Bully or Victim?

The Rejected

 

The Rejected

Scene 3: Bully or Victim?

Min and you are sitting in the cafeteria, discussing Min’s beloved idols, as you eat lunch. You are not as up to date with the idol world as your friend, but you love seeing her happy face as she talks about how the singers are doing, new albums or scandals. Maybe, you´d be happier if you started to adore an idol like her? You think to yourself as you pierce an innocent pea with your fork.

“Can you introduce me to the world of idols, Min?”

Min’s facial expressions changes drastically, and she smiles broadly at you. She takes your hands in hers and jumps up and down in her chair. Your eyes go wide.

“Let´s go to that café after school, and I can introduce you to some nice men!” She grins wickedly.

Your heart freezes a bit, as you realize that you will go to Tao’s work place for a second time. A sigh leaves your lips as you nod, deciding to go. It’s not like you will go there to see him, only to hang out over a cup of coffee. You don’t like avoiding a place just because of something like that. It’s better to just go there.

Whatever happens happens.

Min seems really happy as she heads off to class.

A bitter aroma lingers as you follow Min as you head to a table by the windows. The weather suddenly turned bad, and both of you are cold and a bit wet. Min complains a bit about it, but you just tell her to order a hot drink today, so she won’t catch a cold. You just got better from yours, and you don’t want to get sick again.

Min pulls up her Ipad from her bag, and starts to show you a lot of music videos of all kinds of KPOP groups as you wait for your drinks.

“Excuse me.” A quite dark voice breaks the silence.

You look up, and meets Tao´s gaze.“Thank you.”You tell him as he hands you your coffee.

For some reason, he must have figured out that you are the one drinking coffee and Min tea. Tao gives you a weak smile, before he hands Min her tea, returning to his “worker-mode”. You can hear how Min giggles, clearly liking Tao´s appearance, as she gets her drink.

“That guy again.” She comments.

“Well, he works here.” You shrug, taking a sip of your coffee.

“True.” She nods. “He´s a bit out of place though…”

You shrug a second time. It seems that Min is a bit intimidated by him. It’s true that his eyes are a bit dark and daunting, and that his style is a bit bad boy-ish, but for some reason, you are slowly thinking less and less about it.

“By the way, I haven’t seen Kris around much lately. Are you ok?” Min changes subject

A bitter sensation takes over, and without thinking, you make a sad grimace. “I’m ok I guess. He’s with Gina.” You shrug, trying to act indifferent.

Kris hasn’t been around lately. It seems as if his girlfriend is getting a bit more demanding. Her name is Gina, and is a quite popular girl at your school. Unlike you, she’s very sociable and has a charming and radiant personality. Even though it hurts to admit it, she’s probably good for him. Kris always… seemed too … joyful and popular …. for you.

“I think he shouldn’t just stop being with you because he got a girlfriend.” Min complains a bit.

It seems that your grimace got worse, because Min starts apologizing for bringing it up. You shake your head. You’re starting to get used to the numbing pain in your chest. It’s constantly there, making your body feel heavy and tired, but it slowly gets better day by day.

“So who is this guy?” You ask, as you point at the screen, changing topic.

“Oh, his name is Onew.” Min explains. “Leader of SHINee.”

You look at him. He has a very nice smile. You wish that someday, a guy would smile at you like that. A smile reserved just for you. But right now, you can’t really imagine that someone would actually care about you like that. Your gaze turns distant and a deep sigh leave your lips. Min looks at you with a concerned face, before she calls Tao over, and orders you a lot of sweets. Your eyes widen.

“Min, there’s no way we can eat all that!” Your voice is a bit more high pitched than usual.

Tao’s eyes moves to you.

“Don’t worry...”Min grins, and waves her hand at you.

“If you can’t, we can provide you with a box to bring it home…” Tao suggest, looking a bit confused.

You let a trouble huff off air escape your lips. Tao’s dark eyes dart to you for a mere second and your cheeks turn pink without a reason.

“Sorry to bother you.” Strange words slip out.

“It’s …fine.” Tao murmurs, looking away suddenly, as he walks away with Min’s order.

Min’s eyes widen a bit, but she doesn’t say anything but you, who also looked away, don’t notice this at all. The two of you dig inn. Min knows you well. After a few bites of a chocolate cake, you´re already feeling a lot better. You eat until you feel like your stomach is going to burst open.

”We are going to get so fat... but I don’t care…” Min leans back in her chair.

You laugh at her.

“I have decided.” You suddenly say out loud. “That I will start over and not let ..stuff… get to me anymore.”

“Let’s find you a boyfriend…”

“That´s n-n-not what I meant!” You stutter in embarrassment before you start laughing. “But, being loved wouldn´t be that bad… would it?”

“You are so innocent!” Min wipes away a fake tear.

Min suddenly looks at her phone, and says that she has to go. You realize it’s raining quite heavily outside, so you decide to stay because you doesn’t have an umbrella. Min waves goodbye as she leaves, and you smile at her back. Feelings of thankfulness make your chest feel warm. A smile graces your lips, as you take a sip of your coffee. You make a grimace when you realize it has gone cold. Sending a glance at the cashier, you gather your courage. You did tell yourself that you wouldn’t let Tao’s presence affect you. You don’t really have anything to do with each other anymore, right?

“Can I get a refill?” You ask him while looking for your wallet.

“Yes.” He takes the cup and pours new hot coffee.

“How much is it?” You ask, when he doesn’t say anything.

“It’s on the house.” He tells you, looking you in the eye for a short moment.

“Oh.” You’re struck by surprise, eyes widen. “Thank you.” But you can’t help but smile at him

Tao´s dark eyes widen a bit before he looks at the ground, cheek turning a tint redder than usual. The uneasiness around him is fading more and more, and soon, he will be like any other guy in your eyes. A giggle leaves your lips. For some reason, you can’t really imagine him fighting. You wonder what really happened to him that night..

“By the way, how long are you open today?” You ask as you smile gently.

“We close at 10PM.” His answer is short and he won’t really look at you.

“Thanks.”Isn’t he… kind of cute? You think to yourself.

You have been sitting at the café for a while, drinking coffee and studying, when it’s time for them to close. A female employee tells you politely to get ready. You bow her way while you get your stuff. It seems that Tao got off his shift earlier, and you just missed him. You leave with a shrug of your shoulders. It’s not like you know each other, and he’d be upset with you if you didn’t say goodbye.

Cold air hits you in the face as you exit the café. You hug yourself, missing the warmth, as you turn around the corner of the building. A sudden sound makes you flinch and your body freezes. However, curiosity killed the cat, and you look towards the source of sound. Eyes widen in fright.

In a dark, narrow alley, two men are holding a man from the behind, while another keeps on hitting him. It’s a three against one situation, and the man has no chance to fight back. They are simply beating him up while laughing like maniacs. Your whole body turns to ice. Your head tells you to run away, to save yourself but your body won’t move. Your heart aches as you hear the man grunt in pain. You close your eyes and they widen in realization. It’s Tao. It’s not some unlucky stranger, but Tao getting beaten up in a totally unfair situation. A sudden anger rises inside you. He’s a victim, not a bully!

“Stop it!” You have no idea how you gathered the courage to speak but you can’t take it back now.

They stare at you, wide eyed, and you swallow your saliva in fear. The one who was punching Tao takes two steps towards you, with a terrifying expression on his face.  Tao turns around, panting heavily, and his eyes widen in an inhuman manner as he spots you. It makes your heart stop beating for a second.

“Why are you here?!” He asks you in ragged breathes “Leave, hurry!”

You can’t help but stumble backwards in surprise. Tao’s expression is scaring you, and his voice is so different from the low, slightly mumbling voice he uses as a waiter at the café. You won’t let go of his gaze.

“So, this is the backup you talked about? A girl?” One of the men scoffs as he takes a hold of Tao’s pitch black hair, and forces him to stare into his eyes, forcefully breaking your eye contact. “A girl?”

Tao grit his teeth as he fights the hold on his head. Dark eyes glance your way again.  His whole being tells you to run and leave him but you simply can’t. How can you leave him when you know he’ll be beaten badly, until he can’t walk? Just like the cold night you found him some weeks ago? You wouldn’t be able to forgive yourself or look Tao in the eye again if you ran now.

Even though you are merely strangers whose paths has crossed more than once.

“Stop it right now, I’m calling the police.” You fake a confident voice as you show them your cell phone. “Oh hello? A gang of guys are….”

“Guys, let’s run!” One of them yells.

The leader is about to tell them something when the two others let go of Tao and runs for it. Being left alone, the leader simply scoffs as he gives Tao, who has fallen to his knees, a last punch before he turns around.

“Tao!”

A pair of ice cold black eyes stares at you for what feels like an eternity. You’re so scared, and a deep breath leaves your lips as he leaves. You shake your head, and run up to Tao that’s on the ground.

“Are you ok? Tao!” Your voice sounds pathetic to your own ears as you kneel down next to him, touching his shoulder gently. “Should I call an ambulance?”

Tao doesn’t reply and it worries you. You hold his body, and tries to make sure his head won’t touch the dirty ground. You can feel how his chest is falling and rising quickly, he is out of breath.

“No…” He murmurs. “I’m… fine.”

You stay silent, while your mind is going like crazy. He’s not fine  at all!

You bite your lower lip. “I’ll take you home. I need to thank you, for that free coffee after all.” You make up a silly excuse to be able to make sure he gets home safely.

Tao’s apartment is tiny.  It’s basically one small room with a bed, a kitchen in the corner and a door: probably the bathroom.  You help Tao sit down at his bed.

“Will you be ok?” You ask him.

“Yeah.”He murmurs, not looking at you. “Aren’t you… afraid of me?”

“I… “ You look for words. “Truthfully speaking, I was scared, but you have never done anything to hurt me and it wasn’t you who were hitting them in an unfair situation….”

Tao looks at you with such gentle eyes, it makes you lose your breath for a moment. It’s like he’s relieved, like a burden or worry left his mind. You smile hesitantly at him and a chuckle escape your lips. Tao’s eyes seem to brighten up a great deal, and he laughs a bit too.  

The two of you look at each other and it seems like all the hesitation and awkwardness between you vanishes.

“I’ll see you at school?” You ask him as you’re heading for the door.

“See you tomorrow.” Tao answers with a smile.