Conscious

Diminishing Sands

 

 

I wake up seeing a pit of fire right in front of me. Sitting up right, I take in my surroundings; cave-y and empty.

“I’m glad you’re up.” Krystal’s voice breaks the silence in the small cave.

I smile and turn my head towards the entrance. I immediately jump up on my feet and briskly walk up to her, stumbling in the process. Krystal faintly smiles as I place my palm on her cheek. She looks at me hollowly, still wearing that faint smile.

Frowning, I ask, “It has already covered half of your face… Just how long have I been out?”

Krystal looks away shyly but answers in a form of a question, “Three days?”

Her eyes meet mine and it is only now that I notice the sadness engraved in them. I try to make out the reason behind her emotions, but it is no use unless I ask Krystal directly.

“Is it because of me?” I ask but Krystal lightly shakes her head.

“Then who-“ I am unable to continue as Krystal abruptly starts tear.

Her tears fall but her face stays monotonous. Wrapping my arms around her, I encase Krystal in an overdue embrace.

~*~*~

We continue our quest to find the cure in silence.

“What happened while I was unconscious? The three kids from back then, what happened to them?” I blurt out.

Krystal focuses on the snowy path but simply answers, “Gone.”

Krystal intends for the “conversation” to drop, but I intend to carry on.

“There was another one, the leader, what happened to the leader?” I ask.

It takes a second longer for Krystal to respond.

“Gone…” She says it differently this time, almost… brokenly.