Dropping *03

When A Snowflake Drops

 

Sungmin woke up with a beam and ray of pearly sunshine from his window. The birds were already chirping and the morning sky looked beautiful.  Everything felt lighter for the human, and he knows exactly why.

Last night was the first night a seppen made himself be felt and do wonder in a mere human’s eyes, he might not be able to smile or laugh but he wanted to, it’s the first time in years he felt genuinely happy.

“It was fun…” the man said in a simple sigh.

He looked up at his healing face in the mirror the bruised was now a bit of a yellowish mark, he looked presentable enough, he thought and jumped off the bed towards his small bathroom to wash his face with a lukewarm water, changed to his usual boots and coat and set out towards the snow covered mountain.

Kyuhyun sniggered as he watch the excited steps of the human up towards the mountain, when another seppen appeared behind him.

“He’s going up again?” Donghae asked startling Kyuhyun.

“What the! Why are you here again?!” The latter exclaimed making the former looked at him in annoyance.

“I’m bored, and you seemed to be enjoying yourself…” Donghae said peering to the center of the former’s attraction.  “Do you like the human that much?”

Kyuhyun looked at the other seppen incredulously. “What do you mean by like?”

Wriggling his eye brow Donghae leaned over. “I mean the simple kind of like? What do you think of what I mean… silly Kyu-“

Kyuhyun didn’t answer but he was speculating what Donghae said, he was just innocently making the man happy, it was just like that.

“Kyuhyun, whatever you’re thinking about that human of yours is not allowed.” Donghae sighed pulling the other to a harsh reality. “We cannot attach ourselves to something fleeting…”

“I know that…” the other answered but didn’t meet the Seppen of the spring’s eye.

“Be careful Kyu-“ Donghae whispered and he disappeared to the whisk of cold air.

“I know that…” Kyuhyun answered in a soft whisper, more like telling the words to himself rather than telling it to the other seppen, he pursed his lips and he too disappeared.

 

 

He reappeared just in time for Sungmin to finish his prayer on the cave shrine; the other was deeply concentrated, he sat beside the kneeling Sungmin studying his side features under the big hood of his coat.

He blew a soft whistle and the snowflakes burst out of nowhere to accentuate the milky white cheeks of the human before him.

The cold drops were felt by Sungmin and he opened his eyes and looked at the direction the snow is coming from.

But as usual, no one’s there, just the cold wind and the opening of the cave.

But Kyuhyun on the other hand can see Sungmin, and the close distance was becoming more and more inviting.

“Why can’t you be a seppen like us?” Kyuhyun chuckled gravely, staring at the searching brown orbs.

“Hey are you here?” Sungmin asked reaching out to exactly where Kyuhyun’s face is located; the seppen stopped moving and allowed the hands to inch into him. The warm hand touched his skin and the warmth was felt by Kyuhyun, it was alluring, it was like magic.

Sungmin on the other hand felt a cold mist on the tips of his finger but he can’t see it and it made him frustrated.

Kyuhyun saw the disappointment on the human’s eye and he laughed because it was extremely cute, he twist his finger on the pile of snow below him and again a snow rabbit appeared.

Sungmin jumped in surprise as the fluffy thing hopped to the snow ground, he looked at the magic with wonder in his eyes, he reached out to pet the rabbit and it nipped his finger like it was a real animal.

“Do you want more magic?” Kyuhyun asked and again he twisted palm and caressed the snow covered floor. Little elves made of snow line up and marched to Sungmin’s delight watching it moved step by step.

Kyuhyun looked at the man who rarely smile laughed at the little performance. He was wondering how can a human, after being subjected to suffering can have that beautiful smile.

The two of them are in their own world when scurried footsteps were heard outside the cave and a familiar face peeked on the opening.

“So here you are weirdo?!”

The snow magic disappeared as Sungmin’s expression changed, Sungmin’s tough appearance was erased, the same face he showed these scumbags from the other day had melted, only because he was in his sanctuary, his only sanctuary.

“W-What are you doing here?” the man spoke in a shaky voice as the crowd of townspeople neared to the cave.

“Well we figured you’ll be here, I mean who else still leave trails on this path of the mountains other than a plain lunatic?!”

Sungmin gritted his teeth to calm himself down. “Leave this place! You have no business being here!”

“Oh we have!” One other woman shrieked in laughter. “This place is cursed, look at what it turned you into? So we decided to destroy it!”

Sungmin’s eyes widened in terror he stood up from where he was kneeling, walking cautiously towards the entrance of the cave. “Leave this place alone.” Sungmin repeated. “You have no right to be here…”

“Oh really?” the girl retaliated as he showed Sungmin a flare which can cause explosion. “Do you really think you can stop us.”

“What’s this cave got to do with anything huh? It was out of your way, it was never a nuisance, why do you have to go all the way here just to destroy it?!” the anger in Sungmin’s voice was already evident that the other people just laughed.

“Look at you, you’re usually cool and composed… but now, with just a ing fairy tales you’re all worked up and angry, it makes this place much more pleasurable to destroy.”

The man started to gang up and hold Sungmin who struggled right away.

“Stop it please! I beg you just stop!”

“Shut up will ya!” The other man throw a punch straight to Sungmin’s face making him kneel on the ground.

“Pathetic!” the other man kicked Sungmin’s ribs and Sungmin shrieked in pain.

“Should we destroy this cave with you?!” The girl knocked Sungmin’s head with the flare.

Then everything got quiet.

No chirping of birds, no rushing of leaves, no other noises except their breathing.

Sungmin felt a cold, comforting blanket enveloped him and the trees started to shook violently, branches cluttering, hammering with each other, the wind was so harsh that it billowed, almost toppling the humans surrounding Sungmin.

And then a strong howl of the wind from the distant mountain, a snow storm commenced.

“What the hell!” the other humans shouted.

“Come on let’s get out of here!” the others said but it was too late the blizzard knocked them off the ground rolling over the ragged ends of the mountain.

The girl shrieked once again in fright as she stumbled over and over, together with the remaining humans in their haste to get down from the mountain, throwing curses at Sungmin, saying he’s a witch or something.

Sungmin was oblivious to what had happened, all he knew was he was scared that the cave he called a real home was going to be destroyed, he was shaking beneath Kyuhyun’s hold.

“Sungmin…” Kyuhyun called out to the human who immediately looked up, as if he had heard Kyuhyun. For the first time in years he saw Sungmin’s tears falling from his eyes, and it wrenched something inside him.

Sungmin stared and heaved a sigh of relief when he saw the cave still intact, he scrunched up his brows and held his hands together muttering ‘thank you’ all over again.

Kyuhyun smiled warmly at the action and then unknowingly a shot of pain strike him knocking him on his ground. It was painful, plain agonizing.

He curled up on the ground, enduring the excruciating pain that hit him once more. He felt something cracking and he was sure where it was located.

Before he knew it, a hooded figure loomed over the seppen, he was then grabbed by this figure and, though he didn’t like it they disappeared.

Sungmin snapped in an instant as he felt a prickling sensation at the back of his head, he turned around beside him and saw the snow ruffled a bit. He was sure, the seppen is there, he tried to reach out and grabbed once more but the sensation disappeared. And he knew, he was already alone.

***

“Don’t you think I won’t know this?” A sound boomed the silent chattering of the seppens broke as one of the elder entered the hall with his raised voice; he was followed by a grayish-blue haired seppen who seemed not bothered by the sudden outburst, though he was limping and appears to be hurting.

Heechul then reappeared at the throne walking towards the commotion. “What’s seemed to be the problem, my dear elder.” Heechul spoke with the same hostility to the older seppen.

“Kami Ul… this subordinate of yours should know his rules, do you know that he’s been seeing a human?!”

The room fell quiet, all the eyes of the seppen were staring at Kyuhyun and the elder who are now fuming in anger.

Heechul on the other hand sighed. “I don’t see the problem in doing that…” the leader spoke in a straight tone that made everyone on the same room agree.

“We keep watch on that human, since he pays tribute to us, the villagers had long forgotten us but that human didn’t…” Heechul tried to explain on his superior tone. “Kyuhyun is the seppen I assigned to keep watch on him.”

The elder looked at the God of snow in disbelief and distrust. “I don’t see the point in taking care of only one human, it won’t make a difference.”

Kyuhyun’s eyes passed a glint of fierce blue as he looked up to the elder, the wind howled in a violent manner from the outside, but in an instant he felt the electricity he felt a earlier, it struck his chest violently and he flinched, suppressing a cry of pain.

Heechul’s skeptical eyes caught it and Kyuhyun knew that his leader already knew what happened.

“To top it all he interrupted a human confrontation, we mustn’t get ourselves too involve! We all knew that?!” the elder shouted staring at all the Seppens who seemed to detest the elder’s presence.

“We didn’t forget the rules.” Heechul said plainly. “But we can’t keep a close eye on someone who cared for us, and was being outcaste because of us.”

The elder looked at Kyuhyun who keep his blue eyes in a glint of anger. “You knew what will happen… you knew it all too well…seppen of the storm!” the elder brushed off of Kyuhyun and disappeared in the other second.

The hall remained silent, still staring at Kyuhyun who is focusing on the pain in his chest. Heechul glanced sideways and meet Kyuhyun’s eyes, the joking leader was long gone. The true god is now here.

“Follow me!” Heechul said and walk pass Kyuhyun who bowed slightly and followed as commanded.

They entered a small room where the  ceiling meets the lovely sky, the snowflakes kept twirling as it falls   down at the middle of the room.

“Let me see it.” the stern voice of Heechul sent an inevitable chill from Kyuhyun’s skin.

With the lack of instructions he surely know what he was  implying and he opened his coat hesitantly, the burning is still there but he can manage, he slip the garment and lowered it to reveal his chest.

Heechul slapped him harshly, lips shaking at the extent of the damage he saw, the reddened scars of a crack extend from the middle of the seppen’s chest through his shoulder down to his navel. It was awful even in Kyuhyun’s point of view.

“Do you have any idea what you are doing?! That damage! What the hell Kyu?!” Heechul shouted and the room shook, as if bowing to the god’s anger.

“I wanted to protect him!” the other seppen answered returning his shirt to his shoulders.

“We all wanted to protect him but we can’t interfere! You know that?!” Heechul once again said in a pleading voice. “Do you know what will happen to you?!”

Kyuhyun was unable to meet the other’s eyes. He surely knew what it’s effect but he can’t just leave Sungmin.

He didn’t know what was these feeling he felt and what will be the outcome, all he knew for sure was that Sungmin needed him and somehow he needed the other, he needed to see the smile that was erased all because he believe.

Kyuhyun looked at the god of snow and made up his mind, he knew what to do. It’s too risky but there is only one way to protect Sungmin.

“Your majesty,” Kyuhyun started making the other startled.

With determined eyes he met the speculating gaze of Heechul.

“I want to embody, my human form.”

-to be continued-

A/N: Im sorry for the late and short and incoherent update, I know this isn’t great, I’m really sorry >.<