Chapter 8 -Truth-

The Case of Bloodless Girl

 

 

 

Sehun stared at the man standing before his eyes. He finally had the man he was looking for before his eyes, but the truth was something he did not expect.

"You did well to follow me here. I must give praise to your superior detective's skills. They truly are as good as the rumors say." Heo gave a devilish grin at Sehun who was glaring back fiercely. There was nothing left of the playful and scaredy cat personality Heo was when the detective met him for the first time in the process of saving him from the homicide unit's guys bullying. The person before Sehun was someone completely different, a complete foreigner. It was hard to believe someone like Heo would be the one he was after when Sehun had been close to him the whole time. That only proved the detective how intelligent the other was. No one in the department had suspected  Heo's flawless acting until now -  Now he was finally revealing his true colors of cold blooded killer.

"Heo, why?" Sehun felt sorrow and heavy in his heart because he found it hard to accept Heo's betrayal. On the other hand Heo remained unaffected and somehow he even seemed to enjoy the situation. Now that he no longer had put up an act.

"Ever wondered why someone so unexperienced got to lead such an important case when there were others more capable to handle it?" Heo asked rhetorically, "because it was my doing. I made it so that the case was moved to you." Sehun stared at Heo eyes wide from shock. Heo had manipulated him ever since the beginning; starting from the case being moved to him. At the time it was believed Sehun got the case because he was seen as the most suitable - That he would bring new insight to the investigations.

"I needed Sambyul to erase any evidence that could connect back to us, but he messed up with the cover up. You were the second best option for me as the main investigator of the case. I could take advantage of our "friendship" to manipulate and follow your moves from up close. That was until you brought me Yoon-Ah's diary. It's existance was a hindarance; because of it you were making progress. You were becoming a nuinsance."

"Simply put. Your asset had turned into a threat, which needed to be removed. One way or another you had to get me off the case and the club incident was the perfect push you required to put your plan into action." Heo chuckled agreeing with the detective. It was after that incident that Sambyul took over again with some help. They thought that now that Sehun was out of the way and Sambyul was back in charge they could discard the remaining evidence. But as far Heo had gotten to know Sehun he wanted Sambyul to keep an eye on the young detective just in case. After all he was close friends with doctor Han from the C.S.I unit. Heo was right to assume the detective wouldn't give up so easily. Their encounter in the market made it clear.

"I have to congratule you, I never expected you to leak the information to the police and the media. Throught this you proved out to be an interesting individual." Apparently Heo was unaware of the people Sehun was co-operating with so he assumed it was the detective's idea to send out the hints. "Speaking of which I'm interested to know how you found out it was me."

"Only someone with detailed information of the case and the access to the closed files could copy the murder so exactly. And as far as I know Sambyul isn't smart enough to hack but you......you on the other hand were an IT specialist. You had the skill and plenty of opportunities you needed to get into the system."

"Sharp as always, but you have to admit that even you were fooled by my performance. Isn't that right detective Oh Sehun, or should I refer to you as a former friend? It's funny how that one silly little word can make one to trust so blindly." Those hateful words left Lucius's mouth not Heo's that's what Sehun wished to belive but the truth was cruel - Heo and Lucius where the one and the same person. After all this time he believed they were friends when in reality he knew nothing of the other's second nature.

"It's over now. I won't let you continue preying on innocent people." Sehun aimed at Heo not letting him take another step towards the doorway.

"Hmm........No, i don't think so." Heo shook his head. Then he raised his index finger to his lips, and made a ponderous look. "I'm sorry to disappoint you but I'm still one step ahead of you detective. Why do you think I wanted to draw you to a more secluded place?"

That's when Sehun heard another pair of steps and a gun's safety lock removed. That particular gun was now pointing the back his head. A devious smile crept on Heo's face when the detective realized he was between to fires. Before him he had Heo and behind him the person holding the gun was none other than elder officer Sambyul.

"Hello Sehun," Sehun could imagine the older's complacent smirk written all over his face when he had the detective cornered. "One should never jump too fast into conclusions because that could lead into dire mistakes, isn't that right detective Sehun?" he scoffed trying to agitate the younger.

"The person in the black rain coat, I know it was you I chased back in then. It was no wonder our suspect ran because he recognized his pursuers." Back then Sehun didn't know of Sambyul's part in all of this but as the investigations made progress the elder officer's involvement became evident. After that it wasn't hard to figure out who it was he was pursuing.

"What will you do now? Can you shoot someone you once knew and called your friend? So.....Is it me or you, which one is it?" Heo challenged once more, observing the detective's struggling expressions shift. The gun was still pointed at him but there was obviously hesitation in Sehun's eyes. Their past friendship was still fresh in his memories. Heo smiled devilishly, the detective was acting just the way he'd expected. Soon enough Sehun lowered his gun and threw it to the rubble out of his reach. He had surrended to the mercy of the two, waiting what would come next. Sambyul wasn't done with his harassing yet but Heo gestured the officer to back off a little so that he could have a proper talk with the detective without unnecessary interruptions. It wasn't often that he met an opponent worth his while like this. The killer and detective stood there face-to-face. Sehun's expressions remained calm and composed despite the fact his future looked dark. Heo chuckled amused and came closer to his opponent to have one last look at the man.

"It is such a waste to throw away something so fine." Heo studied Sehun's features. He was a fine young man with sharp tongue and intelligence. With his qualities he could make it far in his career.

"I'm sorry it had to come to this but you can only blame yourself for not knowing when to quit. You couldn't give up the case even when I hinted you to back off. Personally, I have no grudge against you but you know too much and my clients don't like that. Which is why this is our goodbye, detective." He turned his back and flicked his hand nonchalantly as a farewell. The detective attempted to go after the other but was stopped in his tracks when Sambyul grabbed his arm while pressing the cold metal harder into the warm skin of Sehun's neck. It was a nasty reminder of his tight situation.

"You can't finish me off yourself so you're running away?" Heo stopped at those accusing words and returned to face the determined detective. Being called practically a coward was something he didn't tolerate even if it was coming from a dying man. He took a few pondering steps and made theatrically large gestures. "Running away?" he wondered, and after a brief moment of silence he blurted a simple "no".

"I just don't want to take away the pleasure of killing you from someone who has been anticipating it more than me. Now, if you don't mind, which I doubt you will. I will leave you two continue your little discussion because I believe you have much to talk about. And Sehun you're probably already dying to hear what he has to say." With this Heo left Sambyul to deal with the detective any way he saw fit. For it didn't matter how it was done as long as the ending result was the same - Detective Oh Sehun must die.

Sehun watched as Lucius slipped through his fingers - His hard efforts were all going to waste. All he could do was to observe helplessly how the man disappeared behind the corner. When the other was gone Sambyul took over the situation and made the detective kneel down.

"What next? You want me to your shoes clean?" Sehun commented sarcasticly and received a hard slap on the face for it. But even after being hit Sehun's eyes kept glaring intensively. He didn't seem to suffer in any way despite the fact he was stripped of his position as a detective and Sambyul had taken his place. He still had those defying eyes that scorched the elder's soul each time they looked at him - It annoyed the hell out of him. Sambyul grabbed the younger's chin and dragged his face up, digging the gun barrel to Sehun's cheek.

"Oh, you wish it would have been as simple as that after I'm done with you. I'm going to make you go through hell and when you're begging to be killed only then will I finish you off." Sambyul smacked the boy with the hard metal of the gun leaving a nasty red mark on the younger's face. There was blood dripping from his mouth due cut in his mouth caused by the teeth clashing to his cheek. Sehun coughed a little while spitting away the blood flooding in to his mouth. He gazed up sharply a wide dark grin on his face.

"Just try me," he defied the man who basicly held his life in his hands. The final words removed the last of Sambyul's limiters holding back his strenght. He kicked the boy with full force to the side sending Sehun crawling on the concrete floor, caughing more. Sehun didn't have the luxury to steady his breath when another strike sunk in - This time to the other side. Those were going to leave nasty bruises, which healing would take days. This was like the beating he got back at the club except this time the strikes were more brutal. The pattern of the strikes wasn't calculated, but impulsive, an outburst of Sambyul's built up hatred towards the other. If the detective was indeed alive after Sambyul was done it was going to be a miracle in itself.

Before Sehun could even realize he was going to get hit again, Sambyul kicked the latter to the ground and placed his foot on Sehun's ribcase stepping on it with crushing force. Immediadly Sehun's face contorted with agony at the brutal contact, as the sharp pain from his ribs spread around his beaten up body. Sehun's ribs had only recently healed and Sambyul was fully aware of it. It was the perfect way to make the other suffer slow and tremendous pain before he would finish what he had started, getting rid of that young prick.

"You can only imagine how much I enjoyed seeing you suffer." Sambyul loved the feeling of superiority and how the other was squirming under his feet in obvious pains. But even being so, much to Sambyul's disappointment Sehun had not even uttered a word asking for mercy. He would have preferred more time making the other suffer but everything had to come to an end. He pointed his gun once again towards Sehun this time with an intent to kill - It was written all over his face. An expression of those who loved to have control over life and death showed such emotion when about end one's misery. The godlike power to choose what to do with one's life.

"Goodbye detective Oh Sehun."

A single gunshot echoed in the vast space of the abandoned building. Sehun's whole body stopped at the sound. His eyes widened as he looked up at the man who was to kill him. It felt like the whole world around him slowed down and all the noises just vanished to the deathly silence that followed the firing. There were no thoughts anymore. Only an empty mind. It was like observing the world from third person when Sambyul's lifeless body slumped next to the frozen detective, painting the floor with crimson red. His eyes stared blankly fixated on Sehun, the last person those eyes ever saw before the final sparks of life faded. The man who had spent his life chasing criminals had shifted to the darkside himself. He died not fighting for justice as he should have, but being shot by his own, the people he once treated as friends. Superior Sangwoo had not hesitated to pull the trigger when he saw the young detective in the inch of his life about to be ruthlessly executed. After him Han and the rest of the officers flooded to the scene to find Sehun struggling to breath and Sangwoo supporting the lad covered in blood. Paramedics were rushed to the scene to take care of the young while the rest of the team searched for the other suspect.

 

<<<~~~~>>>

 

The homicide unit head approached the young male sitting inside the ambulance talking with Han. When the doctor noticed Sangwoo he got off the car and discussed with the man about Sehun's condition. He would survive despite being pretty beaten up. The paramedics gave pain relief for the time being but he should go to the hospital for a check up just to be sure there was no internal damage. The unit head nodded and walked to the brunet to have a proper talk now that there was no longer immediate danger.

"How are you feeling because it was quite a beating you took back there."

"Hammered, bruised, tired otherwise I guess I'm fine." Sehun looked at his superior interested if they found anything but Sangwoo shook his head. Unfortunately, Lucius had had plenty of time to run and tracking him in these circumstances wasn't easy. They did send out teams but so far no success. Althought it was an all out search with the aid of helicopters, it seemed like Lucius had managed to escape from their net.

"The tracker you put on yourself was a smart move. Without it we would have never found you in time." Sehun was glad the tracker had worked because otherwise he really might have ended up dead. Originally he had planned to place it on the leaker, but then his plans got a sudden turn because of Heo. Sehun was aware Sangwoo would follow the tracker's signal so he had stalled Heo as long as he could but the man had left before the others arrived.

Sangwoo sat down in the ambulance next to Sehun and gave a pat on the shoulder. The young detective had done well. There was no need for him to exert himself anymore. The other teams would take over from here and handle the rest. Sehun had already managed to solve the case others thought was impossible, which was more than enough reason to deserve a good rest.

"When I saw Sambyul aiming at you, I realized the man I used to know was no longer there." Sangwoo began to explain Sambyul's story because he thought the boy deserved to know that the man wasn't like that always. In reality he was very similar to Sehun how he was now.

"I was his supervisor in the past. And in a way you reminded me of him how he was back then. He was always very enthusiastic and ambitious about his work but when he learned he did not have what it took to become a detective he changed. In the years he grew bitter and jealous of the people around him that were promoted when he remained the same." Sangwoo had saddness in his eyes when he told the story behind Sambyul's bitterness. He had known the man on a personal level and could once call the other his friend. They worked closely together in the past but when Sangwoo was promoted to the unit head Sambyul became distant.

"I guess it was a fool's hope to believe Sambyul would change back to the way he was after enough time had passed." The elder sighed, turning back to Sehun. He felt like he was responsible for Sambyul's acts because despite his doubts he did nothing to stop the man. He owed the younger a great deal for revealing his former friend's twisted ways he himself failed to see. "I'm sorry for everything Sambyul has caused and if there's anything I can do to make it up to you. Don't hesitate to ask." He patted the younger's shoulder fondly, grateful at the same time he could finally find peace.

"The mess regarding the club incident will be forgotten and your name will be cleared from the accusations. And you know.....if you still want to work as a detective you're welcome to join us. It would be great to have you back in the unit." Sangwoo proposed but Sehun shook his head refusing the kind offer. He needed time to settle his thoughts and digest everything that happened in the past weeks. This case had changed him a lot. The person when he first began investigating the incident no longer existed. Even with everything he had learned there were still things that needed answers he had yet to have.

"I appreciate your offer but I must decline. There are just too many things that require my attention. Maybe in the future I might consider again returning to service if you'll still have me." The elder chuckled and simply nod at the younger's reply. He would be a fool not to accept such a talented detective back in the police.

"Of course, whenever you feel like you wish to return. But now that we're on the subject: Does Han know about your decision to leave?"

"Ah, I talked this with him earlier. He told I should follow the path I believe in if I felt there was something else I was meant to do. That I should just go for it."

Those words were to be expected from a man like Han who had experienced more than normally people did during their life. Althought Han supported Sehun whatever his decicion was, Sangwoo knew the elder thought the same way as he did about the boy. This kid was smart so it was shame to lose a promising lad from their unit, but Sangwoo was aware there was no way to make Sehun change his mind. All they could really do was to offer him a place where to return.

"I'm sure you will," Sangwoo smiled widely and ruffled the younger's hair until it looked like a raven's nest. "Because you're the most stubborn young detective out there. Whatever you choose to do, you'll be just fine."

The two fell silent afterwards. Sehun was looking at his feet thinking this was his reality. Because of everything he had learned in the past weeks he no longer felt like he belonged in this unit. He was now a very different man than at the beginning of the case. Now he was going  to choose his own path to walk on, away from everything he knew, a very different path from those he thought he would have chosen in the past.

"Thanks for everything." Sehun suddenly told. Sangwoo leaned back exhausted and sighed peacefully. This time it was finally over.

"Anytime kid, anytime..."

 

<<<~~~~>>>

 

Sehun had been discharged from the hospital today. Yesterday the doctors had insisted him to stay under observasion for the night just in case some symptoms would appear later on. The next day he was free to go because no issues occured. As soon as he got out he went back to his apartment to see if it was in still in the same state of chaos when he visited it the last time. The first thing he wanted to do once back was to take a warm shower in private. Oh, sweet privacy. While he had been in the hospital he had felt constant eyes following him. It was the nurses most likely. They were more than happy to have a handsome young patient for them to take care of. Not a moment had gone by that one of them wouldn't be trying to strike up a conversation. Gradually, the idea of staying in the hospital didn't seem like such good idea after all.

Sighing he thought if he had to break into his apartment since his keys had gone missing in the midst of everything that happened. He walked few blocks away from his house down the street, noticing a black van driving past him. Maybe he was imagining it but he had a bad hunch about it. Maybe he was already becoming paranoid considering everything he had gone through the past weeks. Much to his displeasure his hunch was right. He was outside his apartment when he saw a familiar dark haired man sitting on the stairs. Sehun couldn't help but snarl at the sight. The person he wanted to see the least was there and the feeling was probably the same on both sides.

"I thought the deal would last only until the case was solved, Kai." Sehun especially added weight to the ending of his sentence. The man snorted, stood up and made his way down to the detective standing on the pavement.

"It did, but now it's time for you to fill your part of the deal."

Sehun frowned while tilting his head slightly wondering what it could be when Kai suddenly closed the distance and dragged Sehun with him to the black van that appeared out of nowhere.

"What the hell is going on!" Sehun struggled to wriggle his way out of Kai's grasp, which seemed to only tighten the more he tried to fight back. The next thing he felt was a sharp object touch the back of his neck. "Relax" another voice told, a soft voice Sehun couldn't recognize. It didn't take long for Sehun's vision to start blurring and his consciousness start fading  until he completely fell into the darkness.

The young male woke up handcuffed to a chair in a dark room with stuffy air. The drugs were slowly wearing off but the aftereffects were making Sehun feel dizzy and messed up. The bright lamp scorching above his head wasn't easing his aching head at all. For how long he had been unconscious he couldn't tell but long enough to be brought to god knows where. Despite his disorganised mental state he eyed his surroundings trying to define something out of the blurry mess around him.  This was a concrete room with nothing but him and and the chair placed in the middle. Without doubt this was some sort of interrogation room he was in and escaping didn't really look like a possible option. With everything Sehun had experienced it felt like a cliche already to wake up alone in a room to find himself captured. That thought was left short when he heard a door unlocking and someone entering the room. Suddenly he felt a similar sharp sting like earlier in his neck as someone injected something into him. When the drug started circulating he felt like dying. His heart beat rose, muscles cramped and his vision flickered wildly. That state lasted for a while before his reactions were starting to calm down. When Sehun looked like he could actually provide a sane answer the other began talking.

"It's an antidote to the drug from earlier, you'll feel better in a while. I'm sorry for the rough treatment, but we have to take certain precautions to keep our existance hidden."

The firm voice definitely belonged to a man but something in the way he spoke drew Sehun's attention. Was the man foreigner? The shady figure made his presence known without  revealing himself. Somehow Sehun was able to define distinct outlines of another person standing in the shadows. He was a normal sized male thought taller than average Korean man.

"Are you the people who  I have been cooperating with..?" Sehun managed from his drug haze receiving a simple "yes" as a reply. After all this time he was finally talking with someone who could provide him the answers he desired.

"We have been following you for quite some time already. We wanted to see what you were truly made of. It was then we decided to give you a test to see how well you could work in conditions set by us. And I was right. You have proved us that you're capable of working in difficult situations even when facing an unknown enemy."

"This was all a test?" Sehun chuckled slightly sounding like he was going insane. "Is this some sick game you like to play....? I was ing about to get killed several times because of you...It would be only fair to hear an explanation for the I had to endure...." Sehun mumbled while trying to focus his gaze at the distant shadow, which was becoming clearer each minute. When the antidote took effect the room wasn't as dark as he first thought it was. Now he saw properly a man with raven black hair, probably around his mid-twenties, wearing a black suit. He had a powerful presence surrounding him, which reflected in his form. Judging by his looks he was Asian but his speech had a foreign accent.

"We have a proposal for you but I want you to listen before you decide because this won't be a simple matter and you will come to understand that as well." Sehun tried reading the other's expressions but even with his experience he couldn't read him at all. The man could completely hide his intentions.

"Just who are you people....." Sehun asked voice all groggy. This was the second time he got a proposal from these people. The last time he accepted their offer he had to go through all sort of stuff. They didn't tell anything and had hidden motives regarding Sehun's purpose. It was only natural he stared the man suspecting there was something more to this deal.

"I can tell you're already analyzing my words; your expression shows all. I can assure you there is no hidden agenda this time and there are no more tests. I'm going to explain to you what this has been all about. The truth." Sehun frowned at the word truth, just what exactly was this truth the man was talking about.

These people were known as EXO. The organization was found in order to answer the ever growing unstability among the Asian society. Abuse of power and authority has corrupted many men beyond the reach of law. Their goal was to influence the society from the shadows while keeping themselves hidden in the dark. Their missions varied from escorting, infiltrating and guarding to assassinations but their main focus was to deal with difficult cases that required special approach. Cases that cannot be solved otherwise than walking on the edges of law.

This was something Sehun already expected to hear but what he didn't expect was the continuation. He stared into the darkness where he saw a glimpse of blue appear briefly. It was the similar kind of blue shimmer Kai had in his eyes when his instincts surfaced. Even if Kai never said anything about his origins, by now it was rather clear what he was. And without mistake this man, he was the same as Kai.

"How much do you now about the existance of their kind, the existance of vampires? I can tell from your reaction you have seen such eyes before." The figure drew closer but remained under the cover of darkness.

"You mean someone like Kai? No, I haven't met any of your kind before. He was the first." Sehun replied to the question on instinct. Besides even if he had encountered other vampires before how could he have been able to recognize them since they looked exactly like any other human.

"Yes. Among us there are many vampires hiding themselves within our society. Some of them wish to live in peace when others want to cause chaos and destruction. Whenever a vampire shows up we are sent to investigate. One of our jobs is to preserve the balance between humans and vampires, which is why many of the cases EXO investigates are related to vampires and their shady activities."

The words stuck in Sehun's thoughts. He was surprised why he didn't find this conversation insane at all. On the contorary he believed every word. Like it was completely normal to hear people talking about chasing after vampires, fictional story book characters created by imagination. No, he had seen more than enough proof of their existance to believe they were actually very real.

"What does this have anything to do with me then?" the detective frowned uncertain what to think of the revelation. Even with all this explanation he still didn't know his purpose. How was he related to all of this? "How am I connected to all of this?" When Sehun finally asked that it was like the other had been waiting for that particular question to arise.

"I have to say you were lucky it was us who found you first. If it had been another vampire, you might have been dead by now. The scent is faint but your blood draws vampires like a magnet. If they found out about your existance they would do anything to have a taste of your blood because it's special."

"Wait a minute, special? What do you mean?" Sehun couldn't understand a word the man was talking about. Kai had not talked about anything like that when he told about the blood business. There was no talk about special bloods, which drew vampires like magnets. A brief silence took over the room, possibly the other was pondering something before he continued.

"It seems you don't even know your own origins." The figure in the dark bluntly stated. It seemed like an explanation starting from the basics was necessary in the detective's case. He couldn't really blame the young for his unawareness because he had no family left to tell him the story. The boy had been alone ever since his parents died when he was small.

"You belong to a small minority of people that belongs to a particular bloodline, that still carry that certain DNA. The blood of a hunter. You are one of the few descendants left. Your parents must have had hunter ancestors and inherited their genes. Your intuition and keen instinct to sense other presences comes from the family line of hunters. Even if you are only a half-blood, it is enough provide you a natural resistance against vampire abilities."

The hunter gene was apparently a special recessive gene among humans and gradually in time that bloodline was becoming thinner. That blood was a blessing and a curse at the same time. One was able to defend himself from vampires but he would always be targeted by them. In a sense the opposites were drawn to each other. By drinking the blood of a hunter vampires could become more powerful and power was everything in the vampire society.

The new information was starting to sink in. It occured to Sehun that he could no longer live the life he once had. He realized how this matter simply didn't affect only him but everyone around him. Whatever he decided affected others as well. If he wanted to return to his previous life his friends would be in evident danger because of what he was. Sooner or later someone would come to suffer. The black hair noticed the detective was begining to understand his situation so it was time he revealed his proposal.

"The agents in our organization are scouted from all walks of life and brough for training to one of the main operational centers located in China and Korea. Within our ranks there are special teams, which members are chosen for their intelligence and unique abilities. All these members have been handpicked for the sole purpose of creating the most efficient task force. You passed the test to be qualified as one of the members, which is why I'm here offering you a place in one of the teams."

Sehun was told about the terms what it meant to join. Basicly your existance will be completely erased. The person called Oh Sehun will cease exist. This was a normal safety protocol to  protect the agents. After that they were given a new identity and a codename how other agents could indentify you.

"So this is where you were aiming the whole time......" Everything the detective had gone throught the past weeks lead to this moment where he chose how he was going to live the rest of his life. This was actually a choice between how he wanted to survive. Either he worked for  EXO or spent the life of a runaway, hiding from vampires. Whatever he chose didn't change the ending. Either way he had to disappear in order to protect those he held dear.

The black hair stood there silently waiting for the other to reply. The expression he wore already told he knew what the detective was going to answer but he still had to get the confirmation from the man itself. Eventually Sehun's eyes showed he had arrived to a conclusion and gave his reply with a voice filled with determination. The boy had accepted the reality rather fast considering it that he learned some of the things just a while ago. This only convinced the black hair even more how right he was when choosing this man for the task.

"I will join your team."

Welcome to EXO, detective Oh Sehun.

 


A/N:

WIAN13: It's kind of funny because I had this chapter pretty much finished way before chapter 7. Oh, well it worked out just fine in the end. From here on the story is going to get many more characters to follow other than Sehun. Yes, the rest of the EXO members are starting to make their apperiance.

So Sehun finally joined EXO and learned about the people he was working with and his origins. Quite a bit info to digest with a short warning. Well, at some point he would have learned about the truth about himself so maybe running into EXO wasn't so bad thing.