Quickly

We are Golden

 

“What do you mean I can’t have it!?” Ricky brought her fists down as she stared down her father. He was sitting behind his desk with his arms folded and a smug smile on his lips.

“Just that. You can’t have it,” he answered. Ricky narrowed her eyes at her father. He glanced over at Changjo, who just stood beside the door with his arms crossed. His expression was apathetic, but that’s because he was trying to hold his anger.

I was the one who started up the company after you said that it was useless,” Ricky said. Her voice was low and her eyes were fixed onto her father. “I was the one who put my own money into it after you declined my offer. I was the one who decided not to go to University because of this while you just sat there. This is my dream and you want to kill it.” Ricky was breathing heavily from anger. She has been fighting against her father for years. It has never been a physical altercation. They have never laid hands on each other, but their passive aggression was something to back away from.

You are my son. You have lived under my roof and I have provided for youYou have disobeyed me countless times and continue to go against my, and His, rule. You are still under me legally, so you have nothing. Anything you have legally belongs to me.” Her father sat back victoriously before he pulled out a large pack of paper and threw it towards her.

Ricky didn’t even look at the packet before she threw it over at Changjo and flipped over what was left of her father’s desk. All the papers fell and landed on the ground, but since the other fixtures were bolted on, they remained. Ricky’s father just sat without a change in expression, since Ricky and he have been accustomed to throwing and destroying things in anger. They never physically attacked each other, and they hardly cursed.

“I’m going to take it back,” Ricky yelled out before she walked out of the office with Changjo following closely behind. They walked down the hall and out into the stairwell silently with Ricky’s rushed footsteps echoing against the walls. She was walking purposefully, and as she and Changjo exited the stairway, everyone kept away. They have all been witness to her and Changjo’s short tempers, so they did not want to become a victim.

As they passed the entry desk, Juniel opened to speak. She had her hair styled in curls and balloons were splayed across her desk. She had a small cupcake and a few gifts next to her. She rose her hand, and was about to try and get Ricky’s attention, but Ricky merely walked passed her. Changjo threw back a sympathetic glance and a nod of the head as apologies, but he didn’t let up on her.

As they walked down the street, Ricky stayed glued towards the buildings and away from the street. She stopped to wait for the signal to walk and made sure that no one was coming before she walked forward quickly. She knew where she was headed, and she was intent on getting there quickly. At times, Changjo had to jog to catch up with her. She was a runner since they were young. She always took out her anger and frustrations in running. She never ran for track at school, and she avoided the gym like the plague, but she would always find a place to run by herself. Changjo made sure she knew how to protect herself, so he taught her taekwondo when they were alone. Neither of their parents knew, but they like it that way.

They rounded the corner and entered an apartment complex adjacent to the local university. Ricky once again ran up the stairs, Changjo running to keep up, and came to a door on the second floor. She knocked on it violently and incessantly until the person within swung it open.

“What the hell is wrong with you!?” The man yelled out in irritation. Ricky just pushed him aside and made his way inside with Changjo closely behind.

“Fix it, Chunji,” she said. Her gaze was hard and her posture was determined. She was still angry, but calmer. Chunji looked at her with a cocked eye brow before closing his door and making his way towards his couch. He sat before a coffee table filled with paper, books, forms, and a laptop. Once he was seated, Ricky took the packet from Changjo and threw it before him. “Fix it,” she repeated.

Chunji looked down at the packet and then back up at Ricky before looking at Changjo. He let out a sigh before picking up the packet.

“You know I’m only in my third year in school. I am far from a lawyer,” said Chunji. Ricky rolled her eyes in response.

“Then ask your teacher Andy to look it over for us, but I need an answer know.” Ricky simply stood and stared at Chunji as he flipped through the packet. Chunji was always considered as a gifted child since he was always been able to read very quickly. Most found it humanly impossible how quickly he could read, and this is the reason he was already in his third year in university even though he only entered a year and a half ago. He could read the content and test out of courses, primarily writing and history, but he had to attend lecture classes and had to take classes that put theory into practice.

The stack was thick, but they were in silence for only a few minutes before he put it down. He sighed as he laid back on his couch.

“That’s ,” he said. Ricky was about to speak, but Chunji silenced him with a hand in the air. “It seems simpler, yet very intricate. I have an idea of what you will probably have to do, but let me call Andy and ask him.” Ricky nodded and Chunji stood and walked to his room with the intent on speaking with his professor.

Ricky just sat on the floor and waited. Changjo sat across from her on the floor as well as they waited.

“You okay?” Changjo asked. Ricky shook her head. Changjo put his hand on her foot to comfort her. “It’s going to be okay,” he said. Ricky sighed and nodded.

“I know,” she said. “I know I’m taken care of.”