Prologue

Dear Love: Rewind

 

Prologue: 

 

Tiffany told herself that she shouldn't feel these things towards her friend. That it was a wrong and hard road if it did came true; that her values as a Christian would never allow her to fully accept what she felt about her...

Stephanie Hwang: the girl who has everything. Her family owned an extensive amount of hotels not only in Korea, but in the Philippines as well. She was basically amongst the elite in Jeonju. Her room was filled with stuffed toys from her dad and brother, books neatly stacked on the shelves that once belonged to her sister and pictures of friends with smiling faces scattered across the room. Their house itself was very western. You can almost smell the fresh scent of oranges through the air conditioning.

She was finishing her make up for tonight’s ball while looking at her reflection. Before all this, a mirror was all she needed to feel safe. Now, she couldn't even look at it without feeling guilty or ashamed.

She wondered what her decision would be; her eyes scanned her own face for answers, like any sign of doubt that she had. Unfortunately, she only saw fear and uncertainty. She couldn’t deny that she didn’t love her and she can’t say that their relationship, though complicated, had never worked… But will all of this would be worth the pain? She never had an answer to that.

If love was supposed to bring comfort, why did she feel so insecure about this? If love was supposed to make you feel warm and safe, why is it that it made her feel numb, defenseless and weak? Why, in all manners and aspects of love, is it such a burden to fight for this? Why did she feel like she wasn't going to a place of sunshine and rainbows; but instead, why did it feel like her answer almost meant like enlisting in the army and staying for the rest of her life?

There were so many questions behind it. She wanted a concrete answer to all of these things. She slammed her hand down the vanity, frustrated that she was never provided a solution to it.

She found herself staring into her own eyes, her mind leaving the walls of her own room but quickly snapping back to reality. It was time she stopped asking questions and start looking for answers.

I am Tiffany. She reminded herself. I'm my father's daughter and my mother's precious little gem. She grabbed a brush and started combing her hair to calm herself down.

Knock. Knock. Knock.

"Ppanyah! Gwenchanayo?" a voice came from behind the door.

"Hold on!" She said, putting the brush down and looking at herself one last time. She was wearing a red cocktail dress; her short hair dolled up in waves and her makeup was fresh and young looking.

The door opened to reveal a curious Taeyeon poking her head to have a look-see. She could've sworn to have seen fireworks lighting up in the background when she saw Tiffany. She would have wanted nothing else but a few more seconds to admire her.

Before they could even speak, they got called by their maknae friend, Seohyun, downstairs. "Unnie, gaja! We'll be late!"

"Jamkanmanyo, Juhyunah!" Taeyeon answered, closing the door behind her and walking up to her bestfriend.

"Hey." was all Tiffany could say at first, she saw Taeyeon examine her from head to toe. "Is it too much?"

"No, it’s perfect. You're perfect." she answered. "I’m speechless. I'm sorry."

Tiffany giggled. She knew Taeyeon would say that. She dressed up just to see this kind of reaction. She wasn’t disappointed. "Well, we should go."

Hands stopped her as soon as she moved her feet. Taeyeon grabbed both of her wrists and slowly laced her hands together with Tiffany's.

"What’s the rush?" Taeyeon shushed as she closed the gap between them and leaned closer. "Let me feel you for a moment."

"Tae... Taeyeonssi." Tiffany's words were muffled as they touched. They often talked silently like this. Their eyes shut from all the truth surrounding them... The polished nails and glistening lip gloss was their cover. They were girls, right; but all they thought about was nibbling on the ecstasy they can only give to each other.

Ignorance is a bliss indeed.

"Mmm, Tae." Tiffany managed to say in between kisses. It took her a few more seconds before she can pull away. "As much as I like what this is... We really do need to get going."

The other girl sighed in agreement. It was such a drag, this dance. Prom was actually a western custom but their school had wanted them to experience it. That, and the fact that Tiffany really wanted to go forced her to rethink her feelings towards the dance.

At that point, no more words were exchanged, just smiles. She led her friend to the exit and shut the door behind them.

And with that, all the feelings they had for each other.