Pancakes

We are Golden

The room was lit a golden yellow as the rays of the sun filtered in through the window. Niel stood and did his morning prayers before going to the bathroom. He looked at his face and noticed how swollen his eyes looked. He tried to sleep that night, but the worry wouldn’t let him. He looked into his drawer and pulled out some BB cream. He usually didn’t wear any makeup, but he didn’t want to look like the living dead. His mother had always taught him, even if your heart is shattered and your arm is broken, don’t let others see. Put a smile on your face, and only those that can see past that smile may remain close.

He smiled into the mirror. No one has ever been able to see past his smile. Even when he was crying inside, or when he was in pain, he was always able to pull off a flawless smile, that is, until he met Changjo.

When Niel had hurt his shoulder during swim practiced, he smiled through it. The coach didn’t notice, and neither did his classmates. His friends didn’t notice either, even though they’ve known each other for years. He has even learned to hide the pain and act as if all was okay. He was able to fool everyone, but Changjo. He had come to pick Niel up after practice. He had acted normally and waved to him. As soon as Niel got into the car, Changjo had spoken.

“What’s wrong?” Niel looked at him with a tilt of the head. “What hurts? You’re not fooling me. Tell me now before I just drive you to the hospital.” Niel sighed and pointed to his shoulder, but didn’t say anything. Changjo nodded before turning a corner. “I’m taking you to my friend’s house. His name is Youngbae. He’s a dancer and physician and gets injured a lot, so I’ll let him check you. Okay?” Niel merely nodded. He looked away and out the window, a smile spreading across his lips. “Why are you smiling?”Niel laughed and shook his head.

“I’m just remembering something my mom used to tell me.” Changjo nodded but didn’t say anything else.

Niel sighed as he fixed his smile once more before getting dressed. He wondered if Changjo will still be able to tell that he was not happy. He walked downstairs wearing a simple black and white plaid shirt over a white undershirt and white skinnies. He stopped when he reached the bottom of the stairs and walked to the kitchen, only to be greeted by the scent of food, pancakes to be precise.

On the table were a stack of about four, and Changjo stood in front of the stove making another. He remembers that it was his friend, who he calls L Joe, which taught them how to make them. He had lived in America for a few years and had brought back different recipes. Niel remembered that L Joe had just come over one day unannounced to hang out. L Joe and Changjo got along immediately, and he taught them to make pancakes so that they can make some whenever he comes over. Needless to say, that day they were covered in flour, a few eggs were on the ground, and honey was in their hair.

This time, everything was clean. Changjo just had some flour on his cheek, but that was it. He peaked some more into the kitchen and noticed that the garbage was gone. Changjo looked up and smiled.

“Help yourself to some pancakes! We’ll be going once we’re done.” Niel nodded before taking a seat and grabbed one that was cooked just until a golden brown color. He grabbed the honey and poured just a little of the golden colored liquid before praying and eating. Changjo joined him a few minutes later and they both ate in silence.

They would steal a few glances at each other, and when they were caught, the just looked away. The air was thick, but Changjo couldn’t help but to look up to Niel. He watched as the light from the early morning sun shone on him with a golden tint. He ate quietly, even in the thick air.

Beep.

Beep.

His phone rang and he picked it up.

“Hello?” He sat in silence as he listened to the other line. “Yeah…alright…we’ll be over in about half an hour…okay…anything else?...Alright…see you then.” Changjo hung up and gathered his plate. He put his dishes in the sink sat back down and waited for Niel to finish.

“Who was it?” Asked Niel.

“Ricky,” answered Changjo. Niel merely nodded, a silent question hanging in the air. “He asked me to pick up a few things on our way over.” Niel merely nodded as he finished up and put his plate in the sink.

He made his way back upstairs and grabbed his gold rosary and put it on right under his shirt before meeting Changjo back downstairs.