Bonus Chapter -Descendant-

The Case of Bloodless Girl

 

BONUS CHAPTER

- DESCENDANT -

 

It was in the middle of the night, raining cats and dogs, when the drenching wet agent finally  returned to the base where he was welcomed by a brunet man slightly older than him. He wore a grim expression and his eyes basicly shot daggers at the agent who nonchalantly ignored the man. Suho was the team leader and held responsible for leading the operation they were currently involved, however, his team on the other hand didn't seem to take him seriously. They acted recklessly without his permission and caused problems every now and then. Such as now.....

"KAI! Don't you dare turn your back to me! You went all James Bond without permission and caused us unnecessary worry! KAI! Are you listening to me!" Despite Suho's efforts to keep the black horse of the team under control, the objective was harder to achieve than imagined. The leader trailed after the other and grabbed his arm to make the man stop his stride. Agitated over the fuzzing elder, Kai shoved the intruding hand away. Suho was making too much of a scene from such a minor issue. If the ending result was the same, who cared how they got the information.

"You need to follow our rules! We can't have agents running around recklessly on the streets! We are a team, we work together! This is what our organization is about, this is what EXO-K is about. We are a team created to take on the hardest cases together that one person alone cannot handle." Kai rolled his eyes and sighed frustrated when the persistant man kept following him even thought he was clearly tired after going throught one hell of a night. Not to mention that annoying human detective he ran into in the midst of his mission.

"I don't need you to lecture me! I successfully made it back, and got what we needed! Besides what I did is something called improvising." Kai grinned and turned, attempting to leave, however, Suho wasn't finished with his speech yet.

"What? It's not as simple as that! Do you have any idea what kind of situation was going on here when we lost contact to you in the club. We already considered the worst case scenario." Suho blocked the agent's path not letting him go until they had finished their discussion properly. The leader wanted Kai to understand this was a serious matter and not some game as he liked to consider it as. There was actually lives at stake in what they were doing.

"Suho, you're too painstaking right now." Kai glared at the team leader his eyes slowly shifting to the color of blue. Suho backed up slightly at the sight but stood steadfast before the other.

"You know, I have had a ty day today and when I return I get to hear this crappy lecture about how we work together as one." Kai continued approaching the leader, his now clear blue eyes shining, fixated on the man stading in his way. Althought Suho knew his opponent was a vampire and way out of his league, he stood up against Kai. The young had to learn he couldn't always act however he liked. Actions had consequences and he had to take responsibility for them. This incident had fortunately ended in their favor but the next time they may not be as lucky.

"Kai, you can't act this way even if you are one of our top agents. That doesn't give you the priviledge to do as you wish. I'm telling you. It's for the sake of everyone and especially you to stop this kind of act. I don't want you to end up dead when I know I could have done something to prevent it. Believe me, no matter how powerful you are, you can't do everything on your own. You have your limits as well. Have more faith in us. I'm not asking you to be friends with everybody but at least trust my ability to lead this team."

"Tsch, what do you know about trust - Probably as much as being a vampire." the agent scoffed harshly. He was in no mood to talk about his personal life nor stay any longer listening to Suho's jabbering about team effort.

"Now if you're done. Step. Aside." Kai snarled, baring his teeth briefly to the other. But when Suho showed he had no intention to comply to his demand the agent had had enough. He repeated his order this time adding weight to his words so that they seemed to reach the elder's subconscious mind. If necessary Kai would force the other to move.

"Step aside"  was all Suho could hear and he acted on it before he even realized what the agent had just done or what he was still doing to him until a voice broke Kai's concentration.

"That is enough." A firm voice sounded from the other side of the corridor. The two halted instantly to find a pair of sharp eyes observing them. The man made his way to the scene keeping a close eye especially on Kai, who was sure to notice this. The agent backed away from Suho immediately, directing his gaze to the floor. The blueness that was previously there faded from his eyes and the young even showed some level of remorse over his actions. The reason for their sudden change was the person before them who was none other than the EXO leader, Jaejoong. Nothing got past his eyes that seemed to be piercing the young vampire male. It was his business to know everything going on inside and outside the organization. If an issue rose it was his job to step in if things got out of hand such as the reckless actions of his agents being one of them.

"I have said this before. You will NEVER use your vampire abilities against another of our agents. Let alone your team leader. Have I made myself clear, Kim Jongin?" The EXO leader emitted a powerful presence that took over the corridor. Normally they used their agent names but Jaejoong used instead the young vampire's real name to make his point even stronger. He wanted to clarify he didn't tolerate any fighting within the organization. The agent knew better than this not to defy that particular man. Uncertain, he fidgeted then nodded his head begrudgingly. Jaejoong kept glaring the whole time intensively until Suho stepped in breaking the contact.

"I apologize for Kai's childish behavior. Please, don't blame him. It is I who should become a better team leader." Suho felt responsible for not being able to control his team. Even if he had been EXO-K's leader officially only for a while he had already adapted into his role and looked after his team with great care.

Jaejoong sighed, shaking his head. Suho's dedication for the team was admirable but that didn't solve the issue. Kai still broke his orders, defied his leader's authority and acted recklessly. The EXO leader watched Suho who was standing firmly behind his words. The team leader believed in what he was doing and showed qualities of fair leadership. That was the very reason Suho was chosen to lead the special team. But like with every new leader, he had yet to be recognized by his teammates as their true leader. Jaejoong sighed again. These people were still young and had a lot to learn about teamwork. Suho was doing his best to lead such a bunch of wild cases and he could tell it wasn't an easy job.

"You should thank your team leader for going to such lenghts for you. Because of Suho I'll let this incident pass this once but the next time this happens I won't be so lenient on you. This is not to be taken lightly. You are supposed to work as a team. If one of you acts selfishly and endangers the others, his fall might drag the whole team with him." The EXO leader's eyes followed the figure behind the brunet, the last words obviously directed at the agent. With the issue settled for now Jaejoong returned the subject to the mission report, which Kai was yet to tell. Judging by the young vampire's hostile attitude something unexpected had occured - Not to mention the small specks of blood on his clothes.

"Tell me, what exactly happened during your mission? I can smell a faint scent of blood on your clothes." By now Jaejoong knew the blood didn't belong to the agent, but even so he studied Kai's soaked figure, looking for possible injuries finding none.

The sudden statement alerted Suho's attention as well. He was a human so he couldn't tell there was also bloodshed involved in Kai's case. Both leaders now watched the agent focused, waiting for an explanation. It was important for them to know what kind of events took place after they lost contact to their undercover agent on the field. They had to know if there was a mess for them to clean up afterwards. This was practically a cross-examination from the two leaders, leaving Kai with no other choice but to submit to their will.

"They were expecting Lucius to appear but instead mistook me for him. To keep low profile I let myself be captured. I also tried to find out if they knew more about our target but it turned out they knew nothing. While I was there I encountered this detective who had been investigating the "vampire incident". They thought I was his accomplice somehow so he ended up taken captive as well."

When Kai got to the part where he made first contact with the detective. He became uncertain with his story. He wasn't sure what exactly had happened. Things got weird, his instincts awoke on their own from the mere smell of the detective's blood. He described that the blood somehow seemed to call out to him, draw him in, which had never happened before. It wasn't attraction he felt but a primal instinct that told him he had to thirst for this man's blood for some unknown reason. It was a miracle the agent didn't lose it back then when the detective ended up coughing blood.

In the end the two managed to make their escape successfully, but the detective was in a rather bad shape. The man had taken a rough beating so that his ribs fractured and body got badly bruised. After they made it out, not too much later a raid party arrived to the property who then took over the scene and looked after the broken man.

While listening to the agent's explanation, the leaders' agreed Kai had done the best he could in his situation and allowed him to take his leave. When the man was gone the two leaders remained in the dark corridor to discuss about the incident. There was something about the detective that caught Jaejoong's interest.

"Suho, I want your team to follow that detective. Do a thorough background check and find out what he knows." Suho frowned at first not understanding what was so special about this detective Kai met during his escape. He admitted that it was a miracle itself that Kai was able cooperate with someone let alone with a total stranger. The young leader had to ponder his new assignment for a while before it struck him.

"Jaejoong, you don't think he might be...? But they're almost extinct. You if someone should know that better than anyone." Suho was aware now what the EXO leader was thinking. It wasn't impossible thought, but how can they make sure the detective belonged to that particular bloodline.

"We need to test him to see whether what I suspect is true. I can tell already he's not a pureblood but there's a high chance that he is an indirect descendant of the hunter clans."

A mix of two humans with hunter ancestors. A half-blood.

 

<<<~~~~~>>>

 

After the club incident the team was given a new objective to their mission. They were to make contact with detective Oh Sehun and offer him co-operation with EXO. The man was to be kept unaware of the organization's existance until he had proven his worth. This was a test to see how well the detective could survive in rough environment that working in the organization included.

Suho was sitting in a black van parked close to Seoul station. Their operation was about to begin and they were getting in position. They were going to have direct contact with their new target, detective Oh Sehun. Just in case something unexpected came up they set up a plan B, which they actually had to put into use now. According to the information from D.O, who was on the look out close to the meeting point, there was at least 3 guys following our man. One among the tourists, another a little further away in a suit talking to a phone and the last was a cameraman taking pictures of the monument. He didn't know for sure if there was more but the hacker suspected the shadowers had one guy waiting in a car somewhere nearby so that made a total of 4 people. With the situation like that Kai was told to withdraw to Seoul station and locate their man there.

The operation was nearly ready to begin. Suho turned to see whether his companion was ready. Another personel was sitting on the back of the van. A boy with light brown hair was was pulling up the zipper of his outfit and just about ready to go. He put on a cap to hide his heatures and gave nod to his leader.

"Baekhyun, let's go." Suho hinted and they left the car. Dressed in grey overalls they headed towards the station carrying metal ladders. They made their way down to the subway platforms and set up in position. Suho and Baekhyun came there acting as the maintenance men sent to "fix" the issue with the security cameras placed underground when in reality it was D.O who had made them malfuction a day earlier. They didn't want their contact with the detective to get captured on camera so it was necessary to take out the security for a moment.

Because there was no visual connection otherwise to what happened underground two of the team was stationed on the platforms to observe the situation. They were there for additional support, ready to step in if something occured. Just for this operation the whole special team was on the move - Each of them connected to one another with mics.

"Team report in." Suho called the rest of his team to name their status. Baekhyun who was next to the leader nodded he was ready to act when needed. Soon others responded as well to their leader's call.

"D.O on standby. I have already hacked in to the station's security system in case you need support."

"Kai in position as well. I'm currently stationed on the ground level, near the main entrance."

"Suho and Baekhyun in position on the subway platforms and on standby - Base, do we have permission to take action?" Althought Suho was their team leader he was new to his job and didn't have too much experience under his belt yet. Knowing this Jaejoong supervised this operation from the base, not interfering unless absolutely necessary. The EXO leader gave his permission and the plan B was put into action. D.O was told to contact the detective once more and send him to Seoul station where he would meet Kai eventually. Everything went smoothly until D.O informed the detective lost sight of Kai before they even made contact because the agent was moving too fast in the crowd.

"It's not my issue if the man is incapable to keep up with my pace. It just means he isn't good enough." Kai hissed back to his team. Suho was about to say something but was instead taken by surprise when the detective appeared practically out of nowhere and slid beneath the ladders Baekhyun and he were carrying. In mere seconds the man got past them without breaking his pace and continued his chase after Kai. The two men in their grey overalls stared after the running man, who disappeared to the crowd, dumbfound.

"He's good at what he's doing," Baekhyun finally admitted to the leader while being just as amazed as the other was. After the detective was gone it took a moment for them to realize they were still carrying the ladders. At this rate they pretty much blocked the whole hallway with their presence. It was then that Baekhyun suggested they should get going before they caused a major blockade they couldn't get through.

Meanwhile Kai explained the reality of the situation to their unaware detective, the other members repositioned themselves to be ready to act when the agent led their target to safety. It wasn't until Suho informed the path was clear for them to move that Kai started their escape.

"Suho, there's a couple of men pushing through the crowd. Without doubt they're following our target." D.O informed his leader who retaliated immediately. He had seen the men approach as well. Suho and Baekhyun were going to break the tailers' line of sight. When they did Kai could make a run for it while the men were distracted.

Two men in black hastened their steps until they were almost running when out of the blue their advancing met a sudden stop. Loud crashing echoed in the hall as metal dropped to the floor. People gathered to see what had happened to the two men who collided pretty badly with metal ladders, and the two maintenance men in their grey overalls complaining at the side if the runners where too blind not to see an obstacle this large. While everyone was focused on the scene Kai and the detective escaped successfully from their pursuers.

Kai led the brunet man down to an underground parking lot where their transport awaited. The agent was to take the detective with him to their hideout for the operation if the man accepted their proposal to co-operate. Suho told it was of great importance that the detective took the chance and acted with them. If you asked for Kai's opinion he didn't like that idea one bit. He simply couldn' t understand what was so important about a plain police like Sehun. He was nothing more but a mere human. No human was able to keep up with him so what was it that the leaders saw in that puny guy.

The agent glanced at the huffing man coming down the ramp to the parking lot. Somehow that human had been able to follow him all the way here, and now that human was clutching the agent's coat, accusing him of being part of his miseries. Kai broke free from the grasp soon enough, seeing his answers had thrown the detective into a state of confusion once again. The sudden revelations sure left their mark on the other's state of mind but Sehun was rather unusual individual being able to regain his stand so quickly. That much credit the agent had to give to the man.

Just as Kai finished his thought he found himself facing the detective, a little too close to his taste. He simply didn't want to feel that disqusting urge towards the man from before. The craving for his blood. If there was something he hated it was male blood, and especially the blood of this guy. Kai's brow twitched briefly as he tried to remain calm and not to kill the man for invading his personal space in so many ways.

The agent's eyes started shifting to the color of blue as he suggested the other to step away from him. Sehun did step away, but not because of Kai's vampiric ability to command others, but of his own will. The vampire immediately took notice of the fact his abilities were uneffective towards the man. Sehun was a human he could not order around, and that could mean only one thing. This person was....

A hunters' descendant.

 

<<<~~~~~>>>

 

After Kai and Sehun withdrew from Lucius's hideout, the agent returned to the base. Suho had commanded him to return due to what happened in the warehouse. Althought Kai could control his instincts it wasn't enough to handle the large pressure created by the vast amounts of fresh blood in the house. In addition Kai was still young for a vampire so his self-restrain was lacking, which his obvious bloodlust proved rather well.

Simply put, EXO couldn't risk the agent losing it suddenly, especially around Sehun when his blood naturally attracted vampires. Kai's state was still unstable until the blueness in his eyes faded. The shot Kai took subdued his bloodlust but only temporarily. He had to drink blood in order to fully calm his storming instincts. After the vampires consumed blood they become stronger momentarily, but also more unpredictable, impulsive in a way because their vampire instincts peak at the sudden gush of power. EXO being aware of this fact, the agent was set under strict surveillance to avoid accidents from happening.

Team leader Suho was under a lot pressure because they would have to keep the detective safe while chasing after an unpredictable and dangerous target, who was no less than a blood trader with connections to vampires. Also the fact that his agent was in an unsteady state and wasn't able to act with the detective was an issue.

EXO had spent their time observing the media and tracking the social network as well as the police department, looking for signs of suspicious movement. So far nothing had happened, but their target was sure to take action soon, knowing how the blood business works.

"How's our detective doing?" Suho asked Kyungsoo since keeping an eye on Sehun in the meantime was also one of their jobs. The black haired hacker laid back in his chair and groaned frustrated.

"Tsch, that tight detective is way too serious. Althought he is no longer working for the police he's running around the crime scenes. This morning he made a call to the CSI unit's head Lee Han, and was told to go to Lucius's hideout. The police is clearly up to something, but I can't tell what since there's no way for me to observe Sehun while he's on the mountains." Under Suho's orders D.O had traced Sehun's activity ever since he first contacted the man. The hacker didn't particularly like his assignment since it was rather boring to just keep watch on someone when he could have been doing something more challenging. D.O was practically a genious when it came to hacking and now he had to lower himself to follow some lame guy's activities.

"Our detective is currently back in the police department and made contact with homicide unit's head Park Sangwoo. If I had to say something, I'd say our detective is conducting some sort of investigation of his own. Not sure what he is looking for thou." Suho nodded and told to inform as soon as anything stepped out of the ordinary. It was after that, that the door to the command room opened.

The arrival was Kai. Apparently he had received his dose and had calmed down enough for his eyes to shift back to their original color and to be let out from the confinement room. When the agent had arrived in the base he had shining blue eyes and highly active predatory instincts. The drug effects had pretty much worn off already so it was necessary to confine the vampire. This action was never pleasant, but it had to be done. In the years Kai had been in that room for several times when learning to control his bloodlust and each time was like the vampire was going to suffocate because he could not act accordingly to his primal nature. Kai had improved a lot from his first time, however, there were still incidents like these.

Suho recognized from Kai's expression that he was still coming down from his predatory high, but his mental state was stabile, which was sufficient reason for the agent to be allowed to rejoin his teammates in the mission. Suho was still uncertain whether Kai was going to be able to keep himself under check close to Sehun because the detective had exceptional blood. Despite his doubts he needed the agent on field.

"Oh, no.......Not good. This is not good." Kyungsoo mumbled so that he caught the others attention as well. Suho came to look what the hacker was doing that made him so nervous. There was a pile of coding on the screen that didn't make any sense to the team leader until D.O deciphered it and shifted its form to more a readable version for normal people. Suho's expression turned serious as soon as he saw the text. Kyungsoo had managed to intercept a message from the police department with orders to eliminate a certain person, a detective named Oh Sehun.

".....Kyungsoo, I need you to track Sehun's where abouts right now! Locate the smartphone, it has satellite tracking." Suho started giving out orders to his team with great determination. It was time he stepped up as EXO-K's leader and acted like one. The detective was now an unofficial part of the team so it was his responsibility as the leader to keep his team safe.

"Kai, I need you to....!" Suho scanned the room to see the agent was nowhere to be seen anymore. The man was gone already. "Kai! Where the hell are you!" the team leader yelled angry to the mic.

"I'm already on it." Kai's voice was heard in the command room. The agent had left as soon as he saw the hidden message. Althought he didn't particularly like the idea of saving the detective, he seemed to be important to the others. And there was still that little score to settle as well.

"I'm taking the motorcycle, it's fastest way to get through the traffic. Kyungsoo, give me the directions and clear the way for me. I need to drive without stops to get there in time." The hacker agreed and started working on his assignment. Suho hated how the agent took off on his own, but the man was sharp and acted fast with great efficiency.

"Kai, listen. When you get there saving the detective is your top priority, but watchout for Lucius. He's dangerous when cornered. If the situation turns bad you have the permission to kill."

"Naturally." Kai snorted and swung a bag to his back that had a loaded rifle concealed in it. As soon as he was ready the agent stepped on it heading to the main streets, speeding throught the lane of green lights. D.O's traffic controlling made it possible to reach their destination in record time but hopefully the detective was still alive by the time the agent arrived to the scene.

The road ahead of the agent led to a factory, which had been closed for multiple years now - That was his final destination. The detective was there and so was Lucius. The man had decided to pursue their target on his own. It was possible that Sehun wasn't aware the person he was after was not only the leak in the police department but also the blood trader EXO was chasing.

"That damn idiot detective went investigating on his own when I clearly told him to wait." Kai cursed in the back of his mind as he focused on the road ahead of him. He was hurrying to save someone he barely knew. There wasn't even any guarantees that the detective was still alive.

Rocks flew wildly when Kai pulled a sudden stop from high speed to the yard of the abandoned factory. He left the motorcycle to the back of the building and started running upstairs. The higher ground gave him advantage to see the full scale of the area and provided a clear angle for him to sharpshoot from the shadows. He moved silently on the metal structures hanging from the roof, the smell of blood growing stronger the further he advanced into the building. Without doubt it was the blood of the detective. His vampire instincts could recognize that sweet scent from anywhere. Just by following the scent he found his way quickly to the hall where he saw the detective hanging to his life. There was also another person, a larger man who was pointing a gun at Sehun clearly with the intention to kill.

There was simply no time to waste. Kai could hear their speech partially and judging by the words the one with the gun was about to shoot. The agent pulled out his rifle, steadied his stance, removed the safety lock and aimed. He needed a clean shot otherwise he could shoot the detective in the progress.

Time was running out. He needed to fire. It was now or never.

The metallic sound of gunshot echoed in the vast factory hall muting all other sounds of life coming from the outside. Kai was sure he had hit the mark, but the target was still standing. Could it be he missed the vitals somehow? Silently the agent observed the situation from his position as the large man stood still at first then slowly he started to waver until he crumbled to the concrete floor, creating a puddle of blood around him. The killer was dead but Sehun wasn't moving - He just lied there immobile.

Despite Sehun's condition Kai refrained from taking action because he sensed a dozen of other presences approaching fast. They were the police's raid party led by superior Park Sangwoo. The agent watched them come and look after the detective before he chose to leave. Sehun was safe among his own people who would surely tend his injuries. There was no need for the agent to linger any longer.

"Kai, what's you status? What happened?" Suho was asking rather distressed because the sound of gunshot was heard all the way to their end. And since they had no way to get picture from the scene they could only depend on Kai's vision.

"There's is one dead and Lucius has escaped. Our detective is alive but injured. He's currently being taken care of by paramedics. The police arrived just with their raid teams." Kai collected his equipment while explaining. It wasn't wise of him to stay because each wasted moment raised the possibility of getting into conflict with the police, which was something EXO preferred to avoid.

"Understood. Withdraw and meet back at the base."

 

<<<~~~~>>>

 

The next day newscast reported a man's, who was around his mid-twenties, body was recovered from the Han river early this morning. The identity of the person was still unclear and the police was asking for clues regarding the body. The man was told have done suicide by drowning but for those who knew better it wasn't a simple suicide, it was a planned murder. The water played an important factor since it removed all evidence of the killer.

Lucius's mistake cost him his life. The man ended up killed by the very people whom he worked for. Those people knew exactly how dangerous it was to keep such man around who had failed to keep their secrets and was being followed not only by the police but also by the secret underground organization, EXO. They made sure to clean up their mess in a way that the tracks ended with the blood trader's death. No witnesses would be left alive and all connections to Lucius's were severed. After that was nothing. At least EXO managed to confirm that Lucius had been working on his own in this case but there was no telling what else the man may have known about the illegal blood trades in the end.

It was unfortunate to lose such an important lead, but what they found in the midst of their operation was something that could make up for their lose. This incident wasn't a complete waste because detective Oh Sehun had proved out to be just what Jaejoong had suspected, a hunters' descendant. Kai's failed attempts to mesmerize the man and the reaction his blood drew from the young vampire was enough of a proof to confirm that he indeed was part of that particular bloodline. The detective had also showed exceptional skill in his own field of expertise. He was the perfect addition to the special unit, which was why a team was sent to bring him in so that the detective could finally learn.....

The truth.