Chapter 20

Next Stop, Your Heart

Taeyeon’s POV

Fortunately, my specially prepared lunch was a success. My girl ended up eating a lot and complaining that she is getting fatter. I just smile and shrug as a reply, she is still perfect even if she becomes chubbier.

Right now, we are lying next to each other on my bed. This is the first time she is lying on my bed, I have this indescribable feeling in my chest. My heart is pounding wildly as we stare into each other’s soul. The corner of her lips is lifted up and her eyes keep wandering around my face, it is making me a little conscience. What if she sees my flaws and decides not to love me anymore? Does love always make people go weak like this? But what does she see actually?

“Yes?” I ask when she uses her fingertip to tap on my nose lightly. I find it a sweet gesture.

“You’re so cute.” She says with a small giggle and traces around my features. From my eyebrow, down my nose, around my lips, across my cheeks and to my chin. It is a little ticklish but I still let her be. She sighs almost inaudibly and my eyebrows crease into a frown.

“What’s wrong?” I ask in concern. She looks at me before snuggling closer to me. I open my arms for her and she lays her head on my chest. I am afraid that she would find out my heart is racing like a maniac when I am near her.

“I was just wondering…” she says and paused. I brush her hair with my fingers and try my best to steady my crazy heartbeat. “What if one day, when we age, we don’t find each other attractive anymore? Will our love change, then?”

All I can do is to picture myself with her, sitting on the rocking chairs, drinking tea and looking at each other as we have no energy to speak for too long. Her long brown hair would have turned grey by then. Wrinkles would form all over my once youthful face. But I am certain that there is one thing that will not change.

“No. Love doesn’t change. It is always there.” I pause. I listen to the soft breathing from her as I in another deep breath, I see her head rise as my chest heaves up. “You don’t see your parents telling you that they’ve stopped loving you, do you? You don’t see yourself saying that you’ve got enough of loving your own parents, do you?”

She keeps quiet for a moment before she pushes herself up. I notice a smile on her face as she gets up. “Sometimes, I wonder if you’re really just a college student. You’re even more mature than most of the people in my school.” I grin as I listen to her. “And that’s what I like best about you.”

“I have to be mature, right? If not, you’d be like taking care of a younger sister instead of a lover.  I don’t really want that.” I admit. To be honest, I am not anywhere near mature. But when I am with her, all my senses come right in place. I become more rational, perhaps it is one of the power of love.

“So… are you telling me that you’re acting mature? That’s not good taengoo. C’mon, call me unnie.” She teases me once again. I roll my eyes and get up too. I lean my back against the bed post and she crawls next to me. “You’re so adorable when you’re angry.” She says and pinches my cheeks. I turn away and she straddles on my thighs. “Don’t be angry?” she pleads cutely.

I look at her and my heart melts when I see her puppy eyes with a small pout on her lips. “You… better not do it again.” I pretend to hiss and tackle her down. She falls to the side and I hover on top of her. She giggles quietly and tries to push me away by my shoulders but to no avail, as gravity is with me.

“Yah, are you trying to victimize me?” she jokes and I grit my teeth as I launch forward. I snap my jaws open and pretend to bite her. She laughs heartily and pushes my face away. “You’re a monster!!”

I laugh along and push myself up to maintain an eye level with her. Her eyes are still smiling and I can’t help but to smile with her. “I love you.” I whisper.

“What?” she whispers back and her cheeky grin is betraying her.

“I said, I… love… you…” I whisper slower this time. She giggles and uses her hand to cover . I wiggle my eyebrows and watch as she continues to chortle.

“Jessica Jung,” I call out. She tries to recompose herself and I can feel her shiver with pleasant anticipation of what I am going to say. “Be my wife next time.”

Then, the room falls into silence and the smile on her face falters. “w-what? W-we can’t get m-married,” she looks at me incredulously and as if I am a nut.

I chuckle and say, “I know we can’t get married here. But we can always do it in other places. Silly.”

“Are you serious?” she asks me as if she has doubts.

I pull a straight face and say firmly, so that she will know that I am being true, “I am hundred percent sure that I want to spend the rest of my life with you. I want to watch you grow old, I want to hold your hand every night before we drift into deep slumber, I want to clean you up when you have no more energy to do these little things, I want to-“

“I will.” She cuts me off with a sheepish smile.

“What?” I ask her as I don’t really get it.

“I said…” she sighs and continues, “I will marry you next time.” She moves up and gives a quick peck on my lips. My lips are burning when they are in contact with hers.

“Can I have one more?” I say without really thinking much. Then I realise how stupid it sounds and I quickly get off her. However, she pulls me back on top of her and snakes her arms around my neck, before she kisses me firmly on the lips.

“You don’t have to ask for it, silly.” She chuckles lightly and ruffles my fringe. I grin at her widely as we sit up together.

“Going home soon?” I ask

“Can we stay for another few more hours? It is still rather early. I don’t want to spend my time alone at home, even though I used to do that every day.” She says and makes a disgusted look.

“But aren’t you parents worried?”

“How old am I taengoo? I am 19. I can have my rights to go anywhere and be home at any time.” She states with a slight annoyance in her voice. I decide not to probe her any further as I might just hit the wrong button.

“Happy first monthsary anyway,” I say with a simper.

 

 

Jessica’s POV

We spent another few more hours in her room watching movies and talking. It took her awhile to persuade me to go home as it was already 9 30PM. Her parents were not back yet but I am absolutely sure that mine are waiting for me at home. I don’t really want to go home.

“Can we meet up tomorrow?” I whine as she sends me to my doorstep

“Tomorrow?” she pauses and rubs her chin as she is probably thinking about her schedule. “Okay! I will pick you up at your school again. What time do you end your lessons at?”

I clap my hands like a little kid and reply her enthusiastically, “3pm!”

“Okay okay. Now go in and have an early night okay? I love you, good night and sweet dreams.” She says with her sweet voice and her therapeutic smile.

I look around and make sure we are not in the range of my parents’ surveillance camera or anyone before I steal another kiss from her. “I love you too. Be careful on the way home. See you tomorrow!” I jog to my gate and when I turn around, she is still there, “text me when you’ve reached home!” I whisper loud enough for her to hear.

She giggles and nods as she waves me in. I close the front door after another goodbye wave. I watch as she turn around to walk home. My heart is already yearning for her even though we have just parted.

“Jessica Jung Soo Yeon,” the voice that makes my spine shiver echoes through the empty room. I turn around with a gulp that could be heard in the quiet room. “Where have you been?”

“I-I-I was at Taeyeon’s h-house, mommy,” I reply with my head lowering down.

“I know. I saw her just now.” She says.

Then why are you asking me this. I thought to myself as I watch her coming closer to me. “C’mon, I have something to tell you.” She gives me a smile that makes my hair stand on the back of my neck.

She sits down on the L-shaped sofa and points to the space in front of her as she asks me to stand there. I notice she is holding a yellow envelope but I don’t dare to question her. “I have found out something about Taeyeon.” She says as she opens up the envelope.

She tosses the photos on to the coffee table and adds on, “and you.” My eyes widen as they are the photos of me and Taeyeon together today, and some are way before that.

I browse through every photo in panic as my mother sits there with a stern face and pours herself a cup of tea.

Photos of us holding hands. Photos of us hugging. Photos of me going to her place and leaving at a much later time. The last few pieces are the one that make my heart leap out of my chest cavity. Photos of us kissing.

“m-mommy, w-we-“ I couldn’t continue because she sends a tight slap across my face.

“Are you trying to disgrace me? Disgrace your family? Disgrace everyone? You’re shameless!” she hollers.

I look at her with my eyes wide in fear as I touch my burning cheek. My lips hurt, I guess I have cut my lips but the pain is nothing as compared to the fear I feel inside myself. “I-I can explain.” I beg as she stares at me with her infamous narrow eyes.

“Then say it. Don’t say that I didn’t give you any chance.” She hisses through her gritted teeth.

“I-I… w-we are just friends.” I say and I understand that it sounds as stupid as it seems. There are pictures as evidence and yet, I choose to make up a plain absurd lie.

“Friends? Do friends kiss each other? Do friends hug each other that way? Jung Soo Yeon, you are treating me as an idiot, aren’t you?” she snarls.

I tremble in fear and flinch when she grabs my wrist. “What else have you two done? Do you know that you’re a disgrace? Do you know that I am disgusted by you? MY OWN DAUGHTER?!” she screams her head off and I can feel tears trickling down my cheeks.

“I am sorry. I-I am s-sor-“ another slap is sent across my still burning cheek and she then pushes me to the ground. My back falls on to the hard ground and it hurts. I don’t even care about my hurting cheek anymore because my back is aching severely. I can’t breathe.

“You’re going to break up with her and I am sending you to America. Like it or not, you’re going to get married with Jonghyun.” She says. I can hardly respond to her as I am trying my best to steady my breathing, I can’t breathe in properly without hurting my chest. “I actually called it off today when his father proposed this to me, but now, I have changed my mind. It is better to see you with a man than to disgrace me, disgrace us. You shameless filthy girl.” She squalls

She kicks me aside as she walks past me. I wonder what I am to her. Am I really her daughter? She is treating me like a trash.

“Unnie!” I hear Krystal but I can’t see her. “Unnie!” she calls out repeatedly but soon, her voice faints to the back of my head and I black out.

*buzz buzz*

Hey baby, I am home now. Are you sleeping soundly yet? I have this premonition when I walk home just now but I guess I am thinking too much, aha :P I miss you already and see you tomorrow. I love you :) -Taengoo

 

 

 

 

TBC