Sunset

We are Golden

 

A rustling sound floated through the air. The leaves swayed gently as the sky darkens. The clouds are laced in gold and the birds were eerily still. The small forest seemed to be even darker than it should be, even if it is sunset, but a golden glow emanates through the trees like a beacon.

All is quiet.

“Where the hell is this?!” A loud voice echoed through the trees. “Where are we going!? Why didn’t I change!? Why are we doing this?!” Niel rolled his eyes before stopping. Chunji tripped, but kept his composure.

“You didn’t have to come, but you did, so I would like it if you didn’t yell so loudly,” said Niel in a quiet and respectful voice. Ricky rolled her eyes before going over towards the edge of the trees with Changjo. There was a large boulder there that seemed very out of place, but she took the opportunity to sit and wait. Changjo sat beside her and handed her a bottle of water he took before they left the house.

“He sure is something, isn’t he?” Changjo laughed at Ricky’s comment.

“Yeah, I guess. He should learn how to quit talking so much, but with a brain like his, it’s no surprise that he speaks so much.” Ricky chuckled as she took a sip before shaking her head.

“I meant Niel.” Changjo rolled his head as he smiled softly. He watched as Niel took out a bottle of water from his bag and handed it over to Chunji before reassuring him that it wasn’t too far. He watched as Niel smiled, despite his annoyance.

“I have some extra clothes where we’re going, so you can change into those if you’re not comfortable,” he reassured. Chunji looked up to him and, despite still being annoyed and irritated, smiled a little. Niel took that as a signal of compliance and started walking forward once more. Changjo and Ricky both jumped off the rock and followed right after with Chunji not too far behind.

The forest had gotten darker, almost completely black in the time that they were sitting there. The only thing keeping them on tract was Niel. It was as if he had the trail memorized.

After a while, a soft golden glow emanated from the distance. They continued to walk in that direction, each person’s curiosity peeking even more so as the came closer.

They arrived at a small cottage house with the porch light on. Niel leaned over and entered a code into the lock and opened the door.  They were surprised at how cozy the small cottage was. It was warm and smelled of sweets. Changjo looked over to Niel curiously.

“So, you have another house?” He asked. He didn’t understand. What does this have to do with the accidents?

Niel took Changjo and Ricky’s hand and lead them to a small room to the right. Ricky gasped as she saw the room lined with wigs, makeup, costumes, and more importantly, pictures. She walked closer to one where Niel was a boy with that woman he thought was in the crash. He went to another one of the weird girl with the mask, and then to the one with the nun and monk. They were all there.

“What is this?” She asked, a little frightened. She didn’t understand. Changjo just stood dumbfounded, and Chunji was left completely speechless. “What is going on? Who is she? Who are you!?” She was becoming frantic in her confusion. Niel merely nodded in understanding before heading to the door on the other side of the room.

Beep.

Beep.

They stood in silence as they heard the beeping. Slowly, Changjo was the first to go in, hopeful about Niel. Ricky soon followed as well as Chunji. They gasped and watched in confusion and disbelief as they saw a woman with dark black hair laying in a bed with tubed in her face and a machine to her wrist.

They recognized her as the woman in those pictures.

“Who is she?” Asked Chunji. Niel sat in silence as he held her hand.

“She’s my mother,” he answered. They stood in silence before they came closer. Ricky was the first to speak.

“She’s beautiful.”