The Sensitivity

Mission: Make Her A Woman

 

                    
 
To say that Monday's filming wasn't awkward would be an understatement. 
 
Sunday morning everyone had quietly sneaked out Kim Jong Kook's house as they woke up, quickly dialing their homes to explain. Suk Jin's wife had unfortunately already dialed the police as he never informed her about the actual date of the party. Thankfully 24 hours hadn't passed and she could easily withdraw it after giving her wayward husband a piece of her mind.
 
Ji Hyo had surprisingly woken up in the guest bedroom and had peeked into the master bedroom to see the Running Men sprawled all over the place. She had righted poor Joong Ki who seemed to have half-slipped from the arm chair and was in a position that could leave him hurting for days. Jae Suk oppa and Haroro were gone and Gary oppa was making tea (the only available beverage in the cupboard) in the kitchen.  She leaned down and patted Menboong on the head as he scurried around her - the little dog was a treasure and with his big round eyes he gave the impression of being in constant shock, living up to his name. Chuckling lightly she thought of how Jong Kook oppa often joked that he chose Menboong out of all the big manly dogs because he wanted the puppy to compensate for his own tiny eyes. Quickly stifling her giggle, she too made her way to the door quietly before anyone could stop her. 
 
She, being a pro at drinking, should be past the stage of forgetting drunken acts. However the reality was much different. She could still pretend like she could remember but it hardly helped matters in her own mind's landscape. Today's embarrassment, of course, was not only getting drunk and sleeping over with seven grown men (yes, she was conservative like that) but because she seemed to remember nothing after chugging more and more soju despite having caused such pandemonium with her tears earlier because of the liquor.  
 
"Ya, Song Ji Hyo, if you have to act like that, don't drink again!" Gary admonished as soon as he saw her coming out of her van on Monday, looking like she was still hungover from day before. Everyone except Ha Ha - who was late yet again - turned to the two. 
 
"It's not really Ji Hyo's fault" Jae Suk offered carefully, still wary after her breakdown at the party. 
 
Fear constricted Jong Kook's heart. They had seen it. They had seen Ji Hyo kissing him. The only good thing probably was that the criminal herself seemed blank about it. Jong Kook, the rookie drinker, ironically recalled the very details, though he was yet to understand them. He had no idea why he acted the way he did and he really hoped that Ji Hyo doesn't go around taking advantage of drunk men. He reasoned that the drink could be blamed but that hardly erases the images and the sensations from his brain. It was peculiar, definitely. This was not how he had imagined to progress in their plan of changing their perception about the girl. 
 
"See now..." He tried to protest feebly.
 
"Hyung, don't protect him again." Gary then turned to Gwang Soo who gave a pure baffled look to his hyungs. "You! How much did you drink to act like that??"
 
Gwang Soo could only gape like a fish out of water while Ji Hyo started pestering Suk Jin for details, worried that they did something they would regret. 
 
Jong Kook turned to his freakishly tall dongseng, his eyes narrowing in suspicion. What the hell happened? Did Ji Hyo... Gwang Soo... Gwang Soo too? No! This girl is going to be the death of him. 
 
"What happened? Will someone be a bit more clear?" He walked closer to the group, dragging a confused Giraffe behind him. 
 
"I should have clicked a picture! I told you! Now YOU explain it in words." Gary turned accusingly to Jae Suk.
 
"Yes, Gary, and leave photographic evidence for the media to have a field day about." Suk Jin replied sarcastically.
 
Gwang Soo was in a shock. He clearly remembered noona playing with his hair before he closed his eyes and blushed as he realized that he was only wearing Jong Kook hyung's pants at the moment. Did he do something in his sleep? His imagination was running haywire and seeing noona's burning face, he could only imagine what she must be thinking. 
 
"Actually, I took a picture." Ha Ha called sheepishly from behind the filming crew's van. He cringed at Jae Suk's glare and then quickly busied himself with his phone's image gallery. Muttering a quick 'Eureka!' as the said picture was found, he turned the phone towards the members.
 
There was a dull THUNK and the next moment Gwang Soo was on his knees clutching his head. Ji Suk Jin's reflexes weren't as slow as they seemed on the show; his hand had connected with Gwang Soo's shaggy head within seconds of looking at the picture. 
 
The Elder hardly remembered much from the night but he couldn't imagine what lead to this particular predicament. He knew the Giraffe was very comfortable with Ji Hyo but this would be inappropriate even between friends, especially when she is his noona. This boy really had no sense of the body; first that incident when he tried to help her wipe tea off her chest, now this. 
 
Jong Kook's eyes widened to their maximum at what he saw. His arm was visible on the left side of the photo but the rest of the picture was what interested him. On his own bed, Gwang Soo was sleeping, latching on to Ji Hyo like a baby monkey - his head buried in her t-shirt and his limbs tangled around her. 
 
The 90's idol looked probably as bewildered as the guilty young man nursing his head, but he was also slightly disgusted. It was like watching - something he had made the mistake of watching once due to Jae Suk hyung's provocation. Needless to say, it was horrific, especially to his conservative sensibilities. 
 
"Ya! Lee Gwang So, you ! Do you want to live like that?" Ji Hyo launched herself at her dongseng, trying to hit whatever part of his body was accessible to her. She wasn't really angry as it would be quite hypocritical of her to do that, considering her own list of embarrassing drunken acts, but a girl has to react in a way under such circumstances. Besides its better for him to get beaten by her than the hyungs. "Do you really want to live taking advantage of a drunk person?" She railed shrilly.
 
Jong Kook couldn't help but snort at that last comment of hers. 
 
"Noona, I was drunk!! Besides, you are so old, why would I do tha------"
 
THUNK.
 

 

"Let's ally together"
 
"With you? Yeah, right."
 
"Why, why, why? Are you still angry about earlier?"
 
"We are on camera!" A motion of "edit out that part" followed. "You are the icon of betrayal, and weak. What do I get by allying with you?"
 
"I will lure Jae Suk hyung here!" 
 
"I can handle him on my own!"
 
"Aish, Noona! I will out Ha Ha hyung then, how about that?"
 
"Why are you pestering me again? I will not return the keys no matter what you do."
 
"But I need my car! I live in Namyangju!"
 
"Take the subway."
 
"Ayye, you old hag!" THUNK. "Okey, I'll do whatever you want."
 
"Whatever?"
 
"I am not doing anything weird!" THUNK.
 
"What do you think I can use you, Giraffe, for?"
 
"Noona, you are being scary again."
 
"Get me the Tiger"
 

 

Jong Kook sensed commotion behind him and flattened himself against the wall, his senses flaring up. People weren't far off the mark when they called him a carnivore; it was probably because of the chase that made all his nerve ends come alive. He was an entirely different person in the Running Man games; immersed in them so much that he often forgot that this was all variety television.
 
The Two Kids appeared from around the bend but immediately tensed when they saw him and his VJ. Even though the three would always be together usually, individual battles always had them on opposite sides, which were more often than not, Jong Kook vs. Rest. He ruefully rationalized that it was none of their fault; war strategy demands alliance of the weak against the strongest rather than with the strongest, when there is going to be only one winner. He was well aware that he was the strongest when it came to the nametag missions. 
 
"Aedira! Wait for a minute!" He called out to them, prompting them to run in the opposite direction instead. 
 
Sigh. It's always lonely, such missions. 
 
He moved to the second floor and happened upon another meandering herbivore. 
 
"Gwang Soo ya, where are you going?" He called out softly.
 
"ARGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!" 
 
He rushed to the fallen dongseng and tried to calm his distraught nerves. "Ya, why do you get so startled?"
 
"Hyung, are you trying to give me heart attack?" Gwang Soo cried, clutching his heart with one hand and his other arm twisted behind his back to protect his nametag.
 
"What? ... Arasso, arasso. Hyung will let you go in return. For now."
 
Gwang Soo bowed ninety degrees in gratitude and turned to make his escape. His own mission was battling with his cowardice in his mind; finally his desire for his car keys won and he turned to face the Commander again.
 
Jong Kook was debating whether to call back the Betrayer back just to keep him company, when he saw Gwang Soo coming toward him again. His brain slipped into survival mode once again as he bounced slightly on heels, ready to pounce at any hostile gesture by the Giraffe.
 
"Jong Kook hyung"
 
"Yeh, Gwang Soo."
 
"Let's work together"
 
Jong Kook laughed. "Icon of Betrayal. What do I need you for?"
 
Gwang Soo clenched his teeth at this hyung and at that noona. They were too perceptive for their own good.
 
"I know where Ji Hyo noona is hiding"
 
"And I should believe you, why?"
 
"Just because."
 
Chuckle. "Just because?"
 
"Aiyye, hyung!"
 
"Okey, I'll just humour you now. But I am warning you, I won't go easy if you don't keep that betraying itch under control." Jong Kook patted Gwang Soo's nametag warningly, making the younger man twitch with fear.
 
They made their way to the fourth floor where Ji Hyo noona had told him to meet in 20 minutes. 
 
"Is Ji Hyo still mad at you?"
 
"Neh, hyung"
 
"She'll come around." Jong Kook offered. "Or you can shift to Thailand"
 
"Neh, hyung"
 
"But you should really be more considerate."
 
"Neh, hyung"
 
"It would also help if you apologize. If you drunkenly murder a person, that are hardly grounds for suing the soju company"
 
"Neh, hyung"
 
"You should also be more conscious around her. She is a woman, after all."
 
"Neh, hy--- No. She is a sly fox, not a woman."
 
"What did you say?" Ji Hyo's voice came from the cubicle to their left. They were scorched by the anger radiating from her as she stood up from her hiding place and started to walk towards the pair. Bad Ji Hyo was making an appearence and Jong Kook his lips in anticipation of the adrenaline rush he experienced every time he met a worthy opponent.
 
As she approached them, Jong Kook suddenly felt weighed down by his now complete realization that she was a woman. His mind went in hyperdrive with the dilemma as he thought about what to do - he felt shy in attacking her in the usual manner but he was aware that she won't be holding out at all when she attacks. And she was still a member; it will wound his pride to lose to any of them intentionally. Fortunately, his dilemma was waylaid for the moment as he felt Gwang Soo's hand on his back. 
 
Spinning out the reach of the long limbs in a blink, he felt rage filling his lungs. Keeping a lookout for Ji Hyo from the corner of his eye, he roared at Gwang Soo. "YOU! WHAT ARE YOU DOING? DO YOU WANT TO DIE?"
 
"You trusted him, Oppa? Him? Did you make a pact to out me?" Ji Hyo asked in a wounded voice. Internally, she wished Gwang Soo will keep on distracting him so that she can get a shot at his nametag.
 
"Anya, Ji Hyo ya, Oppa was just coming to talk to you." He replied innocently while keeping his eyes firmly on the shifty Giraffe. He saw the slight shift of muscles in the thin calves and launched himself to his right just as Gwang Soo lunged at Ji Hyo. Five minutes later Jong Kook would realize that he should have let Gwang Soo out Ji Hyo to absolve himself from the task and then should have simply ousted Gwang Soo himself. However, protecting her from the Giraffe was predominant in his mind that moment. 
 
Gwang Soo had caught hold of her nametag but so had he and while Gwang Soo was pulling at it with his whole might, it was no competition to his own strength. 
 
"Ya, you!" Ji Hyo was shouting, shocked at Gwang Soo's betrayal. Why she was so shocked Jong Kook didn't wait to ask, as she started a litany of curses which would surely get this scene edited slightly in the SBS office. Besides his mind was suddenly preoccupied with something other than protecting the nametag his hand clutched against her back. 
 
Their scuffle had somehow led to Ji Hyo's lithe body in his arms and her attempts to get away from Gwang Soo only brought her further closer. Not only was her trust that he won't tear her nametag gratifying, but this scent - strawberries and orange blossoms - that lingered in her hair was altogether too distracting. He was sure that this was the fragrance that often came from her but he was too sensitive to the girl now to take particular notice of it. His hands remembered the texture of the chocolate tresses that were brushing against his chin right now, much like his chin remembered her lips.
 
Jong Kook blushed as she bumped into him again and he shot out his free hand to catch Gwang Soo's attacking arm, effectively caging the woman between him and the Giraffe, and against his form. This was so not his day. How will he ever get any nametag mission done if he can't shake off the feeling of her? This was Ji Hyo for God's sake! When did she becoming so... so...so womanly? Was she always so feminine, physically? Another bump into him dispelled all doubts as he realized that she was perhaps more womanly than the young idols he often had to piggyback on the show. The thought made his ears burn and jolted him out of the inappropriate thoughts. He had to take control of the situation before it spirals out of his control. He pried the Giraffe's fingers from the nametag and pushed Ji Hyo away to safety. He didn't notice the gestures the Giraffe was making at the enraged woman behind his back, he didn't even notice the nod she replied with as he turned back to face the betraying dongseng.
 
He should have realized if his senses hadn't been dulled by the shyness he experiences around the members of the other . He should have realized that it was all a ruse. Unfortunately he didnt.
 
The same Ji Hyo he had been protecting came after his own tag within seconds and while he was able to catch both her hands in his own before she could oust him, he heard her shout "Gwang Soo ya, NOW!" and heard the RIP! before he the time to react.
 
Jong Kook jerked around and backed to give both of them furious and betrayed looks; but Ji Hyo had already snatched his nametag from Gwang Soo's hand and was doing a happy dance with it. He didn't care much for Gwang Soo's betrayal as he was by now used to it but he couldn't forgive hers. As a silent revenge, he didn't warn Ji Hyo when seconds later the 'ally' Giraffe ousted her mid-dance. 
 
 

 
"What, What happened?" Ha Ha asked as the silently fuming pair entered the Jail. 
 
Except Gwang Soo and Gary, everyone else had found their way to the Jail and were quite shocked to hear that the Commander and Ace were both ousted within seconds of each other. Such things rarely happened and they regreted getting ousted earlier because without these two in the arena, their own chances were pretty high. 
 
The Suk brothers exchanged glances as the Ji Hyo came and sat on the chair furthest from other empty seats with an expression which was a mixture of guilt and frustration. Jong Kook remained standing, too agitated to sit, waiting for the Giraffe to arrive in the Jail so that he could channel his frustrations. 
 
"Ya, Kim Kook Jong, are you angry again? Miss Mong did you do something?" Jae Suk asked.
 
"Jong Kook Oppa, I am sorry. It's just a ga---" Ji Hyo tried to smooth over her betrayal, guilty at tricking the oppa who almost instinctively protects her. Her competitiveness sometimes just gets better of her and she ends up in such situations. 
 
"Hyung, she is a sly fox, not a woman." Jong Kook informed Jae Suk in Gwang Soo's words, interrupting the apology without sparing her a glance. He turned to leave for some fresh air while Gwang Soo chose that unfortunate moment to enter the room. 
 
 
THUNK.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

Hello, everyone! Sorry for the late update. College is crazy these days. 

I really wish I could make the chapter longer, though. Hope you like it!

Also, suggestions are welcome as I am the kind to never have a definite story in mind but go along with what comes to mind. 

Annyeo! :D