Children

Diminishing Sands

 

 

Our pace is slow today… I worry; Krystal is getting weaker and weaker as the time passes and the cracks have made their way to the very left of her face. Where the hell is this cure?

“They’re watching us…” Krystal whispers.

It is only now that I notice that we’re being watched. I should’ve figured.

“How many?” I ask.

Krystal had always been the superior when it comes to sensing Yoma – she could even spot one 10 miles away

“Three – no!” Krystal abruptly pauses. Her brows furrow and her lips move, silently calculating. “There are three nearby, one female and two males. There is a fourth watching from afar, a male; he seems to be the leader.” Krystal informs.

“The leader – the one watching from afar – he too is inflicted with the disease… The other three…” Krystal’s voice is overshadowed with sympathy and sadness. “The other three seem to be in a state of vulnerability – they’re young and afraid to be left on their own.” Krystal looks at me as she says the last few words. Her emotions muddy and unclear.

Rustles are made and soon the three Yomas are in plain sight. Young Children around the age of-

“The girl is 9; both boys – identical twins – are 11.” Krystal speaks as if reading my mind.

Without warning, the two boys pace towards us but are stopped. “Stop!” The little girl commands the two and almost immediately do they halt.

The boy with shaggy black hair speaks whiningly, “But! Why not?” He drags the last word, emphasizing his disagreement.

The girl glares at the shaggy-haired boy and he cowers. “You fool! They are far too strong – even if we outnumber them, we’ll be dead in less then a minute.” The young girl nags.

The two boys return – dejected – to stand next to the clearly dominant one in the trio.  The boy with the blonde shaggy hair whispers to the 9-year-old, occasionally glancing at us – no – Krystal.

“Myungsoo!” Krystal shrieks.

A numbing sensation goes over me, until I was deprived of my senses.