Trust

The Rejected

The Rejected

Scene 7: Trust

The weekend passed quickly without anything special happening. You, who felt bored and lonely, went to the coffee shop for some caffeine. The coffee shop is a place where you can truly relax and sort out your thoughts: that’s why you love it.

And lately, the fact that Tao is there too, makes you want to go out for coffee more often. It’s an excuse to see him. The now red haired Tao smiles at you as he sees you walk through the door. Your chest turns warm at the sight of him.  You wonder if he was expecting you to come today.

“The usual?” He asks you, which makes you feel VIP, as he follows you to your table. You nod, and takes a seat by the window facing the busy streets outside.

A bolt of electricity goes through your body as Tao’s hand suddenly touches yours as he reaches out for a used tray that was left. It might be by accident, but it’s enough for you to look up at him. He gives you a heartwarming smile, a smile that reaches his eyes. It’s almost as if he’s… flirting with me. Your eyelashes flutter for a moment at the thought, as you look at his retreating back. Am I imagining things?

To your disappointment a female worker comes over with your coffee a few moments later. After she left, you can’t help but observe Tao from your seat. He’s working diligently, making drinks, helping his coworkers and cleaning with a pleased smile on his lips. He looks like he likes this job.

Another thing you notice is that he doesn’t look back at you.  Yes, I was imagining things…You ponder to yourself as you take a sip of your coffee. Is that a bang of disappointment I feel? You lean back against your chair.

Luhan’s already big, deer-like eyes turn even bigger as he sees how a lot of cruel letters fall out your locker as you were about to get your books for class. He bends down to pick one up to read. , he’s not yours. I told you to stay away. Who do you think you are? The messages are cruel.

“Is someone messing with you? Do you want me to…?” Luhan asks you, worry in his eyes.

You shake your head. “I’m fine.” But you´re not. You just don´t want to show Luhan and Chen your weakness when they have bigger problems to take care of.

You kneel down, gather the papers and throw them away quickly. Luhan starts to help you out and his eyes continue to grow when he reads the messages. Chen regards the two of you in silence. He stands leaning against the lockers with his arms crossed over his chest. It seems as if he’s in deep thoughts. You thought you and Chen became a bit closer, but it seems as if he doesn’t care much about you.

Your chest hurts and you fight your tears. This must be Gina’s doing. Who else could it be? The irritating thing is that you don’t know why she’s bullying you like this when Kris is happy with her. You haven´t even spoken with him for weeks. It gets worse as you realize just how much you miss Kris. Why did it turn out like this?

“Hello guys!” Tao arrives.

The redhead’s smile faces as he sees your distressed expressions. You can see how he connects everything together, and realizes something bad just happened. You take the letters Luhan gathered and throws them into the nearest bin. You don’t want Tao to read this or worry about you. He needs to worry about the people hurting him, not you.

You give him a weak smile as you pass him.”I’m off to class, see you later.” And you run away.

After a tough day, you escape to the library. Gina’s tricks are not severe, but the pain has been building up during the day as insult after insult from her hit you in the face. You feel pathetic as you finally let your tears fall. You lean forward in your chair as your hide your sobs with your hands, trying to make no sound.

Suddenly, your phone vibrates. A text message.

Are you alright? From Tao.

You laugh through your tears. Strangely enough, his message makes it feel a lot better.

Yeah, of course. You answer.

Min looks at you with a pair of wide eyes. You´ve just told her about what happened with Gina, and how you were “saved” by Tao´s text.

“You like him, don’t you?” Min comments.

Your face heats up at her question. “…” And you can’t answer her at first. The thought of you liking him has crossed your mind more than once, if you have to be honest but you´re not sure you like him. Not like you liked Kris.

“You do!” Min concludes, her expression shows her dread.

“No, Min, listen.” You tell her as you´re being logical. “I just fell out of love with Kris. I can’t fall for someone new that quickly.”

“I need to be honest with you.” Min starts. “I don’t think it’s a good idea to fall for Tao.”

“I know what you think.” You frown.

Min has never liked Tao and his friends because of the rumors going around about them and you understand her.

“I can introduce you to a nice guy if you want…?” Min suggests.

“I’m fine.” You shrug.”I shouldn´t be thinking about guys right now.”

Tao is once again covered in cuts. You came to visit since you knew the three of them would hang out at Tao´s place today, but you didn’t expect to walk into this. Luhan tries to joke about it, since he can see that you´re really scared and upset at the moment, but you won’t listen.

“Why are you always fighting?” A whisper leaves you lips.

You put down the plastic bag with snacks you brought with you as you take of your shoes and enters the small apartment. Tao avoids the question, he seems to try to avoid you. Chen looks at you from across the room. His eyes are dark and distant. You can see some bruises on his face as well.

“Who are you fighting? Why are you always getting hurt?” You whisper.

Tao is still not looking at you.

“Tao?” You urge him to talk.

“You know, I can’t tell you that!” Tao shouts angrily as he hits the wall suddenly.

You take a step back in surprise, after you flinched. Tao has never gotten angry or yelled at you before. You stare at him for a moment, unsure what to do. Even Luhan looks at his friend wide-eyed. Instead of letting Tao´s outburst scare you, you gather your courage and say what’s on your mind.

“I know! But how can I help you, protect you, when you won’t trust me??” You´re not scared of Tao.

Another charged silence spread between you.

 “I feel like you´re all … pushing me away.” You say.

Chen snorts, as he shakes his head. He´s about to tell you something but stops as Tao walks across the room. Chen looks at him with disaproval written all across his face. Tao looks at you in a way you can’t describe with words. His almond shaped eyes are dark, yet so warm, as he walks towards you slowly. Watery eyes widen. Before you can react, you´re in his arms. His familiar scent washes over you. Without warning, your heart starts accelerating and a few more tears fall. It surprises you a great deal. You can feel how your whole body is blushing because of the closeness. He whispers your name softly. It sends a shiver down your spine, for a reason unknown to you.

“We´re trying to keep you safe.” He murmurs into your hair.

 “Why do you think you need to …protect me?” You ask him bewildered. “I won’t get hurt.”

Tao is silent, but he holds you closer.

“They have been using people we …care about… to get to us before.” Chen explains in a loud voice from across the room.

Care about? So you´re dear to them, and could be used as bait? This is so bitter-sweet. You put your hands on Tao´s shoulders and you push yourself away from him. He doesn’t try to keep you in his embrace.

“I’m sorry.” Tao murmurs, not looking at you.

You stare at him with a sad frown, wanting him to face you. You touch his face gently, carefully, but he just won´t look at you. Anger mixed with pain starts to boil up inside of you, but you swallow it down forcefully.

“But I think it’s better if you… stayed away from us for a while.” He tells you.

Luhan’s eyes widen and he’s about to object but Chen sends him a stare. Your body turns cold as his words echoes inside of your head. He´s rejecting you, and it hurts. For a moment it feels as if you´re left all alone. It doesn’t help that he says it’s to keep you safe because you never asked him to protect you in the first place.

You look at Tao after taking several steps away from him. “That´s what… you want?” You look at him, hoping he’ll take those words back.

“…Yes.” He swallows saliva, still not looking at you.

A breath leaves your slightly trembling lips. “…Okay…” You nod, feeling very rejected.

Without another word, you leave Tao´s apartment.

Tao, Luhan and Chen hasn’t turned up for school since and although they told you to stay away you can’ help but worry yourself sick. You run your fingers through your messy hair and they get stuck. An irritated sigh leaves your mouth.

You can’t be mad at them for trying to protect you but you´re hurt over the little amount of trust they put in you. It’s hurtful to sit back, while you know they might be out there fighting right now and you can’t do anything to help.

A presence, standing by your table, makes you look up. It’s Kris. Usually, your heart would race upon the sight of him, but now the only thing you feel is irritation and fear of getting hurt. Gina has hurt you when you haven’t even met him, and that makes you wonder what Gina will do to you now.

“Oh, hi.” you look around, worried that Gina is here as well.

“Did something happen?” he asks, looking at you, a bit surprised that you look everywhere but at him.

“What do you mean?” You try to act cool.

“Those guys are not around.”Kris shrugs, referring to Tao, Chen and Luhan.

“…. Doesn´t concern you.” You tell him bitterly.

Your chest hurts.

“I’m worried about you. You´ve …changed.”

You force a smile at him but you can’t bring yourself to answer him. Things have changed. You and Kris are no longer seeing each other every day, texting about everything and nothing. You don´t speak. All because of his possessive girlfriend.

You met Tao, Luhan and Chen and though you found a new place. You were wrong. Min is the only one you can trust to a 100 percent.

“No but seriously, are you ok?” Kris asks again.

“I’ll be alright.” You shrug as you start to pack your stuff. “…If you stay away from me.”

The face Kris makes sends shivers down your spine, in a bad way.  You never like lying to him. You hate hurting him.

“Oh hi.” Gina smiles at you.

The girl must have seen you two talk from her table across the room and decided to say hi.

“Gina, long time now see.”You fake another smile. “Just telling your boyfriend to not waste time here with me. I’m off to a lecture. See you around.”

As you turn your back on Gina and Kris, you can’t see how she glares at you. Shame builds up inside of you as you realize you´re scared of the other girl. So scared, so you´re running away from your former best friend.

”Hurry.” she says, eyes looking everywhere but at you. “Min told me it’s urgent.”

“Alright.” You nod, as you get up from your seat to follow the girl.  Your stomach feels ice cold, as you worry that something has happened to your friend.

A girl, who you haven’t seen before, approached you afteryour last class for the day and told you that Min was in some kind of trouble. Of course, you follow her without a question. The girl, a first year you think, leads you through the hallway on the way to the roof.

“She’s over there.”

“Thanks.”

You take a few steps out on the roof and suddenly the door behind you slams shut. You almost jump out of your skin at the loud sound. The door is locked. Eyes widen, and your heart feels heavy.

“Min!! Are you here?!” You scream, hoping it’s all a mistake, and that you haven’t been tricked. “MIN!!!”

No answer.

A shaky breath leaves your slightly trembling lips. Hands fumble after your phone you thought you had in your pocket, but it’s not there. Did you drop it somewhere? Did someone … take it?

“Is anyone there?!” You shout.

There are very few students who stay this late at school. There’s no way they can hear you from this far up.  You take a few steps back at the realization. No one knows where you are, and you don’t have the means to contact anyone: you´ll be stuck here until morning.

You sit down against the wall as you try to calm yourself down. You´ll be fine, this can’t kill you. You wrap your arms around yourself in an attempt to stay warm. It’s still early spring and cold outside. Of course you didn’t bring your jacket either, since you thought Min would be here and that your talk wouldn’t take long.

I’ll…be alright…

For some reason, Tao´s face pops up, and you wish he´d could come and save you. A silly thought. He won’t find you. He asked you to go, and won’t come looking for you.

He rejected you.