meeting you, Baekhyun."  
 
"Alright get outta here.  You all are making our table look ugly."  I joke with him.  L is one of the most popular guys in the school especially with the girls.  He and his crew of friends are in the soccer team with us and they are our biggest fans during our basketball games.  They made giant posters of our heads on sticks this past season.  It was hilarious and just awesome.
 
"I'll see you in class Kai.  See you Baek."  Baekhyun looks up and bows giving a slight smile.  He continues to stare at L and this gets me a bit jealous.  I saw him first Kim Myungsoo.  
 
Lunch is almost over and we leave the empty bentos on the table.  The girls will randomly come by to pick their bentos up and refill them with meals tomorrow.  The pastries and leftovers we spared are gathered by Kyungsoo everyday, and one of us delivers them to the local children's adoption center after school.  Baekhyun is following me a few steps behind like before.  We send Sehun off with Jongdae and Kyungsoo to show him his classroom, Chanyeol slings an arm over me and tries to speak quietly regarding Baekhyun.
 
"Your step-brothers are good looking.  This isn't fair that you, Luhan and those two all live in one household."  I elbow his side.  "I think Baekhyun is prettier than Taemin."  
 
"You think so, huh?"  
 
"Ever since Taemin debuted you haven't felt your heart quicken until you met that one, am I right?"
 
"Taemin and I had feelings that were fleeting.  But, yeah, you know me too well, Park Chanyeol."  I look over my shoulder and Baekhyun is quietly walking behind us still, 7 feet back
 
"And he lives in your house too.  Fate really loves you Kim Jongin."  He looks over at Baekhyun again.  "He doesn't say much does he?"
 
"Sehun told me he wasn't always like that.  He was very social but experiences have jaded him."
 
"It's time for you to jade him, hehe."  
 
"That doesn't even make any sense."
 
"I don't know what jaded means."  I laugh at his honesty.  "But you better move quickly.  Hoya sent me a text saying that L has his eyes on the pretty new boy."  .
 
"I knew it.  L doesn't speak a lot either, and then he's all trying to be chatty and approachable with him."
 
"You don't speak a lot too, and you've been more active lately."
 
"Active?"
 
"Alive."
 
"Alive?"
 
"Awake."
 
"Awake?"
 
"You know, not so dark and mysterious and lazy looking when not dancing and tutoring and leading."  I just laugh at how excited he is for my sudden personality change.  "I still can't believe they voted you for class president, you barely talk to these people.  But then again, you've always been better with the one on one stuff."
 
"Does that last statement have some sort of ual connotation, Channie?" 
 
"Of course not.  Although I know your playboy ways.  The lucky handful of girls who you've made out with brag about what you can do with that tongue of yours."
 
"Ya."  I worry that Baekhyun over heard that.  "It was never like that, and they are all lying about the tongue.  I can kiss, but I don't french kiss.  Stop encouraging them and those rumors."
 
"Okay, okay, but seriously, move quickly.  I know you move at a turtle's pace and you may miss your chance.  Maybe he will be the one that makes you actually feel for someone, you know?"  Chanyeol is referring to my usual, non-emotional state of melancholy I usually have.  My father had me diagnosed for ataraxia, a state of serenity and lack of any other emotion but that.
 
"Don't forget about our student council meeting today.  And tomorrow have everyone come over so we can figure out what song we are going to use for the dance competition.  I need to get the choreography made."
 
"Yes sir."  Chanyeol salutes me and his loud voice frightens Baekhyun causing him to stop and bump into me grabbing my hand and  apologizing repeatedly.  Chanyeol grabs my collar to make me lean my ear towards him, he whispers, "you're welcome" and then runs into the classroom.  I felt Baekhyun's hip touch my back and his hands wrapped over mine causing my heart to beat quickly.  I turn to him shaking the feeling off, and smile to show him into the classroom.  
 
The class looks up and sees the beauty in front of them.  Girls are ers for flower boys, and Baekhyun fits that mold perfectly, almost too perfectly as I get a sudden ping of jealousy and push him towards the back row of seats where I sit and to avoid all the eyes of future fangirls.
 
"Kai-ssi?"  A soft voice from behind me calls out my name.  I turn around and it's Nana.  Her blonde hair is striking as her stunning features and I notice Baekhyun look at her with wide eyes.  She's a very beautiful girl, and has been trying to approach me since our sophomore year to no avail.
 
"Hi.  Nana."  She hands me a small can of orange soda and skitters to her seat.  I sit down on my seat next to the window and I see Baekhyun removing his notebook from his backpack.  "Do you like the bag?"
 
"Oh, it's great.  It's rather expensive though, I would have been fine with-"
 
I grab hold of the bottom of his chair to pull him near me.  I lean over his shoulder and say to him, "remember what I told you earlier?"  He scoots his chair back by his desk and smiles.  
 
"Thanks.  I remember."  He takes out a pencil and nervously spins it on his long, delicate fingers.  How can someone's hands be so beautiful?
 
"Class president?  Class president?"  I am lost in my thoughts, thinking of pushing Baekhyun against the wall and pressing my lips on the side of his neck, when I hear a chirping.  Baekhyun looks at me.  Thinking that he heard my thoughts, I sit back on my chair with a surprised look.  He tilts his head cutely and smiles pointing to the front of the classroom.  The teacher is calling me.
 
"Oh."  I stand up and bow at the teacher.  "Class.  Greet your teacher."  We bow and I sit back down.  I hate being class president and school president.  I'd rather be dancing or acting.  That's why I am so fortunate for my friends, Jongdae and Kyungsoo.  I wanted to hand over my position to them but they said they'd rather be the prime ministers while I be the king, the figure head.  
 
I can't concentrate at all.  I keep stealing glances at Baekhyun during math.  He takes the tip of his pencil and places it against his lips and I wish I was that said pencil.  He moves the pencil through his fingers elegantly and again, I wish I was that pencil.  I can't wait to get home when I can be alone with him.  A smirk draws to my lips as I think of things I could do to him.  Then I feel guilty, he seems so pure.  I can't take advantage of him.  Science class now.  I finally retreat from my impure thoughts and lean on my left hand and just stare at the pretty species next to me.
 
 
At the end of science class, the headmaster enters and asks to speak to me just outside the classroom doors.  He tells me that I am to have a meeting after school with my agent and the director and producer of the new drama that I will be filming in a couple weeks.  The director would like to use the school for filming and the production team would like to map out the school before the first day of filming.  I need to reset my schedule so I have time to go to school and film.  I told the headmaster that my student council duties will be covered by Kyungsoo and Jongdae.  L is also filming with me along with Nana, so the class president role will be given to Dongwoo.  The headmaster didn't like that idea because Dongwoo is a bit of a goof ball, so I suggested Baekhyun.  Based on his high test scores he thought it was a perfect idea.  I will need to tell Chanyeol who sits next to Baekhyun and me at the back that he needs to keep an eye out for Baek and help him out.  But he's as goofy as Dongwoo and I know those two dinosaurs will just play in the beat of their own drums, and avoid any responsibility.  
 
I enter the room and a female classmate hands me a small box of chocolates.  This is the fourth one today.  I smile and accept her chocolates and her chair gets kicked by one of Nana's friends.  Girls are mean.  I hand the chocolates to Baekhyun who is smiling at my gesture.  "Open it."  
 
He does and he has 8 different pieces to choose from.  He closes his eyes and hovers his fingers over the box.  I watch as he lowers his fingers to one piece, he picks it up and pops it in his mouth.  Oh to be that piece of chocolate.  His tongue pokes out from time to time as he finishes chewing the piece.  "Masitssoyo?  Careful, not all of them may be delicious."  He hums and smiles, giving me an eye smile that my heart can't take.  I stand up loudly and my chair scratches the floor causing others to look at me, including Baekhyun.  "I need to use the restroom."  The teacher allows me to, and I move quickly, yet cooly out of the classroom.  As soon as I pass all the windows and away from the eyes of my classmates, I run like mad to the restroom.  Once there I stare at my reflection on the mirror.  
 
"What has gotten into you, Kim Jongin?"  I ask out loud.  My thoughts begin to swim.  All these feelings are new, it wasn't this bad with Taemin.  Why is it that this boy gives you one look, one touch, and you are driven insane?  I ask my reflection.  Your heart beat quickens, your mouth gets dry, you anticipate his movements around you, you have thoughts of him and you and blankets and pillows and the shared jacuzzi tub…  Oh gosh, I've really gone mad.  Is this love at first sight?  Perhaps, because my heart was beating loudly the moment he stepped out of the Range Rover.  I just know if I try to contain these new feelings developing strongly inside me and not act on it, I will truly drive myself mad.