An Old Friend II

Diminishing Sands

 

“L.Joe! Y-Your f-fingertips!”

It was time. L.Joe’s fingertips had started to turn into sand and soon his entire body will be nothing but sand.

“I guess my time’s up…” L.Joe speaks nonchalantly.

Honestly, it angers me that L.Joe can be so nonchalant about this whole situation – he’s dying for goodness sakes and yet he has time to sound as if he doesn’t care! He cracks a smile and by then his hands have disintegrated.

I carefully place Myungsoo on the cave grounds and head towards L.Joe’s side.

“Why are you being like this!?” I blurt out, seemingly frustrated with his attitude.

L.Joe looks at me in shock but something takes over… Anger?

“Why did you leave!?” He yells out, suddenly changing the topic.

Taken aback, I was left blank for a while.

I look at him and he looks at me. His eyes show a mix of hurt and betrayal.

“Why did you leave?” He asks once again, but in a softer, pained tone.

I lower my head, “I-I… I’m sorry…” Feeling inferior, it was all I could utter.

He sighs before saying, “It’s because of him – that Myungsoo guy – right?” L.Joe spits out Myungsoo’s name with venom.

It was true. I had fallen for Myungsoo after encountering him at the border between the Frost Lands and the Dry Lands. He was an estranged fellow back then – always alienating himself from the rest of the world, but his “weirdness” attracted me to him. Without word, I eventually left my homeland to be with Myungsoo. Back then, I hadn’t given much thought of whom I might hurt, my actions were made in the spur of the moment.

“I wasn’t thinking-“ “You never do!” L.Joe violently cuts me off.

He continues softly, “You never care to think of what others might feel… You knew how I felt and yet you just left for him.”

My eyes start to water and then tears start to stream down my face.

~*~*~

I weep a never-ending flow of tears as I engrave L.Joe’s name on a tree that holds many precious memories.

"In loving memory..."