Annoying Admirers

Unveiling the Assassin

               As Kyuhyun had suggested after their first meeting, Jaejoong agreed to join the younger male for a drink one evening after work the following week when things just weren’t panning out the way he had hoped they might.  Whether he wanted new friends or not, apparently it wasn’t entirely Jaejoong’s choice one way or the other as those he’d already met continued to make their presence known in his life. 

                Aside from the stress of the case he was working on, which was enough to drive anyone mad, he kept bumping into Changmin intermittently.  It was becoming fairly commonplace and if he hadn’t been so distracted the majority of the time, he was tempted to think it was more than coincidence, but at least he wasn’t annoying.  Rather surprisingly, he found the upstairs neighbor’s presence easy to get along with; much like the Lee brothers who bothered him occasionally and ironically enough, helped him to keep his sanity by dragging him over for dinner once or twice a week.  That had been Jinki’s idea when, between him and his siblings, they’d caught Jaejoong returning home one too many times with more fast food…

                Tonight though, it was a Thursday evening so he hadn’t expected the place of Kyuhyun’s pleasure to be particularly busy.  He looked forward to a slight reprieve since his week really had not given him the most promising leads just yet.  The three places he’d been keeping his eye on were all somewhat shady but they checked out overall with nothing overtly suspicious to draw attention to themselves.  All of them had dealings in Korea and had plenty to lose, in terms of freedom at any rate, if the purported contract had been signed when his parents were still alive.  He now had the heads of the companies to look into and he wasn’t exactly thrilled about that prospect, so he’d opted to unwind, just a little bit mind you, with Kyuhyun at the Prancing Maiden.

                Contrary to what he’d expected, the ladies of the club were scantily clad but respectable, offering entertainment of a strictly visual level with no private dances and the drinks were good with decent proportions of alcohol to mixers.  He was pleasantly surprised by the rather entrancing atmosphere and his companion’s far more amiable nature than he anticipated.  For the most part, he’d been avoiding the office to keep from repeating their first meeting fairly successfully.  Apparently though, when Kyuhyun had a couple drinks, and here he used the term loosely since he could definitely hold his own, the young man had a whole other side to him.

                “I’m still saying it’s your hair since we can’t do anything about your face,” he gestured at Jaejoong’s head and shrugged unrepentantly after the elder had fended off yet another advance from an interested male party.  Not that he hadn’t had his fair share of female offers, since they were considerably bolder than he was accustomed to, but it was the men Kyuhyun liked to about.

                “Seriously?  Are we back to this again?” he asked, brow furrowed under his dark bangs which he flicked his head to get out of his face once more, resorting to his fingers when that failed.  The ends of the strands tickled his nose and cheeks mercilessly and he was getting tired of them not behaving…

                “We never left it, Jae,” Kyuhyun chuckled, raising his drink in toast to the more feminine between them.

                “When did you start calling me that anyway?” he asked, pushing his half-empty high ball glass back and forth on the bar top, feeling pleasantly buzzed and decently happy, despite the circumstances for his being here.  He’d been nursing his drinks slowly, infinitely careful of his intake so that he’d have full use of his senses if he needed; mostly anyway.

                “Day one,” Kyuhyun answered with a smirk, pointing at another male across the bar.  “You know, you should probably introduce yourself to him or something.  Maybe then he’ll stop staring at you,” he winked, taking another sip of his drink.  He’d probably put away double what his companion had and seemed about on par with the elder in terms of mental faculties.

                Jaejoong groaned and rolled his eyes as he saw who Kyuhyun was pointing at.  One of the more persistent admirers, the slightly taller young man with a smaller face than he was used to, had been trying to get close to engage him in conversation all evening; an actuality he had somehow managed to avoid thus far.  “No,” he pointed firmly at his companion, debating whether to take a drink or not.  “I am not here for that,” he reminded him adamantly.

                Of course, his declarations did nothing to prevent him from noticing the stranger’s dancing ability on the floor when the song changed and he took the opportunity to show off his skill.  He grumbled under his breath when Kyuhyun caught him staring.  “You can deny it all you want, Jae.  But you think he’s hot.”

                “I’m just going to start pretending you’re my boyfriend if anyone approaches me,” he grinned, giving the younger a perfect wink.  He had just enough sense left to laugh at himself for how different their interactions were this time around.  Oh the strange properties of alcohol…

                “Eww…  No!” he denied, crossing both hands in front of him over his drink in an emphatic refusal of that idea.

                “But Kyu!” Jaejoong pouted, leaning close and resting both hands on the younger male’s shoulder as he brought their faces within inches of each other to the younger’s discomfit.

                “Gyah!  Away with you,” Kyuhyun grumbled as he turned his head, shying back as he pushed the other away.

                Jaejoong laughed and patted him reassuringly on the shoulder, “You’re too easy.”

                “Oh please,” Kyuhyun snorted, rolling his eyes and then smirking as he caught sight of someone behind Jaejoong approaching.

                “Really?” Jaejoong sighed, needing no help in understanding what that look meant.  Without waiting for whoever it was to try and get his attention, he turned around and blinked in surprise to see the dancer standing there, hand raised as if he was going to tap on his shoulder. 

                “Oh.  Hi,” he smiled brightly, the confident expression not at all what Jaejoong had been expecting.

                “Hello,” Jaejoong greeted politely, remaining skeptical as his friend chuckled beside him.

                “I think I’ll leave you to it then,” Kyuhyun remarked, absconding with his drink and heading into the crowds to find another spot to seclude himself.  Jaejoong glared after his retreating form and then returned his attention to the newcomer.

                “Yunho,” the dancer offered, extending his hand in greeting, leaning casually against the bar.

                Jaejoong accepted the gesture and gave a hesitant smile in return.  “And what can I help you with, Yunho?” he asked, declining to give his name just yet.  Just because he was more attractive up close and had the self-assured traits he tended to favor did not mean he was going to just jump on with no thoughts to the contrary.  Buzzed or not, he was only here because Kyuhyun insisted; not to pick up anybody.

                “I’m not sure how I’ve managed to offend you, having just met you, but I’m sorry,” he bowed repentantly, still holding lightly to Jaejoong’s hand.  “Can I at least get you a drink to make up for it?” he asked, gesturing towards the bar with his other hand without ever taking his eyes from the other male’s.

                Jaejoong mentally grumbled to himself and gave a small sigh.  He had no reason to be downright rude to the fellow and he was being inordinately polite, which he was not entirely accustomed to.  It would have been easier to disregard him if he was the pushy type he was used to fending off…  Looking around, he saw that his backup had well and truly deserted him anyway, so what would it hurt?  He turned back and leveled his gaze at Yunho.  “One drink only,” he stated holding his index finger up.

                “Of course,” Yunho smiled genially, waving at the nearest bartender.

                Jaejoong blinked when he realized he was waiting for him to name the drink and he smiled quickly, filling in the blank.  “Vodka and cranberry juice,” he waved, eyes flickering to his…admirer, to see how he’d react.

                “Make it two please,” he gestured, shifting to stand upright in front of him.

                Jaejoong narrowed his eyes at him thoughtfully and offered his hand.  “Jaejoong,” he provided, deciding he tentatively liked him.

                “Well Jaejoong,” Yunho grinned, releasing his hand to pick up their drinks and hand one off to the shorter male.  “It is a pleasure to meet you.”

                A couple hours later found Jaejoong quite ready to go home.  He was getting more than tired of fending off the offer of drinks from his new ‘friend’ and the dancing had gotten progressively closer throughout the night.  It was fun…at first, but now he was tired and grumpy and clearly recalling why he had wanted to avoid him in the first place since subtle hints and suggestions of going back to his place kept cropping up.  Quite frankly, Jaejoong didn’t want anybody in his apartment, except maybe his floor neighbors, but that was beside the point.

                “Really, Yunho.  I have work in the morning and I should be going,” he explained politely, trying to maintain at least a façade of pleasantness while he pulled away, searching for that damnable Kyuhyun.

                “Aw.  Come on, Jae,” Yunho purred, holding on lightly, not firm enough to be threatening but unwilling to part so soon.

                And there was that damn abbreviated name again; already.  “Thank you but no, Yunho,” he persisted, meeting the taller male’s eyes and squaring off with him.

                “Can I at least give you a ride home then?” he offered, glancing around the club.  “It seems as if your friend may have already done so himself,” he commented apologetically.

                “He better not have,” Jaejoong grumbled under his breath so that Yunho wouldn’t hear but had a sinking feeling that he may well have done just that.  “I’ll just call a cab then,” he stated simply, waving off the other’s offer.  He’d arrived on his own; he could damn well get home on his own too…

                “Oh come now.  I don’t bite,” Yunho pressed, further irritating Jaejoong.

                Just when he felt his control starting to slip, due in no small part to the hour and what he’d managed to put away, he felt his phone going off in his pocket.  Quickly, he snatched it out as if it was his lifeline and could have kissed it when he got a text from Kyuhyun.  At your three.

                Sure enough, when he looked up and to his right, there was the impudent young man leaning forward so that Jaejoong could actually see him this time, instead of hiding behind the crowd of patrons who had otherwise been obstructing his vision.  “Actually, there my friend is,” he pointed out, trying to make his way to him before Yunho’s hand continued to hold him in place.

                “Here.  At least take this,” he offered, extending a small card his way with a number scrawled on it.

                “Fine,” Jaejoong stifled his sigh, relieved when he finally let go.  “Thanks for the drinks,” he waved, hurrying off and practically dragging Kyuhyun out of the club.

                “What’s the rush?” he laughed, thoroughly amused as he forced a detour to pay for his tab and then allowed himself to be pulled out.

                “Ugh.  Never mind,” Jaejoong grumbled, casting one glance back to see if Yunho was still watching him.  He wasn’t surprised to see the other was following his path but he could have sworn the expression was sharp and thoughtful until he noticed Jaejoong was looking at him at which point he immediately became the smiling, drunk dancer he’d been spending the majority of his night with.

                “What?” Kyuhyun laughed.  “You looked like you were having fun, Jae.”

                “Jaejoong,” he responded quickly, letting go of his arm as they made the sidewalk outside the club.

                “Eh?”

                “My name is Jaejoong.  I’d appreciate it if you would at least call me by my full name,” he stated firmly, feeling the last of his pleasant buzz wearing off, replaced by irritation and a threatening headache.

                Confused by the sudden change in his companion, Kyuhyun frowned.  “Alright then, Mr. Kim,” he responded, earning himself a mild glare.

                Jaejoong fumed quietly, perturbed by the sudden taunting formality.  “Just…”  He shook his head on whatever he was trying to say and took a deep breath.  “Thanks for tonight, Kyuhyun,” he managed to mumble with as much grace as possible.  “I’ll see you in the office tomorrow.”  Without waiting for his response, he stepped to the side and hailed a cab, eternally grateful they were almost always plentiful, thereby averting a waiting time.

                Kyuhyun watched him go with his hands stuck in his pockets, eyes narrowed in thought.  He scuffed the sidewalk with his toe and glanced around, feeling as if he was missing something and just happened to notice the same guy that Jaejoong had been dancing with leaving the club looking decidedly sober.  “Interesting…” he mused to himself, turning his attention to the streets in search of his own cab.

                On the ride back to his apartment, Jaejoong spent the majority of his time berating himself and brooding, fighting a heavy feeling in his chest and pressure behind his eyes.  It was well after midnight when he made his way to his floor, wincing away from the sound of the elevator dinging to allow him entry and exit.  As usual, he paused in front of his neighbor’s door but it was silent for a wonder; not that he could blame them.

                Like reasonable adults, they’d stayed inside to get ready for the work and/or school day tomorrow.  Today, he amended with a glance at his watch.  Mutely, he smacked his face with an open palm and unlocked his door, making sure to lock it behind him, checking the bolt and the sliding chain.  He tossed his coat over the couch and kicked his shoes off carelessly, heading for the kitchen to down a glass of water which made him feel woozy for a moment.  He knew he should probably eat something but the idea of food was not appetizing in the least just then.

                At least it was a welcome reprieve from the ache still residing in his chest.  Scrubbing his hair with both hands, he made his way to his desk and picked up the framed picture that rested on the corner, letting his fingertips glide over the three figures covered by the protective glass pane.  It showed an image of him and his parents from two years ago, some diplomatic benefit he’d been convinced into attending.  Surprisingly, he’d had a much better time than he’d anticipated and they’d cajoled him into taking a picture between them.

                If he closed his eyes and listened, he could still hear their voices.  Dear.  Sweetie.  Jae.  Joongie.  To him, they’d always been umma and appa, except in the formal settings where it was unacceptable, but they’d always enjoyed the informality.  And he’d always liked the way they shortened his name and made it more endearing.  Family could call him Jae and Joongie.  Friends could even get away with it on occasion, like Kyuhyun had, but it was too raw when a near total stranger tried to call him by such a name.

                Not more than a month had passed since he’d heard them call him by such a name.  You’re coming over for dinner one of these nights, right Joongie?

                Don’t make your mother wait Jae.  You know she misses you.

                He felt tears wet his cheeks and scrubbed at his face roughly.  “Damn alcohol,” he muttered darkly, setting the picture down with infinite care.  Stupid of him to go drinking at all.  It hadn’t been a bad idea to get to know Kyuhyun outside of work but alcohol made him feel again.  It tore down his barriers like so much paper and splayed his torn emotions out for him to see and experience once more.  He missed them.

                If he focused on work, he didn’t have to worry about the grief he hadn’t let himself feel yet.  He didn’t have time to mourn their deaths because their murderer was still out there; still free and utterly unrepentant.  If he was working, he wasn’t thinking about the fact that he was parentless now and…alone.  And he was going to be damned if some stupid random stranger was just going to waltz in and try to fill that spot with something purely physical.  The hell with that…

                “Gyah!” he growled, slamming both fists down on top of his desk loudly, making the keyboard bounce and knocking the picture on its side, before falling back into his chair.  Limply, he leaned forward and tenderly grabbed the photo once more, dragging it close to stare at the image directly in front of him with his chin resting on the hard wooden surface.  “Umma.  Appa,” he whispered, tapping on their faces with his fingertip as he named them.  “I miss you…”