Chapter 23

Next Stop, Your Heart

Taeyeon's POV

I have been waiting at the exact spot where uncle Jung wants me to be at. Yes he asked me to call him Uncle Jung. The night is so chilly and I am glad that I am covered from head to toe. A few cars passed by and I am starting to get a little anxious. Did something crop up and uncle Jung can't meet me? I hope not. Seconds later, a black Mercedes appears in front of me and I bend down to meet the person inside the car. "Get on, kid. But bend down when I tell you to do so later." Uncle Jung says and I quickly oblige it.

"The woman isn't back yet, but I am afraid she might just be home without informing us. So it is better to play safe." he says and I can only nod. The car ride isn't long at all since Jessica's house is just a few hundred metres up. "Don't get too nervous, kid. Nothing is going to happen I promise. Tell her the things that you want to say and hopefully the both of you can work it out. She is leaving in a few days time." he pauses and let out a heavy sigh. "She's been calling your name even when she's sleeping."

My heart aches a lot when I heard what he say. "It has been two days since she's injured huh? Is her injury getting better?" I ask, trying to sound normal when I am dead worried inside. I must appear strong in front of him so that he will entrust Jessica to me.

He looks at me from his rear mirror and says, "You'll see it yourself. Now bend down. Use the black cloth to cover yourself."

I move down the seat hastily and cover myself up with the piece of big cloth. My eyes are shut and I have no idea why. I am just nervous. What if I am busted? Will that make Jessica suffer?

"It's me." I hear Uncle Jung speak. "Good evening, sir." another unfamiliar voice greets uncle Jung and then I feel the car move again.

"Kid, get up and wait for my signal. I will tell you to go in when you hear me tap the window. Alright?" he says softly and calmly.

"Yes." I reply shortly.

He shuts off the engine and leaves the car. I am holding my breath as I hear him calling a few men's names. "Minho, Kibum, Jinki, go and check if there's anyone outside. I saw a few drunkards just now. GO!" I hear some faint shuffling of footsteps and follow by a few taps on the window. It is time for me to get into action. I open the car door quietly and move out stealthily. Uncle Jung urges me to slip into the already open door and I obey him.

There's no one in the living room, other than a domestic helper but she just greets me with a light nod when she sees me. It almost scares me. "Don't worry. She doesn't understand Korean. I asked you to dress in all black because my men dress that way. Now go." uncle Jung pats my back and I bow to him before I run upstairs.

"Oppa?" Krystal calls out when I reach the second floor. She is holding a towel and walking towards Jessica's room, I suppose. "Oh my god. You're finally here. Now quick, unnie has been calling for you ever since she wakes up. She doesn't look very well." That gets me worried like hell. I open the door immediately and look at the person lying on the bed. She's whimpering and stirring on the bed, her face looks pale.

"Jessica," I call out and reach for her hand. She pulls her hand away and continues whimpering like a puppy. "Baby, it's me. Look, I am Taeyeon." I say and hold her hand securely. She frowns and opens her eyes slowly. "T-Taengoo?" she searches for me and I guide her hand to my cheek. She turns to the side when she feels something warm on her hand, "Taengoo." She calls out again and tears come streaming down her face. I wipe them away gently and tell myself not to cry even though my eyes are already b with tears.

"It's me. I miss you," I whisper and try to force back my tears. "How are you?" I ask her and she just looks at me. There's something wrong. "Jessica?" Her eyes never leave mine and I am starting to get worried. She isn't responding. "What happened to her, Krystal?" I turn around to look at Krystal who is still holding the towel and looking at us. Her eyes are wet.

"She just misses you too much. I was about to wash her but you came." she replies and walks towards us. "Do you want to do it or-"

"You do it. I will wait outside." I quickly say and go out of the room even though Jessica managed to hold my hand tighter for a second, but she's too weak to grab it tightly for too long.

I am pacing outside the room and I feel my phone vibrating in my pocket. She's back. Go and hide in the room first. QUICK! -Uncle Jung

My heart starts pounding wildly and I feel my head getting giddy. She's back. What am I supposed to do now? What if she finds out? Oh yes, hide in the room first. But Jessica is changing! Argh! I hear some faint voices from the living room and the voice gets louder. Someone is coming up!

I turn the doorknob hastily and shut the door behind my back. My eyes are shut and I can feel my knees trembling. The voice becomes so clear that I am definitely sure she's just on the other side of the door. "Krystal!" I hear the stern voice that sends shiver down my spine. My eyes flutter open when I hear the doorknob turn. "Unlock the door Krystal." She orders and I look at the two sisters in front of me. Krystal looks back at me with equally horrified face and I start searching around the room for a place to hide in. "under the bed oppa!" Krystal whispers loud enough for me to hear and I quickly crawl underneath.

I can only see Krystal's feet approaching the door and then a few more pairs of feet appear. "What took you so long?"

"I was cleaning unnie up. I have to dress her up right? You even brought men in, for god's sake." Krystal replies in a monotonous tone and I clench my fists.

"Watch your tone. Jessica, how are you feeling now?" the woman asks. I can totally feel the indifference in her tone. "We're leaving in three days time and I hope you get better then. Stop lying on your bed, try to walk around, maybe it helps." My blood has definitely reached beyong its boiling point. How could she be so heartless to her daughter? Even though Jessica isn't her biological daughter, she's still a human!

"Are you insane? The doctor told her not to walk around. Unless you want her to be paralysed for the rest of her life." Krystal retorts and I hear a loud smack echo in the room. "Thanks mother."

"This is to teach you not to be so arrogant. I am your mother, I am glad that you still know it. Now take care of her and get ready to leave too in three days time." the woman says and then the door slams shut again. I see Krystal walking towards the door and a 'click' sound is heard. She has locked the door, it means I can go out now.

"Wait." I hear Krystal say when I was about to crawl out. I furrow my eyebrows and just wait underneath the bed quietly for another minute. "Okay you can come out now." she says and helps me out.

The moment I raise my head, I see a huge handprint on her left cheek. "Did she... do this to you?" I ask her and notice that her eyes are red. She was crying and she doesn't want me to see it so she asked me to wait for awhile first before she stopped tearing. She nods and sits on the bed beside Jessica. "I'm sorry." I apologise.

"Why? It isn't your fault oppa." she says and gives me a weak smile.

"Yes it is because of me. If only I didn't meet your sister. If only I didn't approach her. If only we didn't fall in love. You wouldn't be dragged into all these. I am sorry." I say with a heavy heart and then hold my head lowly. I see her on her feet again and she pulls me into a warm embrace. "It isn't your fault oppa. I am glad that unnie finds someone like you."

She pushes me away gently and then looks at Jessica who is looking at us with a light smile. "You belong to her. We know that. Nothing is going to change. If it is meant to be, it will be, right? I believe you and unnie are destined to be together." She says and holds Jessica's hand to put in mine. "I will... listen to my iPod at the corner of the room. I shan't disturb the both of you." she says cheekily and walks to the really corner of the room. I chuckle at her and shake my head.

"Taengoo." Jessica calls out again and I hum as a response. "I miss you." she breathes out as she says.

"I miss you too." I say and plant a soft peck on her dry lips. "You're so beautiful." I say earnestly and look at her.

"Yah... I bet I look like a ghost right now." she chuckles weakly.

"Nah. If so, then you're the most gorgeous ghost." I laugh softly.

Then we fall into a comfortable silence until she calls me again. "Taengoo."

"Hmm?"

"Nothing. I just want to call your name." she says.

"Jessica." I call her.

"Taengoo."

"Sooyeon."

"Taeyeon."

"Hey wait, I just realised our names end with Yeon. Should I give myself an English name so that it will rhyme with yours too?" I ask and really put myself into thinking.

"Erika." she says softly.

"What?" I look at her

"Erika. Jessica. They rhyme." she smiles.

"wow... nice... Alright then." I giggle softly and kiss her hand.

"Taengoo." she calls out again. "I will miss you."

My heart sinks to the bottome when I hear the four words. Three is enough. Four is... too much. It makes me feel as if we will never meet again. "Don't say that. You don't have to miss me. I promise I won't let them take you away." I say firmly.

Wait. How am I going to do it? Why did I make a promise to her like this? What if i failed and left her disappointed for the rest of her life? Would she see me as a liar then? "Thank you taengoo." she whispers and I can only give a rather stiff smile.

"Have you... met the guy before?" I ask her. My chest is feeling heavy at the thought of Jessica marrying to another guy.

"No." she replies flatly. She doesn't want to talk about it. I get it and I just nod. "Have you eaten?" she asks

"Yeah. Have you?" I ask and her hair.

She nods and asks as if to herself,"will we really pull this through?"

"Yes we will. Believe me." I say.

She just smiles and nods. I watch as she closes her eyes for awhile to take a quick rest. I don't really have any idea of what to do at all. Why am I such a failure? "sica?" I call her

She opens her eyes gradually and looks at me.

"How about we run away?" I say and all I get is a blank stare. She must be wondering how. "I will think of something. Get some rest. I will be around you, don't worry. There's no way that I can leave now so I will leave in the morning tomorrow. Sleep now." I kiss her forehead and her hair till she is finally willing to close her eyes.

 

 

Can you help me? -Kid

What? -Uncle Jung

Running away. -Kid

You and Sooyeon? -Uncle Jung

Yes. -Kid

What about Soojung? -Uncle Jung

If Jessica is missing, I doubt the woman will have the cheek to bring Krystal to America -Kid

You're right. It will be a shame to her. Okay -Uncle Jung

You're willing to help? -Kid

Yes. You still have 3 more days. Leave in tomorrow morning and pack up. I will pack for Sooyeon. We must hurry. -Uncle Jung

OK. -Kid

 

I slip my phone back to my pocket and look at the sleeping beauty in front of me. We're going away. To a place where no one can find us.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

TBC