No Path

내꺼야

 

  You really did not have the energy to go to a theme park, so you told him no.

            Zelo tried to hide his disappointment and smiled weakly. “Uh… Okay.”

            You smiled and tried to stay positive. “Well, what else do you want to do?”

            He looked to the sky for an answer and then turned to you with excitement in his eyes, “I really want to go this arcade that Young Jae-hyung told me about! Also, we can go to this shopping district that is close by and whatever else you want to do!” Zelo smiled, happy about his new plan. “What do you think?!”

            You nodded. “That sounds like fun.”

            “Then, let’s go!”

            You and Zelo ran to the subway.

                                                         —

            “Wow~ I’ve only seen this place on TV,” you said excited.

            “Have you never been here, noona?”

            You shook your head and jumped up and down.

            Zelo laughed. “Sometimes I wonder who the dongsaeng is.”

            You puffed out your cheeks and frowned. “Where is this amazing arcade anyway,” you asked sarcastically.

            Zelo snickered and pointed next to you.

            “Oh.”

            “Come on let’s go, stupid noona,” he said laughing.

            “Yah!”

                                                        —

            “Zelo-ah, how many coins do you want?”

            You began to take out your wallet, but Zelo stopped you by putting his hand over yours. He shook his head.

            “It’s okay noona, my treat!”

            You looked at him surprised at his maturity.

            “Yah~ What is this supposed to be some kind of date?”

            He laughed and put 20,000 won ($20) into the machine. He then handed you 50 coins.

            You bowed awkwardly and said, “Oh, thank you.”

            He smiled. “Anything for noona.”

            You blushed slightly.

            Where did this sudden maturity come from?

            Zelo’s eyes lit up. “Wow! Let’s play that one first!”

            He grabbed you by the arm and dragged you over to the racing game.

            Two people were in the middle of a game, so you waited behind them. Zelo pretended to drive a car and made engine noises. He laughed at himself.

            Or not.

            The people in front got off, so you both slide into the open seats and put in your coins.

            “Racers! Choose your car,” the announcer on the game shouted.

            “Hey Zelo, what happens if one of us wins?”

            You both pressed the start button after customizing your cars.

            He turned to you with a wicked smile and placed his finger on his cheek. “Kiss, kiss.”

            You were confident in your racing abilities, so you agreed. “Fine, but if I win… You have to be my slave for the rest of the day.”

            He extended his hand out to you for a pinky promise. “Fine.”

            You hooked pinkies and pressed your thumb to his. “Fine.”

            “Racers! On your mark!”

            You both pushed down on the gas petal.

            “Get set!”

            You narrowed your eyes.

            “Go!”

                                                            —

            “Yay! I won,” you cheered while you and Zelo looked for another game to play.

            Zelo’s shoulders slouched and he pouted slightly.

            “Yah, slave, buy me and ice cream.”

            You both stopped in front of the concession stand and Zelo bowed slightly. “Yes, miss.”

            He went up to the register and ordered two ice creams. You waited patiently for his return.  He came back holding two delicious ice creams.

            You can taste the sweet goodness already. You reached out for your cone, but Zelo both of them and then handed you one of them.

            “Yah! You brat!”

            “Why? What’s wrong? You can still eat it can’t you? It didn’t fall on the floor or anything,” he said and took a bite of his own.

            You pouted and looked sadly at your ice cream. You took a timid , but was not satisfied. “Let’s go to another game.”

            You both finished your ice cream and went deeper into the arcade.

                                                            —

            “That was so fun,” you said while heading out of the arcade. “Zelo-ah, where to next?” You turned to him and saw that he was playing with the mini toy skateboard you bought him. You laughed. “You’re such a kid.”

            He stopped and put the toy in his pocket. “No I’m not.” He looked around and pointed to an outdoor mall across the street. “This way.”

            You both walked in silence. There was some sort of tension building.

            “Hey noona.”

            “Yeah?”

            “Do you like older or younger men?”

            You snorted. “Why are you asking that?”

            He waited, silently, for your answer.

            “Hmm… well I think it doesn’t matter if you are older or younger. Love knows no age, right?”

            He nodded. “Love knows no age,” he said quietly to himself.

            “Let’s go in here,” you said pointing to a store for men and women.

            “Welcome,” the employees greeted you as you both entered.

            You laughed. “Look at this!” You lead Zelo to a table filled with shirts and held one out that had cherry tomatoes on it. “Aren’t there yours or something? Like… uh… in your first show when you were cooking and you were like ‘Cherry tomatoes, you are mine.’”

            He laughed and took the shirt. He looked at it and then looked at you. “Noona it’s not the cherry tomatoes anymore.”

            You looked at him confused.

            He bent down and whispered in your ear. “Noona is mine now.”

            You laughed. “What the heck? You kid!” You pushed him playfully.

            He frowned and went to pay for the shirt.

                                                —

            You both sat in a Korean barbecue restaurant with mountains of shopping bags on either side of you.

            “Hey Zelo,” you asked between bites of food.

            “Yes?”

            “How do you find clothes? You’re so tall.”

            “Hey. It’s not like I’m a giant,” he slurped the noodles he was eating. “There are stores that sell clothes for my height.”

            You nodded.

            “Ah~” He rubbed the back of his neck annoyed. “I prayed to stop growing, but now I’m over 182 centimeters.”

            “Why? You should be happy to be this tall. It’s very attractive.”

            He stopped rubbing his neck and looked at you seriously. “You think so noona?”

            You nodded. “Sure. Lots of girls think it’s attractive.”

            “Oh… thank you,” he said blushing. “Did you want to go anywhere else today?”

                                                Home or Park?