Tentative Safety

Unveiling the Assassin

                The safe house Changmin led Jaejoong too was definitely in a seedy part of town but at least the majority of the people they passed were too focused on their own misery to actually notice them, for which he was rather grateful.  No one took a second glance at the pair, slightly better dressed than the general consensus in the area, but Changmin at least looked enough like the wounded predator that most of them would prefer to avoid and Jaejoong simply kept his head down.  He didn’t know the area or where they were going so the best thing he could do was follow along, holding determinedly to Changmin’s hand.

                Eventually, they ducked into a shabby but solid looking building, guided by something only his companion knew what to look for.  “This way,” Changmin urged, pausing at the flight of stairs instead of taking the elevator.  Between the two, the stairs were probably safer anyway if the condition of the building was any indication…

                “How can you tell?” Jaejoong asked in a quiet whisper into Changmin’s ear so his voice wouldn’t carry far.

                “If you know what to look for, it’s obvious,” he winked but declined to point out what exactly he noticed that Jaejoong didn’t.  It was irritating to an extent but he couldn’t argue when they reached the landing between the fourth and fifth floor, himself winded and his companion at least slightly spent for the climb, where Changmin finally paused and investigated further, obviously looking for something.  “Ah.  Back here,” he urged, guiding Jaejoong along by the elbow as he pulled him down next to the wall that was beside the rising flight of stairs.

                Instead of a bar for a railing, every flight had a pillar like space separating each set of stairs so that there was about a two foot divider at the switchback platforms.  Most of them were tattered and worn with various degrees of random markings on them so that this one looked no different than the others really.  It had certainly caught his companion’s attention though.

                “Here?” Jaejoong asked with a confused look on his face as he searched for whatever it was that Changmin saw.

                “Neh.  This,” he smiled, pointing at what looked like nothing more than graffiti to Jaejoong.  Obscenely, the part he was pointing at stated quite clearly ‘For a good time, call KiKi at XXX-XXXX’ in what was likely a bogus number.  But Changmin moved past the number to the end of the wall, his fingertips tracing over the surface lightly until he came to what looked like the childish drawing of a key head.  “Here,” he smiled, pressing the tip of the key and laughing when he heard a lock disengage.

                “Seriously?” Jaejoong laughed once, watching as the outline of a small door appeared, barely large enough to step through hunched over, but it swung inward into a faintly lit though narrow corridor between the space of the actual stairwell.

                “It’s a bit snug,” Changmin murmured as he went first, folding his lean frame into the constricted space as he slid to the side, waiting for Jaejoong to join him before he motioned for his companion to shut the door behind them.

                “You weren’t kidding,” Jaejoong murmured, angling his body as much as possible so he didn’t get stuck in the narrow confines of the hallway.  Fortunately it only lasted a couple feet and opened up into a considerably larger room that had every evidence of being an actual apartment setting.  It was a bit on the plain side with the barest of decorations and came off as more of a studio with only a single bed, but it was secure.

                “Good old Key,” Changmin smiled, flipping the light switch on to further illuminate their settings.  A tiny kitchen sat next to what could only be the bathing room which was a small enclosed space sequestered in the corner, leaving the rest of the area for the bed and little else.  A ceiling fan rotated slowly above them while a vent pumped in air from whatever room was above, or at least near, theirs considering it was located between floors…

                “How…?” Jaejoong started to ask, inspecting the rest of the confines from where he stood.

                “I have a friend who believes in having many places to hide if the need arises,” Changmin explained, placing his hand gently upon Jaejoong’s back.  “There are no windows to worry about people seeing us through and if I’m not mistaken, there should be an emergency exit in…” he started to explain as he ducked into the restroom, messing around briefly before Jaejoong heard something grate quietly.  “Here,” Changmin spoke, poking his head out so Jaejoong could see what he’d found.

                “Oh wow,” the other murmured while he stared at the tiny opening above the toilet just large enough to allow one to climb into what was likely the ventilation system, or at least something that resembled it at any rate.

                “He should have a few things in the cupboards and the fridge too,” Changmin nodded, heading to check for himself.  He smiled when he saw that the cupboards were at least partially filled with nonperishables and the fridge had chilled bottles of water and some packets of… applesauce?  “Ah.  Good.  I was hoping he’d have one of these here,” he murmured, reaching under the sink to pull out what looked like a well-stocked first aid kit.

                “Is that phone for decoration or does it actually work?” Jaejoong asked, pointing at the old fashioned thing on the desk next to the bed.

                “That?  Eh…” Changmin trailed off, not entirely sure himself.  Experimentally, he wandered over and picked up the receiver, holding it to his ear, frowning when there wasn’t even a dial tone.  “Decoration,” he murmured, setting it down and opening the top drawer.  “Ah!  Here we go.”  He pulled out a somewhat dated cell phone and held it up for Jaejoong’s inspection, withdrawing a charger immediately after.

                “He’s thought of just about everything hasn’t he?” Jaejoong murmured, rubbing his arms self-consciously.

                “He tends to do that,” Changmin murmured, plugging the phone in to let it power up.  After a moment, he seemed to notice him companion’s nervousness and turned around to face Jaejoong, peering at him in concern.  “Are you doing alright?” he asked, taking a hesitant step towards him.

                “N-neh,” Jaejoong cursed himself for stuttering but nodded once firmly to let him know otherwise.  “Just surprised is all.  You said Key, as in Kim ‘Key’ Kibum, was responsible for this, right?”

                Damn.  He had mentioned his contact’s name hadn’t he…  “Neh,” he finally answered somewhat reluctantly.

                “I never did have the chance to meet him,” Jaejoong murmured, taking a tentative seat on the bed.  It was a Queen size so there would be plenty of room to sleep, but it was the only sleeping space, minus the floor and that was making Jaejoong decidedly nervous.

                “He’s a good friend,” Changmin murmured, checking the charge on the phone.  It was pretty much dead but he could make a call at any time with it plugged in.  “Jae…” he started to say, putting the phone down.  “I know things have been a bit crazy lately.  If you want, the shower should work if you’d like to maybe get cleaned off or just to relax,” he offered, gesturing towards the small space near the kitchen that hid their bathing room.

                Jaejoong nodded mutely and carefully picked himself up, peeking into the bathing room just to make sure everything he’d need was there.  “Thanks,” he murmured softly, closing the door behind him while he peered at himself in the mirror.  The past two days hadn’t exactly been kind to him.  Never mind the bruises hiding under his shirt, there were dark bags beginning to form under his eyes, finger marks on his throat that had yet to fade and burn marks on his wrist that weren’t going anywhere too soon.  In short… he looked a downright mess.

                As carefully as he could, he pried his shirt off, wincing at every motion when it stretched his torso and reminded him sharply that he was still more injured than he preferred to think about.  Glaring at his bindings, he started to try and take them off on his own and eventually let his shoulders slump in reluctant defeat before he trudged back out, looking like a beaten puppy.

                “Jae?” Changmin asked, glancing up from playing with the phone.

                Still pouting, Jaejoong asked, “Can you help me?”  In frustration, he pointed at his bindings.  While they weren’t inordinately difficult to get off, there were several layers and the motion of unwinding them from around his ribs hurt.

                “Of course,” Changmin breathed, hopping to his feet without a second thought.  “Here,” he murmured, grabbing the first layer of partially peeled wrapping and pulling slowly, easing it around Jaejoong’s slender form as he reached his arms around the other male.  Their faces moved close as Changmin continued to unwind the bindings, his body close enough for Jaejoong to feel the heat coming from him while he held his arms up and out of the way, unsure where else to put them.

                Jaejoong hissed briefly when the wrappings pulled at his skin in the final layer but bit his lip which Changmin definitely noticed as he pulled the last strip free, revealing the rest of the mottled bruised flesh for him to see.  “Thank you…” Jaejoong whispered his hands still partially raised level with his head, just blinking at the younger male who placed a gentle, tentative hand upon the bruised ribs, a slight frown pulling at his mouth.

                “You’re welcome,” Changmin responded, torn between giving Jaejoong his space and actually gathering him in his arms to hold him close, wishing he'd have been able to spare his companion the injuries he'd sustained.

                Facing somewhat of the same dilemma, Jaejoong didn’t know if he should lower his arms yet or not… waiting for something that might or might not happen.  Did he want it to?  Well…  Yes and no…  Dammit!  Why were things so confusing?!

                “Jae…” Changmin murmured, sensing the hesitation in his companion as he placed his hands lightly against Jaejoong’s waist where he was least likely to find bruised flesh.

                His breath caught in his throat when he felt the warm palms upon his bare skin, sending an involuntary shiver up his spine.  “Minnie…  Min,” he corrected himself, not entirely sure where they stood anymore as he placed his hands on top of Changmin’s shoulders.  He searched the younger male’s face, looking for something.  He didn’t know what and he couldn’t have described it if someone asked him, but he met the warm brown orbs that seemed to draw him in; saw the sweet and tender lips that had pressed against his before and he knew what he wanted… he shouldn’t have.

                It was impossible to miss the hesitation… the uncertainty in Jaejoong, but there was no outright rejection as he looked back at the beautiful male in front of him.  Carefully, he eased his right hand behind Jaejoong’s lower back, guiding him closer but giving him the chance to escape if it was what he really wanted.  But he didn’t flee.

                When Changmin’s other hand eased up to slide through the hair on the back of his head, holding him tenderly, Jaejoong felt his lower jaw tremble.  “Minnie.  I’m scared,” he admitted in a quiet whisper, the sound little more than a breath passing between his trembling lips.  He was terrified of what had happened, what might still happen and what he needed to do himself but…  He was lost.

                Changmin didn’t bother to offer an answer; he didn’t have one that would be of any use to the other man.  Instead, he simply pulled the shorter male closer, pressing their bodies together before he dipped his head and tasted Jaejoong’s sweet lips once more, securing his arms around the slender body in a possessive but gentle embrace, well aware of his existing injuries.

                Whimpering softly, Jaejoong shifted his hands so that one rested on Changmin’s shoulder and the other on the back of his neck, fingers curling slightly to dig into the younger’s flesh.  He felt his heart race in his chest, the heat of their bodies singing through his blood as he tasted Changmin’s lips with his tongue, feeling the other respond in kind.

                Daring to press his luck, Changmin gripped Jaejoong’s hair lightly in his hand, sliding his other hand up to dig his fingertips into the center of his companion’s back, dragging down the length of his spine slowly, sending a pleasurable tingle down his body.

                Gasping at the sensation, Jaejoong took a shuddering breath as he pushed himself back, giving him room enough to breathe and collect his scattered thoughts.  “Wait… wait,” he pleaded, nearly gasping for air as he kept his forehead pressed against Changmin’s.  “I’m sorry,” he murmured, tearing his gaze away while he pulled himself from the other’s hesitant hold.

                “Jae?” Changmin asked, confused and slightly hurt by the sudden departure.  What had he done wrong this time?

                Jaejoong closed the door behind him carefully and pressed his against the smooth wood, holding it shut with his body before he turned the lock.  He had to take several deep breaths to calm himself down, his hands covering his mouth and nose firmly.  “What are you doing, Jae?” he asked, tracing his fingertips over his eyebrows uselessly.  He wasn't entirely sure why he kept running from something he knew they both wanted but... it just didn't feel right.  Not in the way it needed to anyway...

                Shaken by the encounter and nervous what his exit was going to be like after the shower, Jaejoong turned his attention to the bathing facilities and cranked the faucet on, hoping the hot water would help to ease some of the tension in him.  And maybe grant him a clearer head in the meantime.

                Still not sure what he’d done to upset the other man, Changmin seated himself on the edge of the bed and listened with keen ears as his companion the shower.  He had no idea how long it would take him but he figured he had more than enough time to at least contact Key before something else happened.  Picking up the phone still plugged into the wall, he dialed his friend’s number by heart and waited impatiently for the other to answer.

                “Hello?” the familiar voice answered curiously, leaving Changmin weak-kneed in relief.

                “Key?” he asked, smiling when his friend recognized him almost immediately.

                “Ayah…” he hissed, whispering something to Kevin presumably as the receiver was muffled while he moved to a safer place to talk.  “Minnie?” he asked in confirmation a few seconds later.

                “It’s me.  I’m alright,” he assured the other male quietly with a nod of his head.

                “Where the hell have you been?  I’ve been worried sick about you, pabo!” he hissed, berating the taller male as best he could over the phone.  Changmin knew he was genuinely concerned though which was what made him as angry as he was, but he let him speak.  “You don’t answer your phone.  You disappear for over twenty four hours and then you call me on one of my phones.  Which one are you in?” he demanded after a moment.

                “I’m sure you’ll figure it out, Key,” Changmin sighed.  The less he knew for sure the better, for all their sakes.  “Look.  My phone got ruined in that scuffle yesterday but I’ve got Jaejoong with me.”

                “Seriously, Minnie?” Key groaned, evidently smacking himself in the face if the muted slap was any indication.  “You’re falling for him aren’t you?” he accused in disbelief.

                “Does it matter?” the assassin muttered in response with a glance over his shoulder to make sure the door was still closed.

                “At least tell me you have the documents,” he rolled his eyes.

                “I don’t,” Changmin answered, shaking his head though Key couldn’t see it.

                “Ayah!  You’re killing me, Minnie,” he sighed in frustration.

                “But Yunho and B don’t have them either,” he added into the resultant silence, lowering his voice even more as he heard the water cut off.

                He listened to Key groan on the other side while he waited for him to connect the dots.  “I’m just going to assume you have some sort of a plan at this point,” the informant muttered through clenched teeth, obviously annoyed.

                “I’m still working on that part,” Changmin admitted.  “I need a favor, Key.”

                “You are something else, Minnie,” Key laughed harshly and Changmin could just imagine him slumping back in his chair with his hand over his face.  “What is it?  I’ll see if there’s something I can do in the meantime,” he capitulated eventually.

                “We’re both short on weapons.  Can you get in touch with G and see if maybe he can work something out?” he asked hopefully.  Key likely had some spares lying around but everyone knew Jiyong was the person to go to for weapons that were damnably difficult to trace and guaranteed to work as well, if not better than their legal counterparts.

                Key mumbled quietly under his breath on the other side of the phone and sighed quickly.  “Sure.  When do you need them by?”

                “Yesterday,” Changmin smirked, waiting to hear the response.

                “Really?” Key responded immediately.  “You didn’t just use that cliché line on me did you?” he muttered with an obvious roll of his eyes.  “Good gods you’re such a dork sometimes,” he scoffed, getting up from his chair.

                “I know,” the assassin laughed lightly, smiling in genuine amusement.

                “Keep this phone with you.  I’ll let you know something within the hour,” Key explained before he dropped the call without any further communication.

                “Well then,” he snorted, setting the phone down on the bed as he looked back at the bathroom door, wondering when Jaejoong was going to emerge.

                For his part, Jaejoong felt considerably better for the shower but didn’t exactly want to get into his dirty clothes again.  Then again, he certainly didn’t want to stand around out there in nothing more than a towel either.  With weary acceptance, he toweled off his hair, sending the black strands spiking in every direction, and reluctantly pulled his pants back on, slinging the plain white cloth around his upper body defensively in a bid to cover what he could without having to put his shirt back on.

                Feeling unaccountably nervous, he cracked the door and peeked out, catching sight of Changmin leaning his elbows on his knees as he leaned forward at the foot of the bed.  He started when he realized the younger male was looking at him.  “Hey,” he offered hesitantly, opening the door the rest of the way and slipping free, hovering in front of the entrance with an awkward air about him.

                “Feeling any better?” Changmin asked, the question fairly loaded as he gripped the phone, unhooked it from the charger cord and stuffed it in his pocket.

                Jaejoong nodded quietly, keeping the towel closed in front of him with one hand while his other lingered on the doorframe.  “There’s another towel if you’d like to take a shower too,” he offered, gesturing into the still steamy interior with his eyes flickering between the seated young man and the bathing room quickly.

                Changmin stood up and shook his head with an amused smile on his face.  “Can’t just yet,” he admitted, pausing in front of Jaejoong so he could smooth down some of the crazier strands of hair with both hands, noticing the flush that blossomed across his pale cheeks.

                “Oh?” Jaejoong asked, his bottom lip nervously as he finally looked up and met the taller male’s gaze.

                “Gotta make a run for supplies,” he explained simply dropping his left hand even as he let his right pause against Jaejoong’s face, cupping his cheek warmly.  “Will you be alright by yourself?” he asked earnestly, stepping just that much closer so that his chest was almost in contact with Jaejoong’s hand, holding the towel tighter.

                “I’m a big boy, Min,” he mustered up a brave smile, the false courage obvious but charming all the same.  “I can take care of myself.”

                “So I’ve noticed,” Changmin laughed, a half-smile playing on his lips.  Reluctantly, he pulled his hand back and patted both of Jaejoong’s shoulders with his palms.  “Just… lay low for now.  I won’t be gone long.”

                Jaejoong searched Changmin’s face and nodded slightly, reaching his left hand up to thread a few stray locks of hair behind his ear.  “Be careful.  Minnie,” he murmured, brow creased in worry.  Assassin or not, he was still wounded and they were both targets right now.

                “I’ll be fine,” Changmin winked, surprising Jaejoong with a quick kiss on the lips, the contact short but sweet before he stepped back and saluted him, grinning like a fool.  “I’ll be back as soon as I can,” he stated in parting, edging his tall frame into the narrow space that led to the hidden door.

                Shaking himself once, Jaejoong followed behind him as he watched the assassin pause at the entrance, obviously listening or watching for something.  After a brief hesitation, he nodded to himself and then disappeared through the small opening, leaving Jaejoong alone in the room by himself.  It took him a moment to gather his thoughts but without Changmin’s presence to distract him, he finally moved and investigated the area on his own.

                Eventually, he found a pad of paper and a working pen in the same drawer he’d seen Changmin pull the phone from.  Letting the wheels turn in his head, he started jotting things down; questions and points of interest.  Little facts that he remembered and snippets of incomplete thoughts he couldn’t pull together.  Losing himself in the flow of words, he hunkered down on the bed and let his hand scrawl messily over the neat paper, searching for some sort of an answer or solution to the current dilemma they both faced.

 

(a/n: So the debate in my head was 'More MinJae moments or story progression?'  You can see which one won out.  lol  But, they are in the same room together with the tentative promise of sharing the same bed if it's an overnight stay.  Hmm...  I can't promise anything but we'll see what happens.  I should have a couple things happening in the next update or two so stick around and as always, thank you so much for reading!  You guys are awesome!  ^_^)