;; 6

Between Two Towers

Yifan was seated on the jet black swivel chair inside his office, legs crossed elegantly with his eyes fixed at the folder he opened earlier. He was viewing some kind of files for the meeting for the next few minutes when the door shot open revealing a man that was somehow familiar and his assistant panting, with her hand on her chest.

“Mr. Wu, I’m sorry but he ran all the way here.” She said, her lips quivered in concern and also fear that she might earn an earful of scold later all because of this.

“It’s okay Ms. Ying. Just go back to your office and do your work.” He said, calm and collected. He stood up from his comfort, placed the white folder on the table and walked slowly towards the man. His eyes shifted at the side and saw his assistant retreating away, “Have we met somewhere?” He asked.

Yifan doesn’t know if he was just imagining things or it did happened but he thought that he heard a click of a tongue from him. “Yes Mr. Wu, we already saw each other in the hospital earlier.” He punched his hand inside his pocket.

Yifan furrowed his brows, creases formed on his forehead.

“Jongup, Moon Jongup. I’m his guardian.” Chanyeol continued after seeing how confused Mr. Wu was.

The folds started to disappear as Yifan finally realized and also remembered where he met the guy. He nodded slowly. “What brought you here?” he asked.

“The deal you gave to the kid, I want to say that you should forget about it because I and Jongup will never accept it.” He gritted his teeth as he pulled his hand and threw the business card that Yifan gave to Jongup earlier.

Yifan leaned down, arm reaching the crumpled card on the ground. “Apparently I asked Mr. Jongup himself not you. It is his life, his decision not yours.” He said before walking around his table to trash the card to the trash can placed in the small space on the ground.

“I know what’s best for Jongup, and this, this is completely far from it.” Chanyeol said with his tone levelling to the calmness of Yifan but somehow it was a pitch a bit higher than the latter.

“Who are you to decide that? I’m giving him a decision that can make his life much easier. Rehabilitation and things doesn’t cost just a dime Mr. Guardian-of-Jongup.”

“I watched Jongup break, I watched him fixing himself, I watched him loathe, I watched him cried and even saw him as lifeless as a dead body can be.”

“It’s not enough, that is never enough.” Yifan had his eyes fixed on Chanyeol’s face. He started to grow really irritated to the man in front of him.

Chanyeol bit the corner of his lip as he eyed him. His knuckles clenched and unclenched as he a fierce battle of stares, and obviously none of them wants to back down.

The door swung open once again. “Yifa---“ Suho blinked as the guys looked at him. “err …”

Before Suho could even continue what he was about to say, Chanyeol turned and gave Yifan a dirty look. “Don’t you dare go to Jongup again, and mark my words Mr. Wu Fan, this deal is just a waste of your time.” He said before walking straight to the door, wide shoulders hitting Suho which made the latter stumble backwards.

 

“What was that!?” Suho said exasperatedly, quite upset about what happened earlier. “That was just rude!” He said before sloppily falling back to the seat.

“I … forgot to ask his name, but he said that he is Jongup’s friend.” He said, his fingers on his temple trying to ease the sudden headache he got after that.

Suho suddenly shut his mouth up after hearing it. “Oh … what did he said?”

Yifan shook his head. He was dead tired of everything all of a sudden. He turned his chair around and watched the skyscrapers blocking his supposedly view of a sky. “Why should things be so complicated when this can be easily fixed by just signing some papers?” He said with a sigh on the end.

Suho eyed his friend worriedly. “There are things in the world that can’t be fixed by just numbers and words Yifan. People have emotions, and unfortunately that guy from before has too much of it.”


 

The next day came, Jongup was on the bed, eyes on the small radio that Chanyeol brought from home. A song played peacefully from it. The clock ticked along with the piano that was coming from radio. It read 10 am, he sighed. The door opened when Jongup looked at it, he was already expecting it. The same nurse came, it was a guy, he doesn’t know him nor does he want to know.

“Are you okay Mr. Moon?” The guy suddenly asked.

It was the first time that Jongup heard him talk. It was soft and nice, it felt home to be honest. He got the same vibe whenever he talked to Kyungsoo, that same motherly feeling, that scent of home, that warm knowing that someone cares for you, he felt that with Kyungsoo, with his friend and now from this nurse.

“I’m fine..” He meekly said.

Jongup doesn’t meant to be mean, or disinterested, but he was. He wanted to block everything out in this moment. Pity, that’s the least he wanted to feel from someone. It was a mistake to look at the male’s face for a long time, that was what Jongup realized when curiosity took over him.

Eyes resemble those to a feline, lips curved awkwardly yet nice, cheeks full and white, nurse fixed neatly but still in style.

“Oh, then if you do need anything, Please do use that buzzer just beside your head and I will surely go here as quick as I can.” The nurse said before disappearing before him.

Peace, he thought that he finally had it, that was until the door opened again. Jongup looked irritably at it. Then what he saw didn’t please him at all. It was the same black suit again, that blonde hair styled sideways, that professional aura that suddenly filled the room, nope he doesn’t like it at all.

A sigh escaped from his lips as quietly as possible. The man placed his suitcase on a table before he pulled a monoblock chair from the sides and placed it just beside his bed. “Good morning Jongup.” He smiled.

Jongup remained stoic towards him. It was his first time, he thought, that he saw him smile and he couldn’t really say that it was not appealing. “Yes Mr. Wu.” He murmured.

“If we’re going to talk about the case again, please I don’t want to hear it so early in the mor---“

“Don’t worry Jongup, it’s not my intention to bring that up today. I just want to talk to you.”

If Jongup wasn’t only taught to be a nice kid, he could’ve already scoffed, and rolled his eyes at him.

“The day is great outside, would to like to go outside?”

“I’m pretty much sure you know my condition, Mr. Wu.”

Yifan’s smile faltered for a bit, why was this kid so snarky today? He thought.

“Don’t worry, I’ll take you out.” Yifan said before he pushed the buzzer beside Jongup.

 

 

The day was indeed nice. The trees were bright, the sky was blue. Different types of person in their own condition were in the garden in the middle of the hospital. Jongup clutched the unfamiliar coldness of the steel bars of the wheelchair as he was pushed by Yifan himself.

He doesn’t know why he even accepted his offer. Maybe just to shut him off, or maybe he just really needed some fresh air. Either way he obviously likes the change of view. The kids were on the other side of the garden, playing with their bright red ball. On the other side there were adults talking about life and their conditions. Some comforted the other while the others laugh when a funny joke came up.

He suddenly missed his friends, Jongin and Kyungsoo. He figured that they might’ve been on a date right now. Then Chanyeol suddenly came in the picture. He wondered what his would he be doing right now, maybe work? Jongup figured knowing that he needed it, they needed it.

“-ever knew that you smil- … Jongup?”

Jongup snapped from his thoughts. His eyes went away from the scene to the man behind him. “What?”

Yifan shook his head, smiled then continued walking around with Jongup in front of him. “You’re being extra light headed right now. Is there something bothering you?”

Jongup shook his head as he watched the grass slowly passed beside him. “Nothing. How about you? You’re being too nice right now.”

Yifan smiled and looked at Jongup’s head. “Hmm … really?”

“Yes .. and its creepy.”

Yifan didn’t expect that, a stifled laugh came out from his lips. “Wow that was a childish thing to say.”

Jongup turned around again and glared at him.

The older male brought his hands up in the air. “Just kidding.”

“I never thought that we could actually talk like this.” Yifan continued as his hand went back to the wheelchair and started pushing him again.

Me too. Jongup thought, his lips lined and pursed tightly.

“Why … aren’t you mad at me? Or even in my family? Why … are you acting too … calm about it?” Yifan asked.

It took Jongup exactly 5 seconds to respond. “It’s no use getting angry at something. It’s no use to cry over spilled milk.” He said.

 “Still, its unnatural.”

“So you prefer me thrashing around, calling you names, asking the police to shove you out of my room, to make myself remember that day every time?”

Yifan found himself shaking his head. No in the matter of fact, he doesn’t want that to happen.

“See, I’m already doing both of us a favor, why still ask?” Jongup asked.

And that was the time when Yifan realized that he hated that stale voice of his.

 

 


Author's note.

Well this took longer than i expected o.O it took me months to finish a single update. I wanted to apologize again for being such an irresponsible me.

I don't know what's going on, i just found writing too tiring. Life is really harsh for me, everytime i tried making something good out of it, life would bluntly crush everything for me.

I don't know if you guys can feel what i am feeling right now, but it is really tiring to be frank.

Thanks for not unsubscribing, for waiting and also for reading. I'll try my best to finish this fanfic! so don't worry, i might take an awful lot of time to update it but i'm sure that i'll bring you guys to the ending of this fanfic. Mark my words my dear readers, i'll bring you to the end of this au!

Till we meet again!!