Cracks

Diminishing Sands

 

I see myself gradually dying in a pitch-black room with a spotlight solely focused on my withering body. At the center of my chest, where the heart is placed, cracks start to form like the ones found in the Dry Lands. The cracks start to spread themselves around my body until it was fully covered in the jagged black lines. Starting at the fingertips, my body diminishes into nothing but a pile of sand…

~*~*~

She sits on a rocking chair by the window of our hotel room, rocking back and forth melancholy as she looks at the dead landscape.

“Myungsoo…” She speaks lightly without sparing any glances at me.

“Is there anything you need, Krystal?” I ask.

Krystal abruptly stops her rocking. Her eyes widen and so do mine. Quickly, I take her by the hand, pulling her into a tight embrace. Krystal’s hold around my waist tightens and I can feel her urge to let out a pain-induced scream. A few seconds later, Krystal’s body lies limp in my hold.

I carry Krystal’s unconscious body to the bed and lay beside her. I lightly pull down on the rounded collar of her loose shirt. Frowning, I stop and bring the velvet cover over us. Bringing our bodies together, I rest my head on top of hers and wrap my arm around her waist.

It’s growing at a faster rate than I would have thought.