The Six

Dear Love: Rewind

 

The Six
 

The car trip to school was so awkward; Seohyun could swear she needed a cheese knife to cut the tension. Tiffany's older brother, Leo, had volunteered to take Fany, her friends and their dates to their own night. It wasn't as if they suggested it. Siwon and the others already had plans to use their own mode of transportation before Leo insisted in taking them.

"I'm sorry you guys." Tiffany said. She couldn't even look at her friends' eyes in embarrassment. She and Leo were sitting perfectly well in front. While Taeyeon, Seohyun, Siwon, Yonghwa and an annoyed Leeteuk sat at the back in twisted positions. The guitar that Yonghwa brought didn’t help either.

"Gwenchana, unnie." Seohyun automatically said, almost like it was her cue to answer. It worried Tiffany that she had ruined Seohyun's night before it even started; especially since she was also the person who set her up with Yonghwa. She originally didn't want to go but Taeyeon suggested for her to make friends with others before they graduated.

"Hyung." Siwon choked, adjusting his elbow so he can look at Leo using the rearview mirror. "I think it’s better if I call Dad and ask if we can use the van later."

Leo looked at him, investigating whether or not he should leave his little sister in the hands of a person with such a bad boy image. "What time will you bring Miyoung home though?"

Trick question. Tiffany thought. Nobody will be home later tonight, as usual. Their Dad is out on a business trip and Leo will be back in his college dorm tonight. It was Taeyeon's parents who specifically asked if Tiffany can just sleep over instead. Play it cool.

"The party's out by ten. I'll make sure these lovely ladies will be in bed at eleven." Siwon answered.

"What, no after parties?" Leo laughed. "I expected more from a guy that came from Seoul."

Tiffany caught Taeyeon's eyes right at that moment, knowing full well that Siwon would take the bait and made sure he'd brag about how he'd take his sister out for 'a good time'. Before Siwon could even answer, Taeyeon nudged him, pretending to get out of her seemingly painful position at the back and answering Leo with an: "I'll make sure Tiffany gets a good night's rest beside me."

Tiffany smiled in her relief. Only she and Taeyeon had the closeness to even understand what they were saying with their eyes. Her eyes drifted to the window pane and watched the afternoon color the sky turn to a darkening orange hue.

And when our eyes can't talk, we use our lips. She said to herself. When it was just in her thoughts, it was OK. These were words that never meant to be voiced.

"Then what about Yonghwa's guitar? Is he playing after the dance?" Leo inquired further.

"Aniyo, Leo oppa." Seohyun answered. "Yonghwassi would play for us during the dance."

"Oh, and what would you be doing while he plays then?" Leo asked.

"As part of the student body, I would have to say I need make sure we have a lenient election."

"I'll make sure to dance with you in between breaks, don't worry." Yonghwa shifted from his seat uncomfortably. "I'll only play for a set."

"Well, I guess that's fine." Leo finally approved. Of the three girls, if there was someone trustworthy to him, it'd be Seohyun.  "Just make sure to text me once you hopped in bed." He gestured his hand to Tiffany's wristwatch.

"Don't worry about me. Get to your dorm safely." Tiffany answered, glad that the hard part of the conversation was over.

 

•••••••

"Ah!" Taeyeon jumped out of the car and let her golden blonde hair feel the afternoon wind. "I'm so glad to be outta there!"

"You and me both." Leeteuk said, limping as he walked. He was silent the whole ride. Everyone could feel he was gonna need alot of punch later on to loosen him up. He was especially cranky when he found out they weren't using Siwon's 'toys'.

While Tiffany and Siwon was receiving Leo's final sermon, Yonghwa led Seohyun out of the car hand in hand like a true gentleman.

Upon seeing this, Taeyeon immediately reached her hand out to Leeteuk. "Teukkieya," she playfully called.

Leeteuk was still busy making sure his suit was still in tip top shape when he noticed Taeyeon's small hands. "What is it?"

"Gimme your arm. I wanna hold it too." She said in a childish manner.

"What are you, a kid? Can’t even stand up straight?" He answered coldly, pointing at how her feet played with the dust on the ground. He took out a beautiful brooch and handed it to her. "Just put this on instead."

Taeyeon scoffed before looking at her shiny new accessory, it read Tiffany and Co. at the back. Wait. Tiffany and Co.? That brand? She reread it and was sure that he must’ve gone to extreme lengths just to buy one. The nearest jewelry store was all the way to Seoul. She didn't know if she was supposed to be grateful that he got it for her, or if she would play baby because he wouldn't even let her cling on his arm.

Tiffany though, looked at her and immediately recognized the brand. She quickly came to Taeyeon's side and looked at it. "Waaah! Yeppuda! Did Leeteuk give it to you? So lucky!"

"Yeah, take a look at it." Taeyeon said thinking that Tiffany would turn it around multiple times to see the quality. She really liked sparkly things. Taeyeon was surprised when the red head smiled and put the brooch on for her instead of playing with it.

"It's yours, Taetae." She smiled, almost awkwardly. This were one of those rare instances Taeyeon failed to read her bestfriend’s face. "While everyone in the dance are wearing flowers from the local store, you'll be wearing this bling-bling around the whole night! Call me jealous."

"Oww, unnie, yeppoyo!" Seohyun encouraged. "Leeteukssi has good taste."

"You think?" Taeyeon finally smiled; relieved that people would still identify them as a couple even if they seem to have a bad start for tonight. She began rethinking her plan of acting immaturely and just enjoy the night.

It was only now that Tiffany managed to look at her friends' dresses. Taeyeon's was a black and white fitting dress that complimented her newly dyed hair. She had it done especially for Prom. The brooch she received was a perfect match to her glittery and fun make up.

While Taeyeon and Tiffany went for a party fashion, Seohyun was more of simple yet elegant. She wasn't really the best dresser of the three but her pale yellow dress matched how conservative she is. She was wearing the watch that they got a year ago as a birthday gift and on the other hand, bracelet made of organic flowers Yonghwa must've gave her just as they got out the car.

They all looked especially pretty tonight.

"Well kiddos. I need to go." Leo said, having said his goodbyes to some old friends, hopped in his car and waved one last time. "Jalisso."

"Jalga, oppa." Tiffany waved back. She turned to Siwon with a smile. "Gaja?"

The six friends went inside the school, head first into the night that started the dent in the armor they call friendship.