Marriage

We are Golden

After about a week of hiding in tunnels and caves, Niel and his mother were able to get themselves to the country side. Niel didn’t ask where his mother had gotten the money, and he didn’t push any of it. She just smiled as she took the money out and paid the taxi driver. Even though she had some money, they knew that it wasn’t enough to live alone. They had spent about two weeks going from home to home, and they even stayed in some people’s barns. They didn’t mind, but they knew that they had to settle down soon.

It was about a month after their arrival that a pastor came to them. He was a gentle man, barely thirty. He had made the decision to be with the church when he was a young teenager. He had always felt out of place as he grew up, but he found security in the church.

He knew that not everyone would accept it, or his religion, but that didn’t deter him from just trying to help anyone that needed it. Niel and his mother found comfort in the pastor. They helped around in the church as thanks for his kind gesture, and after a few weeks, sat him down and explained their situation.

Of course, he was shocked, but he just brought them into his embrace. He promised to do what he could for them, and even called a few favors. As expected from Niel and his mother, they said it wasn’t necessary, but he persisted. It came to the point where they just dropped the conversation.

They stayed within the church community and worked hard. It came about a month later that they received word that the church will be holding an unorthodox wedding.

“It will be two men,” the pastor informed them. They nodded, but just kept on with their duties. “I was a little hesitant,” he continued, “But after going over their story, I decided I couldn’t marry them.” Both Niel and his mother paused at his words.

“Why?” Asked Niel. The pastor looked between them and sighed. “Is it because they are men?” At the unusual sharpness, the pastor shook his head. He had never heard Niel become so cold before, so he knew he had to choose his words wisely. There was a spark in his eye that unnerved him to no end.

“No,” he started, “it’s because of legal battles.” Niel tilted his head in confusion, and his mother motioned for the pastor to continue. “It is in line with earthly possessions and money, and I do not feel right marrying two people who are not in love and are only doing it for monetary reasons.” The pastor was unnerved by Niel’s constant gaze, and couldn’t help but to look away.

“That must not be the only reason they are marrying.” The pastor looked up at Niel. “If it was completely for money, then he would have married a woman instead of another man.” The pastor sighed as Niel stared at him.

“I still can’t bring myself to do it.” Before Niel could intervene in retaliation, the pastor continued. “I told them that they could use the church, but to find another pastor to do it. Now leave me with my decision, but I told you this so you would understand when we start moving things around.” The pastor walked away shortly after, leaving Niel and his mother staring after his back.

The month went by fairly quickly. They both had been planting flowers and bushes, not only for the church, but for the wedding that was fast approaching. They saw a young man come to the church two or three times, but only in passing. He would look around and talk with some of the people that took care of the church before leaving. He always left a set of instructions behind for them, and they followed them with fervor.

They smiled as they planted. They liked the flowers and the work they put into the church. They felt like they were useful instead of a burden. Around a week before the wedding was to take place, a pastor that they haven’t seen before and the young man from before walked through the church. Their voices were low, so Niel and his mother could never hear, but their presence felt comfortable. They were always quiet, until the young man threw a fit.

“Why does he have to be so rash?!” He yelled out in frustration. He shook his hair with his hands and bent over as he scrunched his eyes closed. Niel’s mother immediately left, leaving the three together.

“He’s protective over his friend, all will be well,” said the pastor. The man laid a comforting hand on the young man’s head before walking onward.

“But I’m supposed to be protecting them,” the man mumbled. At the moment, Niel’s mother returned with a tall glass of cold water and offered it to the man. “Ah, thank you,” he said before taking a sip. Niel’s mother smiled gently at him before going over to help Niel with the last of the gardening, but not before calling out to the man.

“This too, shall pass.” The man stared after her for only a moment before running after the pastor. Niel looked at his mother in curiosity as she knelt to reach the watering can.

“What does that mean?” She looked at him for a moment before she understood the question. She smiled and looked at the plants.

“You know how it rains, and the sky becomes dark and the wind blows?” Niel nodded. “It gets colder and scarier and sometimes the thunder resonates?” He nodded once more. “Well, even though it seems scary and at times seems like it could last forever, it always ends and the sun always rises from the clouds. It always passes, and like the rain, all obstacles and hardships in life will pass.”

Niel nodded, but didn’t say anything else. He worked in silence alongside his mother as he always did when he was in the church. Even though his face was void, thoughts flashed across his eyes. As the days passed, he watched the priest and the young man walk through the church and fixes things and move statues and flips through paperwork. Niel silently counted down the days.

The day of the wedding finally arrived, and Niel was already up before dawn. He was cleaning the Alter when his mother walked in. He was nervous, but he wasn’t sure why. He wiped down the statues and shined the candle stick holders while his mother just looked on with her arms crossed. She turned and left the church after a while when she realized that neither of them have eaten yet.

“This place is really beautiful.” Niel looked up at the sound of the voice. He was sweeping the walkways, and he was putting everything in the dustpan before they entered. His voice was caught in his throat as he looked upon the young man’s companion.

He was dressed in a simple suit that seemed to flatter him in many ways, while his hair was slicked back. His dark hair brought out his features and his lips even more and his eyes were adorned with light eyeliner.  He kept his eyes locked on him.

“What a way to celebrate your birthday though,” said the other. “Marriage is not what most people want once they turn eighteen.” Niel silently gasped. This was the groom.

They turned, and Niel dashed away. The groom kept looking after the spot where Niel just was, unable to look away.

‘Was someone just there?’ He asked himself. A hand landed on his shoulder and he looked over to his friend again.

“You okay?” He nodded. “Are you sure you want to do this?”