Heartbreak Warfare*

Always You and I

                 From: Joo Hyun

            To: Min Hyuk

            Where are you?

 

            From: Min Hyuk

            To: Joo Hyun

            On my way. R U at the park already?

 

            From: Joo Hyun

            To: Min Hyuk

            Ne.. I’m at the swings near the lake. Palli!

 

            It was a sunny Sunday. The sky was so bright. Spring wind breezed through Seo Hyun’s hair, making her grateful that she and Min Hyuk decided to have a picnic date.

            She dropped her backpack on the grass below her and ran for the swings. It wouldn’t hurt to play a little while waiting for her boyfriend, right.

            She could not remember the last time she was on a swing, enjoying cold breeze running through her hair, feeling the freedom as if she was on top of the world. She remembered that swings were her favorite during kindergarten and elementary school times. Yong Hwa was the one who always push her back.

            Yong Hwa…

            Suddenly, she felt like she was suffocating. She did not know what happened to them, especially after she dated Min Hyuk. He just disappeared, even though he promised her not to leave her alone.

            Am I being selfish?

            A particular thought came bugging her. Actually, she had been thinking about it since that incident in the cafeteria. Maybe it was too selfish of her to ask him not to leave. It was too greedy of her to ask him to stay by her side when she was already with Min Hyuk.

            She did not make him promise without reason. She was actually afraid that when one of them started to have a relationship with other people, theirs would fall apart. For Seo Hyun, Yong Hwa was an important part of her life. Maybe one of the most important besides her parents. So, to imagine him gone away, not being with her, was unbearable.

            Maybe she was selfish. Maybe she was greedy. Because right at that time, she would give away her everything to get her best friend back.

            Even breaking up with Min Hyuk.

            She knew that all of this began after Min Hyuk and her started dating. She was not that stupid not to realize that Yong Hwa’s cold treatment to her was related to the dating part. She knew something was going on with him. She just did not know what.

            If she broke up with Min Hyuk, maybe Yong Hwa would come back. Maybe things will be right again. But she just couldn’t do it. It was too cruel.

            Without she realized, a tear ran down her cheek. A tear that represented her confusion.

            “Annyeong!” Suddenly, she heard Min Hyuk coming from behind her. The boy came with the widest smile on his face, looking happy and excited at the same time. The kind of expression that made Seo Hyun felt guilty to be sad in a good day like this.

            “Are you crying?” Min Hyuk asked her, touching her cheek.

            “No.”

            “Don’t lie.”

            “I’m not crying.” Seo Hyun insisted. She did not want Min Hyuk to know that she was indeed crying because of another boy.

            Then, another smile was drawn on Min Hyuk’s lips. This time, it was a different kind of smile. A smile that looked so understanding, as if he understood what kind of storm that happened in his girlfriend’s mind and heart.

            “Seo Joo Hyun…” Min Hyuk called her name as he kneeled in front of her. She was still sitting on the swing, looking at Min Hyuk with a confused gaze.

            He took her both of her hands, “I know.”

            That was all that he said. He told her that he knew.

            “Knew what?” Seo Hyun was still looking at him in confusion. She did not understand what he was saying. What did he understand?

            “I know about your feelings. The way you feel towards me. And how your heart actually lies with him.”

            What is this? What is he talking about? Is he talking about Yong Hwa?

            “I don’t understand.”

            “Please don’t lie to me, Seo Joo Hyun. I know about it even since the first day I moved here. The way you look into his eyes, the way you would glance over his class whenever we walked by, the way you stare at him from the other side of the hallway whenever he passed by. Everything, Joo Hyun-ah. You might not tell me about it. But your body language was obvious.”

            “I was the one who was blinded by you. I tried to deny everything. I convinced myself that both of you were just best friends and nothing more. But the more I try to convince myself, the more I understand that this relationship is nonsense. You don’t like me.”

            “But I do like you.” Seo Hyun felt her tears started to fell. It was not herself to cry this often. She was the kind of girl who was tough and cool. Who knew that a matter of the heart could make her break down and cry like this?

            “Maybe you do. But I know for sure that you don’t love me.”

            That statement silenced her. She did not know how to react to those words. It felt like dagger on her heart. Min Hyuk just told her something that she never realized.

            She was so confuse about her feelings towards both Min Hyuk and Yong Hwa. Was it love?

            “Are you mad?”

            “I’m not. Not at you, at least. I’m angry with myself. I realized that it was not my place to be your boyfriend. It wasn’t supposed to be me. Somebody else already entitled that role. I stole his place.”

            None of them said anything. It was a solid silence between them. Both realized that nothing they say could fix what was already broken. Everything was messed up.

            “He loves you too, you know?”

            “Who?”

            “Yong Hwa sunbae.”

            “How do you know?”

            “I asked him.”

            Seo Hyun sighed. She never knew that their date would end like this. She never imagined that their relationship would end on a good day like this.

            “But he might be lying. If he really loved me, he would not act like this, ignoring me.”

            “I kind of understand about what he was doing. He was giving us our private space so that he would not disturb our relationship with his feelings. He did not want to be a burden to us. That was why he did that.” Min Hyuk chuckled, “I might do that too, if I’m in love with a best friend like you.”

            “Are you gonna be okay?” Seo Hyun asked him.

            “Please, I’m such a charmer. Girls are already lining up to be your replacement.”

            Both of them laughed. It surprised her how they could laugh like this, as if nothing happened. This was exactly why he liked Min Hyuk. He was fun to be with. If things get better, who knows, maybe they could be friends again.

            Then, Seo Hyun took Min Hyuk’s hands as a symbol of apology, “I’m sorry things went like this, Min Hyuk-ah. I’m sure that I hurt you somehow. I really am sorry for everything that happened. But I don’t regret being your girlfriend. You’re a good guy. You deserve somebody better.”

            “It’s okay. Just promise me one thing.” Min Hyuk told her, “Please get him back, so that my sacrifice won’t go wasted.”

            “I promise.”

            They linked their pinkies together as a start of a new beginning. The promise that ended their relationship.

---------------------------------------------------

*Heartbreak Warfare is a song performed by John Mayer