Tired of Waiting

Unveiling the Assassin

                It was the silence he couldn’t stand.  Normally it was a good thing, highly conducive to figuring things out, but in this instance, it was flat out maddening.  From his vantage at the table where he’d remained since Changmin had fled to the restroom, Jaejoong regarded his equally mute companion while he took turns resting on the bed or pacing in the all too small confines of their room.  Even his damn footsteps were quiet, sock covered feet whispering over the carpet with each padded step before the bed creaked slightly when his weight settled upon it.

                Once more, Jaejoong regarded the slips of paper on the desk in front of him and his mind simply froze.  When faced with the alternatives and possible outcomes, he was equal parts terrified and driven to find the answers, but with the current potential single most important person in his immediate existence still in the room with him, he almost didn’t want to know.  In the passing time, he’d made several attempts to start a question which had promptly died on his lips before the words had ever escaped.  Not only that, but he was certain he’d heard Changmin make various false starts himself; a quiet intake of breath or just the undeniable feeling of being stared at from behind…

                Finally, Jaejoong gripped hold of his courage and spun around in his chair to stare at Changmin before he managed to state, “We need to talk.”

                Changmin froze mid-step and then calmly set his foot down before he shifted to focus his attention on the other male.  “Oh?” he prompted neutrally, eyes flickering to the table behind the seated man.

                “Yes.”

                The younger man nodded slowly, looking at the floor instead of Jaejoong.  “About what?” he asked after a moment.

                Jaejoong pursed his lips, fighting back the urge to snap at him since it should be obvious but there were several points that could be elaborated upon.  He took a shallow breath and whispered, “Everything?”  He wasn’t even sure where he wanted to begin but with all that had happened and what could happen, they needed to get things sorted out.

                Wearily, as if the entire weight of the world rested upon his shoulders, Changmin exhaled and settled himself on the edge of the bed, resting his elbows on his knees while his hands threaded together in front of him.  “Well… I’ve already told you about me,” he began, glancing up under long lashes that partially hid his eyes.

                “No,” Jaejoong shook his head slowly, gripping the back of the chair in both hands in a white-knuckle grip as he struggled to find the words he needed.  At Changmin’s perplexed expression, he murmured, “I know about one part of you.  I know about your mission to get close to me and how that went awry.”  At his companion’s continued silence, he went on in a slightly stronger voice, “I know that you’re an assassin and that you were contracted by some very powerful people.”

                On the bed, Changmin nodded along slowly in quiet agreement.  When Jaejoong didn’t continue, he took a slow breath.  “And?”

                Jaejoong blinked and forced his hands to relax on the chair.  He had rather hoped the other man would simply volunteer something else, but judging by his abbreviated answers, it was apparent that was not going to be the case.  So he figured he’d begin with something off the subject of what he really wanted to ask.  “Who hired you?”

                Changmin snorted in response, unable to keep himself from smiling at the question, though it was obvious Jaejoong did not find it funny in the slightest.  He cleared his throat and let the mask slip back into place before he responded, “What makes you think I would know that?”  At Jaejoong’s skeptical glare, he shrugged, opening his hands before him.  “Most of the higher paying jobs are anonymous.  Key probably knows but for any certainty, you’d need to speak to Seunghyun.”

                Pensive doe eyes blinked back at the younger male while he absorbed that statement, trying to verify the truth of his answer.  Not that he could exactly argue the matter since that was often the case, but…  It felt almost too convenient this time and if Seunghyun’s reputation was anything to go by, he wasn’t just going to drop information like that.  It was incredibly bad for business and would undoubtedly damage his name.  Nor could he ask Key in the hospital since the other man was injured and under surveillance, and he himself was largely wanted by various people…  So, dead ends on both fronts.

                “What was your relationship with B-Bomb?” he asked instead, rather smug about being able to use the past tense in reference to the deceased assassin.  There was obviously some rivalry there and the had few reservations about who he hurt in the course of his mission.

                The relief Changmin felt at that question was immense.  B-Bomb was a relatively safe topic though he knew it was not likely to be the last question.  “He was always a rival in the business.  In my line of work, you get to be familiar with your competition and he often had missions near where I was.  B was good,” he nodded in agreement.  “He was one that was hired when finesse wasn’t a concern or by those who favored his approach.”  His eyes traveled to Jaejoong’s torso hidden under the layer of cloth and behind the chair, lips pursing at the remembered bruises.  “This wasn’t the first mission we’d butted heads, but there is such a thing as going too far,” Changmin warned softly, hoping that Jaejoong would hear it in his voice.

                “Was he hired during your last mission too?” the detective asked in a breathy whisper, feeling as if he wanted to take the question back as soon as it left his mouth.  He hadn’t missed the tone his companion used, but it was almost like a plea instead of a genuine warning.

                Changmin’s hands drifted to his knees as he sat up, fingers tightening at the inquiry.  “What do you hope to find out with these questions, Jae?”  His expression remained neutral but he couldn’t quite keep his voice as steady as he would prefer.

                Jaejoong balled his hands into fists in front of him as he chewed his lip and met Changmin’s gaze, his heart starting to beat faster in his chest.  “I need to know, Min,” he exhaled shakily, feeling his eyes grow warm at his own inability to find anything out.  “I need to know who murdered my parents and who’s behind it.”  His companion just looked at him with that unreadable expression and Jaejoong felt his control slipping.  “And the fact that I now have reason to believe there was more than one shooter that night and that you have what looks astonishingly like a gunshot wound in the same area that I shot an assassin in not that long ago, makes me wonder!” he rambled, his words coming quicker as his voice rose with his agitation.

                Changmin didn’t even hesitate to stand and close the distance between them, wrapping his arms around Jaejoong’s head and shoulders gently as he held him close, his lower body pressed tight against the back of the chair.  “Of course you’ll find out, Jae.  These things just take time,” he reminded him softly, one hand down the covered back in long soothing gestures.

                Wrapped in that protective embrace, it was easier to just stop thinking for a moment as Jaejoong reached around and clung to Changmin, fingertips pressing hard against the bare skin of his back as he turned his head to rest his cheek against the flat, muscled plane of his abdomen and chest.  His fingers brushed against the newest bandage wraps that covered the younger male’s torso but he didn’t try to mess with or even look at them again.  He contented himself to close his eyes and listen to Changmin as he breathed, the air whistling quietly in and out of his lungs.  “What about Yunho?” he whispered after a calming pause, needing the time to let some of the tension drain away.  He felt Changmin’s hand pause on his back as he stilled and wondered if he would answer or not.

                “We used to be friends,” Changmin responded in a whisper, the words slipping past his lips reluctantly.  Jaejoong tightened his arms around the slender waist and waited, blinking slowly while he counted the seconds as they drifted by.  “There was a time we worked together.  Before…” he trailed off, body tensing slightly.

                Again, they were confronted by that damned silence and though Jaejoong was loathe to break it and perhaps interrupt the other male’s train of thought, he needed some sort of continuation.  Carefully, he shifted his head to look up at Changmin and noticed the other was still staring off, his eyes distant as he walked through some memory that he couldn’t see.  “Before what, Min?”

                Changmin blinked and shook himself once, realizing he’d been lost for a moment.  He cleared his throat in mild embarrassment and glanced down briefly before looking away, focusing on the desk behind Jaejoong.  “Before I had to choose between the job and another friend.”  Jaejoong absorbed that statement quietly, turning his head to rest his cheek against the warm torso once more.  “He took the… betrayal personal,” he grimaced, holding tighter to the man in his arms.  “We’ve tried here and there to get back what we lost, but it seems to fall apart each time.”

                In his tone, Jaejoong heard weary resignation and mild defeat.  It wasn’t difficult to see that the shift in their relationship was particularly hard on Changmin and it certainly made him wonder just how close the two had been...  Of course, that wasn’t a question for the moment and he shoved the thought away viciously.  Instead, he let his eyes slide to the slips of paper and he swallowed.  “Was he working with you on your last mission?”  He waited with baited breath for an answer he wasn’t sure he was going to get.

                “Yes.”

                Jaejoong closed his eyes and clenched his jaw tightly.  Two assassins working together.  A rocky recent history.  Their animosity towards each other when they were together and especially around him…  It was all starting to make sense and he wasn’t so sure he wanted it to anymore.  He figured Changmin must have sensed the change in him too for he loosened his hold though he didn’t step away.

                “Listen, Jae,” he murmured softly, his low tone making Jaejoong shiver slightly.  “The main thing right now is keeping you safe until we can figure out a plan to go about this.”

                “And what is that supposed to mean?” he asked immediately, opening his eyes to look up at the younger male in irritation.  He wasn’t used to being forced into the damsel in distress role and he did not like it…

                “It means that I need you to stay here while I go find some things out,” he explained quietly, cupping the back of Jaejoong’s head tenderly, keeping his expression as neutral as possible.

                “Why can’t I come with you?” Jaejoong retorted quickly, struggling to stand up, the position and gentle restraint of his companion working against him.  When Changmin opened his mouth to respond, he interrupted him, “And if try to you tell me no because I’m injured, I suggest you stop now.  You’re as bad if not worse than I am,” he reminded the younger male with an edge of anger tinting his tone.

                “You may be right,” Changmin conceded carefully with a slow nod, “but everyone knows your face, Joongie.”

                All of Jaejoong’s anger at Changmin fizzled abruptly and his shoulders slumped in automatic defeat.  There was no getting around that.  Only a handful of people knew Changmin because they’d met him in person but anyone who had a television who’d been watching the news when the broadcast went out about him being a suspect would know what he looked like.  That was so not fair…  He let his eyes trail away to stare at the floor as he sighed, “Fine.”

                “I’m sorry,” the younger murmured in apology, stepping back enough so that he could bend over to press his lips against the top of Jaejoong’s head.  “I’ll be back as soon as I can, alright?” he offered instead, gripping the still seated male’s chin to turn his face so he could see his eyes.

                Jaejoong looked between Changmin’s deep brown orbs and gave a very slight nod, letting his hands slide together in front of him in obvious frustration.  He noticed the hesitation in Changmin but when the younger male didn’t say anything, he declined to as well, and simply watched when he pulled away to get ready.  The shoes weren’t problematic but putting on a clean shirt was, the motion awkward and painful judging by the quiet hiss that escaped his companion when he was putting it on.  He watched keenly as a briefcase was pulled out from under the bed and left in the open.

                “This is for you,” Changmin murmured, tilting the case up to reveal the remaining handgun nestled in the cushioned, gray interior.  He made quick work of checking his two guns, retrieving them from the restroom before he stuffed one back in his shoe and the other in the back of his pants.

                As Changmin was getting ready to leave, Jaejoong slowly got to his feet, keeping one hand on the back of the chair for needless support.  “Min…” he trailed off, unsure what it was he even wanted to say.

                Ready to go, Changmin took a breath and turned around to face Jaejoong, meeting the other’s worried and uncertain gaze.  It took a great deal of effort not to glance at the table behind him.  To keep himself from doing so, he closed the distance between them and reached up to cup one of Jaejoong’s cheeks instead.  “Stay safe, Joongie,” he whispered, tracing his thumb over the drawn but still soft cheek under his hand.

                “I should be telling you that,” Jaejoong laughed weakly, the tone slightly bitter.

                Changmin smiled sadly and clasped the elder male’s face in both hands, tilting his head down so he could press his lips against the warm forehead.  “You just did,” he chuckled, placing his forehead against Jaejoong’s to peer into his eyes, less than a couple inches apart.

                Jaejoong stifled a quiet cry and stepped close, wrapping his arms around Changmin’s torso as he carefully pressed his lips against his shoulder, briefly unsure which was the injured one.  It wasn’t fair.  None of it…  He felt his companion’s hand come to rest against the back of his head before soft lips pressed against his hair.

                No more words were necessary just then and if either had tried to say anything, it wouldn’t have come out right anyway, so they left it alone.  Changmin stepped back with real reluctance and waved at Jaejoong, managing a brave smile before he turned to step out into the stairwell again.

                Jaejoong watched him go, pausing at the entranceway to listen intently before he pushed open the panel and stepped out, leaving him to his solitude again.  For a long moment, he just stared at the alcove, blinking occasionally, until his eyes shifted to the scraps of paper on the table.  Two assassins.  Working together but not on the same team in the end.  Changmin and Yunho.  While his heart fell at the thought, his expression remained impassive as he bottled all his emotions up as firmly as possible, keeping them shut tight for the moment.

                Maybe B-Bomb had been a part of it before this stage but he’d been dealt with and unless he personally found some very convincing evidence to the contrary, Jaejoong was fairly certain he had figured out who killed his parents.  Really… what were the odds that another pair of assassins just happened to be in existence who were familiar with what Jaejoong had in his possession?  Of course, it was possible there had been two rival assassins at the same time but again, Changmin’s shoulder wound hit a little too close to the possible truth and he couldn’t just discount that.

                So now the question of who hired them needed to be answered.  Slowly, he turned to stare at the gun waiting for him in the briefcase on the bed.  “Alright Jae.  Time to stop being helpless,” he told himself with a grimace down at his person.  Stupid B-Bomb…  And stupid him too for falling for that damn trick.  With a low growl in the back of his throat, Jaejoong padded around the room, pulling together what he’d need to make a foray himself.

                He didn’t have much in the way of disguises, but he could make do with what he had.  Given he wasn’t going to manage a classy look with his reserves on hand, his best bet was to go homeless or at the very least, impoverished.  Ironically, he found cinnamon and nutmeg in the cabinets which he mixed together and used to make a dark paste similar to mud which he smeared carefully on his face and anywhere he had open patches of skin, giving him a dirty appearance.  A glance at the rest of his person showed his clothes were too clean in comparison so he treated them to the same effect on a broader scale, nodding in hesitant satisfaction at the result.

                As much as it pained him, he left his hair untouched and messed it up further so that it didn’t look even remotely civilized.  Where possible, he stretched or cut into his clothes to degrade their appearance even more and when he was finally ready, he gave himself a long stare in the mirror.  Keeping his head hung low and his shoulders hunched as if he was afraid of an imminent beating, Jaejoong confirmed he looked nothing like the private investigator that he actually was.  It was definitely not one of his finer moments, but what else was he going to do?  Sit here and wait?

                He’d already done that and it hadn’t helped.  It was time to take an active hand again, whatever the end result was going to be.  Snagging the gun off the bed, he stuffed it carefully into the back of his pants and took a steadying breath.  “You can do this,” he told himself, staring at the alcove that led to the stairwell.

                While he knew he couldn’t look into the Ddangkoma foundation and with his appearance, being anywhere near businesses was going to be a bad idea, but Kyuhyun had mentioned something about activity at the docks.  Considering the AFFC did a lot of shipping in general and that Ryeowook had been seen in the company of Youngwoon but was employed by Mr. Benson, it was something worth checking into.

                Nodding firmly to himself, Jaejoong took a deep breath and stepped into the alcove.

 

(a/n: Finally!  I managed to finish it.  The words just weren't coming together like I needed them too but I hope this helped to give a little bit of enlightenment about Changmin and Yunho's relationship.  If you'll remember the conversation Key and Micky had, you can pull some conclusions from the two chapters.  Of course, if you have questions afterwards, feel free to send them my way.  haha

I've got a pretty good idea of where I'm going from here so hopefully I'll be able to get another update or two out in a quicker span of time.  Thanks for being patient in the meantime and I hope you look forward to the next update!)