Chapter 1 -Missing Link-

The Case of Bloodless Girl

 

 

The smell of fresh coffee filled the ever dusty feeling office air. The ladies were having their lunch break, chit chatting, gigling and sipping their coffees. In the office there were many gossips floating around and one of them were the "vampire" case.  Without a doubt it was the hottest topic around the department. The press is all over the place scooping around trying to dig out the details of the case and the superiors were pressuring the police to hasten the investigations before things could turn unfavorable for them.

Sehun studied his case files once more going through every detail trying to find anything that might further his investigations but he had found nothing. Slowly, his frustration was taking over his senses making him restless.

"!" He cursed as he spilled his coffee to his pants. He had pulled an all-nighter trying to figure out the clues. Some things just didn't fit together, the clue that linked everything together was missing, the murder weapon.

"Hey, Sehun! How's your case progressing. Did you find the murder weapon yet or do you need help in searching for it" The older officer asked with an unpleasant smirk written all over his face. Ah, he's one of those, one of those people who become jealous and bitter over others success and think that they should have received the position.

"There's no need for you to be worried officer Sambyul.  I'll catch the murderer sooner or later."

"But are you sure there's nothing I can do to aid you because you don't have to hesitate to tell me if there's something you need."

"Thank you for your generous offer but I wouldn't want to disturb your work. After all you are rather busy person, aren't you."

"I see, I sure hope you manage to find the cultprit sooner rather later. Well, whatever the conclusion is for this farce, I'll let the results speak for themselves. Good luck, detective Sehun"

"I will do my very best to catch him; you'll have my word for it."

Sambyul stormed out, clearly annoyed by Sehuns guts. He may be older and have much more years on the field but he doesn't have the skill to become a detective if he had he'd already be one. What Sambyul thought about Sehun wasn't hard to guess. It was common to gossip about the disputes of the office and especially Sehun's success in his career being one of the main topics. Sehun didn't really care about the floating rumors but they were slowly starting to affect his work performance because some of his colleagues were beginning to think the rumors were true.

Sehun grabbed a towel and began scrubbing the spilled coffee from his pants. Despite his best efforts it left a stain on his right thigh. Damn it, it won't get off. Damn that coffee and damn you Sambyul. I look as if I had wet my pants. PIIP, PIIP, PIIP. No way and now my phone is dead. I should have charged it. Cursing at himself he returned to his work desk and tried to find his phone charger when he accidently brushed his case files to the floor in the progress. . This is some crappy day I have....the case, coffee, Sambyul, phone and now this shi--- Wait a minute. What's this? Is it what I think it is?  Something in the photos had caught his eye, among the victim's belongings there was a wire, a charger wire meant for laptops.

------

"Hmm....no, there's no mentions about a laptop being brought here among other possible evidence" The man responsible for the archives mumbled as he went thought his papers.

"Are you absolutely sure?"

"Yes, I have double checked and there's no records about any laptops being brough here linked to your case."

"Is it possible that someone may have tampered the files?" Sehun pointed sharply giving the man a suspecting look.

"That's preposterous! I have been in this unit for 30 years and not once have I made a mistake!" The elder was frankly offended by the younger's suggestions and started preaching how youngsters nowadays have no manners until a familiar voice interrupted his speech.

"Calm down mister Jung, I believe detective Sehun meant no disrespect to your work. He just wanted to make sure there were no errors with his investigation." The voice belonged to the forensics department's investigator Han, the very man who had overseen Sehun when he first joined the police. He came walking down the corridor a file in his hands. The sudden ruckus in the unit had disturbed his attention from his research.

"Doctor Han, I apologize for the disturbance I may have caused" Sehun gave a deep bow to the doctor now standing before him.

"Sehun, no need for such formalities. Officer Jung, please forgive his bluntness because he's still very new to this after all."

"So it seems." The man gave Sehun a serious glare but then returned to Han. "Since it's you, I'll let it pass this once. Doctor Han, detective Sehun, I'll be returning to my work since the files won't find their places by themselves" After the archivist had disappeared into the mids of the storage unit, doctor Han signed Sehun to follow him into his office so they could talk privately.

"Want some instant coffee? I'll pour you some in a minute." The moment coffee was mentioned Sehun saw a flashback from earlier this morning, reminding him of the unfortunate occurancies such as his colleagues giving him strange looks at a certain wet area.

"NO! I mean, no, no thank you. I have had enough of coffee for the day."

"Oh? Well I'll pour you anyway. What brings you here today? Is it about your recent case, the vampire killer, wasn't it?"

"Yeah, I'm searching something but I'm not sure if it's here so I'm trying to find out."

"So what is it exactly that you're looking for because I might be able to help?"

Sehun took out his case file, spread the photos on the desk and pointed at the charger.

"The charger possibly belongs to a small laptop model that's light, and easy to carry around. I wondered if it was brought here among the other evidence but since officer Jung didn't seem to know anything about it I assume the laptop is still missing"

"That's odd, I thought the victim's room had been searched through and through."

"Well apparently that's not the case since we're missing such an important piece of puzzle."

"Hmm...Your case was earlier handled by someone else and then it was transferred to the homicide unit and from there to you." Sehun furrowed his brows now deep in thought wondering if his predecessor might know anything about the missing evidence.

"Do you happen to know who was in charge of the investigation before I received the case?

"I do not know much about the details why your predecessor was taken off the case but I assume he wasn't making much progress so the higher ups were getting restless at his incompetense. He was costing them time and money so they decided to move the case to another unit."

"So you know the person in question?" This information was something Sehun had not heard from his superiors as he received the case since it had been profiled as a sensitive issue. His senses were intrigued by doctor Hans sudden reveal so he decided to push his luck trying to find out more.  "Han, please tell me."

"No....I think I already told you too much. You're not supposed to know this."

"No, now there's even more reason for me to know since this might lead me to solve the case. And besides I have every reason to suspect that someone from the inside may have tampered the evidence, mister Jung isn't as sharp as he used to and the technology has evolved much from his time so I need to know in order for me to see the whole picture." The elder frowned and rubbed his eyes, then shifted his gaze back to Sehun, worry showing in his eyes. Sehun had a point, much had changed in 30 years and the police had had leaks before but never as bad as now.

"Very well..." Han shook his head and took a look at his computer. After a moment of silence he returned to Sehun sighing. "What I'm telling you now might get me in trouble for overstepping my boundaries."

"I'll make sure not to get you involved any more than this. You have my word."

"The one leading the search was elder officer Sambyul. I know you two don't have the friendliest terms so I advice you not to do anything to provoke him. As you may have noticed he's been very bitter recently and without a doubt it's because he was removed from the very case you're now in charge of."

No wonder he's been throwing at me whenever he's got the chance. There's one more reason for him to hate me. Sambyul must have something personal attached to this case since he's been trying to sabotage me ever since he heard I was in charge. But why would someone be so obsessed over a case? Is it because of his vague sense of honor or something deeper I'm not aware of. All in all Sambyul does act suspiciously for a police. Sehun sprung up from his chair, the chair making a screeching sound.

"I'll be going now, thank you for the information. This was truly a great help." Swiftly he gathered his files, gave a hasty bow and rushed out from the office almost slamming the door, leaving Han work in his office.

"Ah, there he goes again, rushing off...youngsters these days, always in a hurry." Han took a sip from his coffee and noticed the other cup had remained untouched.

"Phsst, he still can't hold his coffee." He chuckled amused before enjoying another sip.

------