Supper

We are Golden

 

“So that’s what led us to get married,” Ricky said with a huff. “We moved in here, but we have twin beds. When someone comes over, we just push them together and put a big comforter on it to make it look like we sleep in the same bed.” Changjo just nodded the whole way through the story, but Ricky was still not done. “This whole place is a charade. We have pictures together when we go out, but we never really touched each other. We’ve only kissed in front of company, but that was like twice and just a peck. If anything, it’s more like we’re roommates.”

Niel just nodded as he took it in. Changjo had been quiet the entire time and just watched, while as Chunji had left to the kitchen to tend to the soup.

“Soup is done!” Yelled out Chunji. Ricky immediately stood and rushed to the kitchen. Niel looked after her then faced Changjo. As Ricky told her story, Niel started to feel uncomfortable. He was going to say something, but Changjo cut him off.

“I’m sorry I didn’t tell you sooner. We were able to take Ricky’s company back after about a year, but we had to stay together for about three years, then when we went to file for divorce; they tried to tell us that I had to take half the company. Ricky said that it was okay, but I refused since it was his, not mine. We’ve been working with Chunji and Andy so that Ricky can take it all back and so that she could change his name to Ricky, since that has been his nickname since we were little. And, I-”

Changjo stopped talking when he felt a hand on his. He looked up to Niel, who had a soft smile on his lips.

“You talk just as much as your friend,” he said. Changjo smiled and held onto Niel’s hand tightly. “So does that mean you’re single now?” Changjo laughed and shook his head, which Niel did not find funny. He punched him in the arm a little too hard for it to be playful before trying to get up and go to the kitchen. Changjo quickly pulled Niel back to him and laughed as he held him tight, making sure that his arms were secured between them.

“Of course I’m not single. I’m going out with you, aren’t I?” Niel smiled and tried to punch him, but failed due to Changjo’s firm grip on him. Changjo laughed at Niel’s struggle and kissed the top of his head. He made a small whine and Changjo just continued to laugh. Niel never tried to act cute, but he would always just act like a child and be adorable without even realizing it.

“Come and eat!” Ricky came rushing into the room with a large smile. She didn’t really mind that they were hugging, and Niel didn’t act embarrassed. She just smiled at them and motioned for them to come. Changjo let Niel go, but held onto his hand tightly as the followed Ricky to the dining nook that they created after they first moved in.

The plates were already set and Chunji was just pouring the soup when they entered. Ricky motioned for them to sit. They sat Changjo, then Ricky to his left, Niel to his right, and Chunji across from him. They quickly grabbed their food, but Niel just sat and prayed first. Ricky stopped and stared at Niel, letting all of her past memories flood through her, but with a sense of comfort. Even when her family fought, they would always treat dinner time with respect. They would never bring their problems to their food.

They ate quietly for a while under an awkward silence. Well, Changjo and Ricky were eating comfortably, but Chunji kept glancing at Niel and Niel had something on his mind.

“What’s wrong?” He asked. Niel looked up abruptly, but he didn’t answer. “Don’t try to fool me,” said Chunji. “I learned how to read uneasiness early on since it would come in handy when I go to court. Now what’s wrong?” Niel opened his mouth, but hesitated.

“Leave Niel alone until after we finish eating,” said Ricky. “It’s rude and impolite to speak of troubles over dinner.” Chunji rolled his eyes. “Why do you think we do everything in the living room? Now be quiet and eat before I make you into an actual Umma.” Chunji sighed and continued to eat. Changjo put his hand on Niel and smiled at him.

“It’s an unspoken rule Ricky has had since he was small. Just eat and be happy, we’ll talk later.” Niel smiled and nodded. They continued eating, mostly in silence, but every now and then one of them would speak up and offer a joke or two. There were chuckles and small laughter, yet the atmosphere calmed. Once they finished eating, Ricky picked up the dishes and Niel offered to help her wash them.

“No, you’re a guest,” she argued.

“But you fed me and I don’t want to leave you alone,” he backfired. Ricky laughed.

“What do you mean you don’t want to leave me alone?” Niel raised his hands in slight defense before twiddling his fingers.

“I don’t like leaving people alone.” There was a hint of sadness in his voice. Ricky relaxed a bit and stood aside.

“Fine, but I wash and you rinse and dry,” she said. Niel nodded.

“It’s fine, I’ll dry,” said Changjo. Ricky rolled her eyes before starting. Chunji looked in between them before shrugging. He went to the refrigerator and took out some juice before sitting at the counter as he watched them. He stared on and observed how Niel and Changjo stood close enough so that their arms would brush against each other with every movement. Their fingers always touched and they had a smile on their faces. Ricky bumped against and touched Niel every now and again, but they seemed completely comfortable. There were splashes and a few stray bubbles, but that was it. Chunji looked on in amusement, but he couldn’t help but to want to mess it up.

“So, what was on your mind?” Asked Chunji. Niel stilled for a moment before taking a deep breath and continuing, although a little more slowly. Changjo shot him a look, but Niel answered almost immediately.

“It’s actually about the accidents.” Ricky looked over at him with confusion.

“What accidents?” Asked Chunji.

“The car crash, burnt down doctor’s office, the church that exploded,” he said in a rush. Ricky dropped the plate back into the sink causing a splash and making her and Niel wet. She stared at him with wide eyes.

“I never told you about those.”