The One that Got Away*

Always You and I

Seo Hyun rested her head on the table in front of her. Lunch time nearly ended so almost all of her friends had came back to class, leaving Seo Hyun and Min Hyuk alone because the boy still needed to finish his meal.

            He saw her sigh as she closed her eyes.

            “Wae?” Min Hyuk asked her. They had been dating for almost two months now. And this was not the first time he saw Seo Hyun looking so distant. He felt it too.

            “Ani.” Seo Hyun chose not to answer.

            Her eyes were drawn away to a person who was sitting at the far end of the cafeteria. The person who was now laughing with his friends. The person who never walked her to school anymore.

            Somehow, she missed him, Jung Yong Hwa.

            She knew that they fight and argue on little things all the time. He annoyed her. And she knew she nagged too much. But she missed those little fights. She missed walking to school with him. She missed his silly child-like expressions.

            But he did not seem like he missed her, too.

            A little bit later, Yong Hwa’s crowd stood up from their chairs. She kept her eyes on him as he walked pass by her table, without looking at her or even say hello, as if she was not sitting there the whole time. She was deeply hurt by his action. That was not how you treated your best friend.

            Jung Yong Hwa, you promised not to leave me alone even though I’m with Min Hyuk. But it seemed like you broke your promise.

*

            He was not blind. As much as she tried to hide it from him, he could see it clearly from her eyes.

            The worst thing is, he kind of knew from the beginning. He knew it since he saw them walking home together that very day. He tried to deny it. He tried to runaway from it. But reality followed through.

            He knew.

            The kind of look on her face when she saw him passed us by in the cafeteria explained it all.

            After all this time, Min Hyuk was always jealous on Yong Hwa. Even though Seo Hyun never did or said anything that would trigger his jealousy, but her body language told him the opposite.

            She kept looking at her every time she saw him walking down the hallway. Recently, she always chose to walk through the 3rd year corridor before going to class. There was a shorter route, but still, she chose the 3rd year corridor. When he asked why she chose the further one, she told him that she liked walking around school. But her subtle glance every time she walked passed the first class on the left was obvious to Min Hyuk.

            She was checking on him, Jung Yong Hwa.

            You know, it hurts when someone you really like reject your feeling. And Min Hyuk was thankful that it did not happen to him with Seo Hyun. She accepted him immediately. The day she answered him with a ‘yes’ was the happiest day of his life.

            But do you what hurts the most? It’s the feeling when you realize that someone you love is in love with someone else.

*

            Yong Hwa knew that a particular pair of eyes was looking at him from another table. Without looking, he knew who it was. It was Seo Hyun.

            But he acted like he didn’t know. He kept talking and laughing with his friends.

            This is better. I don’t have to deal with her or with this confusing feeling I have towards her.

            She has a boyfriend. And as much as I want her relationship to end, or for Min Hyuk to move to North Korea, I can’t ruin it for her. It is not my place.

            This is better. This is easier.

            He knew that he had been ignoring her. But it should be done if he wanted to get rid of his feelings to Seo Hyun. It was too confusing and it only made things get awkward between them.

            He wanted to be supportive to her and her relationship with Min Hyuk. And he could not do that with feelings lingering around.

            So he decided to act ignorant. Hoping that by acting like this, the feeling he had towards Seo Hyun would eventually be gone.

            Mianhae, Seo Hyun-ah.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 *The One that Got Away is a song performed by Katy Perry.