A (Not So) Plain Morning

Always You and I

“Seo Joo Hyun! Come out, quick! We’re gonna be late for school.” Yong Hwa, with messy hair and untucked shirt, knocked on the white door in front of him: Seo Joo Hyun’s room, his childhood best friend. He shouted in his unique accent, Busan satoori that had been his pride as Busan man.

They had been living as neighbors since Yong Hwa was still in the 1st year of elementary school. Seo Joo Hyun, or Seo Hyun as she preferred, was just got into kindergarten. Her family moved to Busan when he was 6 years old, right to the house next to his.

As she did not have any friends and could not understand the weird accent from the people around her, Yong Hwa’s mom told him to befriend the little girl.

“Don’t shout! I’m brushing my hair.” Seohyun replied from inside her room.

It had been their ritual to go to school together. Yong Hwa would go to Seohyun’s house, had his breakfast there, and knocked on Seohyun’s door for 5 to 10 minutes before she came out with a deadly glare. She never liked it when Yong Hwa annoyed her in the morning. A girl should have at least 30 minutes alone to prepare herself for school. But Yong Hwa did not seem to understand that as he always knocking on her door and disturb her ‘morning ritual’.

“How long will you be…” Impatiently, Yong Hwa opened the door only to find Seohyun still shirtless, wearing only her bra and her uniform skirt. Both of them freeze. He looked at her with undefined expression. He knew that he should look away. But something prevented him to do so. This view in front of him was so mesmerizing. He did not know that his best friend has that kind of body.

For a second, both of them kept silent and only looked at each other from their reflection of Seohyun’s mirror. Until she screamed her lungs out, forcing Yong Hwa to slammed the door shut and literally ran for his life.

Without waiting for Seohyun, he immediately went to school. During his walk, he kept thinking of that incident. He could still remember the glimpse of sunlight that shone through her window and illuminated her figure as he opened the door this morning. He did not mean to sound like a ert, but it was indeed the most beautiful thing that he had ever seen.

Yong Hwa sighed as he felt his heart jumping around. Something started to feel differently around here. What is this?