Goodbye, Hello

Dear Love: Rewind

 

Goodbye, hello
 

Yoona was surrounded by eager classmates who would roar in cheers at the sound of her name.

She was a known ulzzang, modeling for dresses and accessories, even creams and lotions online and on magazines.

She was good friends with everyone but was especially close to Sooyoung and Yuri. Together, they dominated the school with achievements from dancing, swimming and posing for well known photographers.

One person they can't outshine though was Taeyeon.

Kim Taeyeon catapulted the Academy to fame during the end of freshman year. She was a local celebrity the time she returned to class as a junior. She was a year their sunbae and her talents ranged from hosting, singing or simply directing. It all began when she had won an impromptu contest at a fair. She was promptly recruited by Radio Seoul, a popular station in Korea. She began hosting every weekend after that. It would’ve earned her at least a lifetime achievement award in her upcoming graduation.

Sooyoung’s dancing prowess and Yuri’s agile swimming had won the Academy more spotlight that it already had. Even their hoobae, Seohyun, was noted for her academic achievements and won them awards left and right.

Yoona was insecure that her friends were so talented and smart.

All she was good at was looking pretty.

This made her sit in silence while she waited for the results. Everyone knew she was going to win, but she felt undeserving. If there was a person to thank for her success, wasn’t it her parents since they provided her with good genes?

Leeteuk took center stage again, thanking the invigorating performance of CN BLUE whilst preparing to announce the winners.

Yoona gripped her Yuri's hand when Leeteuk mentioned they needed to say something on stage. She didn't think she had anyone to thank but her parents and sponsors. Would that be enough though? What if they expect more from the girl whose been overseas for shoots?

"You'll do fine."  Yuri held her hand, heating up Yoona's hands before she freezes from nervousness. She did almost a hundred shoots already but had always felt gitters before doing anything. 

"Jamkanman." Sooyoung excused herself for a moment and headed for Eunhyuk and Donghae's table. Yoona couldn't see who else was there but she wondered what Sooyoung may be up to.

"Me too, Yuri. I need to do something real quick." She said as she stood and walked the opposite direction.

Onew handed Leeteuk a white envelop. The whole gym went silent, eagerly anticipating the results.

The only one not paying attention was Seohyun and Yonghwa.

•••••••

Yonghwa had to wait for Seohyun to finish counting the votes and it had upset him that she took her time in making sure things were in order. He felt like she had no urgency to hurry and listen to him play.

Seohyun had not come to understand Yonghwa yet. To her, the responsibility placed by Onew came first. He should know that, right? But he was acting as if she had a choice in the matter. Well, she didn't. She didn’t prefer counting the ballot either, but it was trust placed to her by everyone. She planned to fulfill that. She crossed her arms and kept saying words like, "Araseo." and "Mianhamnida." mostly because it felt like she had to.

Perhaps if she heard his Banmal song, it might just occur to her that she should at least drop the honorifics.

Yonghwa was unlike Leeteuk and Siwon in many ways. He was a sensitive boy, which made perfect sense since he is an artist in his own right; a person who not only sung but is also in charge of writing the lyrics.

She leaned her head over to his shoulder, as Taeyeon instructed when she feels that he is overreacting. "Mianhamnida, Yonghwassi." she said. "It won't happen again."

Although he would’ve been happier if she talked in a more casual manner; this, he decided, was all he needed from her.

•••••••

Tiffany and Siwon decided to visit the white tree before heading back to the gym. She felt like opening up and telling Siwon more about Taeyeon and her history with her. It felt appropriate for her to start here.

"Last year," she narrated. "Taeyeon and I wrote our love wishes here and tied it to this tree."

Siwon observed how the little letters were tied to the tree. It really did look like white leaves afar. The branches even swayed when the wind blew it. "What did you wish for?" Siwon asked.

"Oh. Just the usual," Tiffany smiled, standing in one of the benches hands still locked with Leeteuk’s. "Knight in shining armor and all that."

"Did it come true?"

"Molla." she playfully said as she plucked a twisted piece of paper from the lowest tree branch and began opening it. "I didn't even want to do it. Taeyeon just insisted I write something down. So I wrote something generic."

Siwon kept silent. He was expecting for her to say 'Yes!' at his last question.

"What I really want to wish for isn't someone who can sweep me off my feet." she continued. "Rather, I wish for a relationship that never had to end."

"That makes sense." Siwon smiled, contented at Tiffany's explanation.

"Doesn't it?" She chuckled. "All these other girls wish for things that aren't important. Sometimes, it bothers me but not anymore."

Thoughts of Taeyeon flowed inside her mind again. She can never be truly with her, can she? Despite the fact that their chemistry would've merited a national award of utter chaos, they both fit each other perfectly. However, she knew that even being perfect for each other didn't assure a good relationship.

Siwon was surprised that Tiffany had hugged him. He felt like she was telling him something important, hidden messages that lied in her words and actions.

But he couldn't decipher it.

She pulled away. They kept looking at each other's eyes. To Tiffany, she was getting ready to tell him what Taeyeon really meant to her and if he can accept who she is and what has happened in the past… Then maybe, maybe they can be together. Maybe they can save Taeyeon together. She felt her eyes water as she begged for this.

Save her for me, Siwon.

But to Siwon? All he was thinking was if she had wanted him to hold her close or if she was asking for a kiss.

Oh it. He thought as he leaned in. He wanted to kiss her so badly ever since he met her. The girl that made him want to bury who he was and start all over again. His lips were full of love, thanks and redemption for her.

Light.

In the dimmed rays of the moon, Tiffany had reached a point of enlightenment. It was her first time kissing a guy, but she didn't dislike it. Were all the things she did with Taeyeon only because she liked the sensation of kissing? She hadn't even set in stone that she loved Siwon! Yet here she was, exchanging love in each other's touch.

Light?

She looked up and saw the pieces of paper bursting into small wisps of flame. At first, she thought it was fireworks but the heat seemed real and close, so much that her skin broke sweat.

Siwon pulled her close. This tree's on fire! His mind panicked but was still in a good enough state to lead her away from the tree. His head hurt, Tiffany’s lips took his breath away and his lungs burnt oxygen faster to get his brain up and running again.

There were popping sounds that came from the wind that fanned the flames; but all Siwon could hear is silence. His mind slowly grasped the idea of what was happening and begun listening to the sound of something slipping away through his fingers.

Again.