The Way Your Fic Looks

Things I Cannot Stand

For the life of me, I cannot comprehend the choices that some people make when deciding on how their fic will look.

Posters, I can understand (I personally don't use them, I'm far too lazy), but making the fonts rainbow colored and cursive, adding in pictures every few paragraphs, and distracting backgrounds (especially those gif ones. Those are the worst.)?

No.

Go away.

Here are some ways to combat the urge to make your fic look weird:

1. 'How do I know which characters are talking?'

Why don't you put 'XX character said/screamed/cried/whatever' at the end of the dialogue?

2. 'My characters are speaking in different languages!'

There are two common ways (that I have seen) that this is done in normal literature. One is to use the actual phrase of language itself. I only recommend using this if you yourself are fluent in the language (I'm looking at you, all you people who think you can speak Korean but don't actually know what you're talking about) or have a trusted source that is fluent in that language (Google Translate is not a trusted source), if it's obvious what they're talking about (i.e 'annyeong' or 'ni hao ma'), and/or if there is a very small amount of it used in the story.

The other way is to italicize the speech by the characters when they're using the other language. This method is more common when the characters are speaking in the other language for a longer period of time. When you use this method, it is imperative that you make clear what language the characters are speaking in before you start italicizing, otherwise your readers won't understand why Jongdae can't understand what Luhan and Tao are talking about when it all looks to be in English to them.

3. 'I want the readers to know exactly what the character is wearing/what the room looks like/how they're acting!'

If you cannot write descriptively enough to describe an outfit/setting/action, you need much more practice.

That being said, however, we don't need to know that her sweater has seven stripes, or that there are eighty-seven books on his bookshelf. You can simply say that she's wearing a striped sweater, or that his bookshelf is filled with books. It's better to allow the reader to imagine the scene on their own, but not to the point where you're being too vague. The only way you can improve this is with practice.

Another thing not to do is hyperlink the image into the story instead of just pasting it in. Although this can look more streamlined, it's distracting to have to see the occasional flash of blue in the middle of a sentence.

4. 'I want a cool background!'

Please refrain from using backgrounds. Some people might like them, but I personally despise them. They usually distract from what I'm really after: the literary work itself.

To better illustrate my point, look at any modern novel.

Go ahead, it won't bite you.

Open the cover and skim through a few pages.

What do you see?

Plain text!

Oh my!

Where is the neon?

Where is the cursive?

Where are the pictures that describe what the main character is doing or what the main character's room looks like?

I've got an answer for you: THEY DON'T EXIST!

And yet, many of those novels sell by the thousands, if not millions.

You don't need to make your story look flashy to draw attention to it; the story itself is what the readers have come for. The real content should do all the talking for you.