Sidewalk*

Always You and I

            School has finished. The road was suddenly filled up with students, boys and girls, who laughed in joy because they could go home or go somewhere more fun than school. But there are two persons among them who did not have a bit of smile on their face. They were walking towards the same direction, but separated. She was on the inner side of the road while he walked on the outer side, across each other.

            The pout on her lips was clearly shown. It was obvious that Seohyun was still mad with Yong Hwa. But deep inside her heart she also knew that she was not supposed to treat Yong Hwa harshly, like this morning. Well, at least, not in public.

            Meanwhile, Yong Hwa was also upset because he already said sorry to her, but she did not budge. She even kept hitting him in front of his friends, who were all older than her. He knew that they were best friends, but she still had to treat him with respect, especially at school. She needed to get rid of that kind of temper immediately.

            However, he also realized that he was at fault, too. He was not supposed to stare at her this morning. A gentleman should immediately turn away and not kept his gaze on her. He was being a disrespectful. If only his mom knew about this, his death was a sure thing.

            “Ya.. Seo Joo Hyun..” Yong Hwa called her name. He rarely called her by her full name. When he did that, she knew that he was being serious. She wanted to respond him but her pride came in the way.

            “Seo Joo Hyun…” Yong Hwa called her again. Still, no response.

            “Mianhae…” He said to her, whether she heard it or not. “Jinjja mianhae. I shouldn’t have looked. I should have closed my eyes and turned away. I’m sorry.”

            After listening to his apology, she suddenly stopped walking and turned to him. She signaled him to come to her, so that was what he did. With his innocence, he crossed the street, coming to Seohyun and was curious about what she wanted to say.

            She had this mischievous smile on her face. He should have known better because suddenly, when he was already standing in front of her, she hit his forehead with his fingers. The kind of hit that he hated the most.

            “Ya! What was that for?” Yong Hwa growled in pain while rubbing his red forehead.

            “That was your first punishment.” Seohyun laughed.

            Wait. Did she say my first punishment?

            “There’s another one?”

            “Of course!” She was still smiling widely, “Buy me a goguma-flavored ice cream.”

            “That’s it?”

            “That’s it.”

            “You will forgive me after that?”

            “Well, I already forgave you, actually.”

            “So what’s the ice cream for?”

            “Nothing, I just want some ice cream.” She giggled.

            “Ah, cham! I don’t have any money. If you want ice cream, go buy it yourself.” Yong Hwa walked away.

            “YA! Do you want to get hit again?” Seohyun ran towards Yong Hwa and smacked his shoulder.

            “Arasso! Arasso!” Yong Hwa rubbed his right shoulder. This girl had a giant-like power. She was a tiny-monster. “I’ll buy you ice cream.”

            “Good boy!” She tapped his shoulder and smiled.

            That was it. Their fight was over. And everything was right again between them.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

*Sidewalk is a song performed by Story of the Year